Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

De-platforming fascists works

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRoIHm9X08y1f5pRI8ASb9twtiUmt3EMnzYn7UsSUzo3jU58Ewt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

An absolute monstrosity of an column more like.

The vast vast vast majority of those that despise the left today were fully behind exposing abuse in the church ffs.

As for trying to excuse today's corrupt left because liberals of old (along with cenrists by the way) pushed for less censorship.... what an absurd line of argument to make given that today's left are trying to get comedians "cancelled" because they don't like their jokes.

No idea who that journalist is but if that article is anything to go by, he's an idiot.

I used to consider myself a liberal by the way. I campaigned for the sale of condoms here in the late 80's, was in favour of divorce, gay marriage etc but that kind of liberalism is long gone. Liberals today want to control and silence people. They have become the very thing that people like me used to despise. So please, stop comparing liberals of old to today's left as they have very little in common.

In a way Pete, you remind me of the Sith.

It's always absolutes with you. Again you throw out things like "the very vast majority", which you did earlier in the thread too and refuse to provide any form of source of this.

Y'see, I remember the allegations about the Church. I remember the right gathering up against Sinead O'Connor. I remember the abuse thrown at those victims of the church and guess what, they were largely right wing Christians.

You seem to base your opinion of liberals on the madness you see online. You may as well consider Conservative opinions from what you read on The_Donald or Breitbart.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The moderates are not giving into the hard-left, but are being silenced by them for fear of the mob turning on them. As Biko alluded to, this is how the far-left have so much power.

oh i completely agree that this is happening, and it is quite worrying, however we all aren't putting up with the nonsense, and we need to encourage more to follow. we need to take back control of leftism, because if we don't, everything we stand for could be under threat.
    in fairness to biko though, when he said giving in, that can have a couple of different interpretations as to what that would mean, which is why i just wanted to put it across that it won't always be a case of us moderates simply sitting back and letting the hard left have their way.
    This mob is wielding a credible threat; you need to be willing to humiliate yourself by surrendering to the absurd portrayal that these people are creating and then get out of their way so they can go attack somebody else.

i agree they are wielding a credible and serious threat, however i'm not sure we do have to be willing to surrender to them in any way. i certainly understand why some may do so, but i do feel we need to start taking them on. because if we don't, we are going to potentially have serious problems down the line. we are quite rightly good at taking on the far/alt right and even the general right, but not those at the far end of our own side, and that needs to change.
    I have become increasing frustrated with my left brethren who initially I understood their fears, but watching their fears drive them to externalize this harm onto other people who don't deserve it; its hard to respect how self-serving this position is.

A race to the bottom of who can virtue-signal the loudest.

that is very true. and what is worse is that such behaviour is even annoying people like us who generally would agree with most of their views.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

An absolute monstrosity of an column more like.

The vast vast vast majority of those that despise the left today were fully behind exposing abuse in the church ffs.

As for trying to excuse today's corrupt left because liberals of old (along with cenrists by the way) pushed for less censorship.... what an absurd line of argument to make given that today's left are trying to get comedians "cancelled" because they don't like their jokes.

No idea who that journalist is but if that article is anything to go by, he's an idiot.

I used to consider myself a liberal by the way. I campaigned for the sale of condoms here in the late 80's, was in favour of divorce, gay marriage etc but that kind of liberalism is long gone. Liberals today want to control and silence people. They have become the very thing that people like me used to despise. So please, stop comparing liberals of old to today's left as they have very little in common.

Well said.

The people who used be the clergy of the past are often the activists of today.

Same class, same mindset, same urge to control and lecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

batgoat wrote: »
    Been actively on it since January 2009, have never faced a warning of any kind.

Those who express the kind of views you do are Twitter's wet dream, why would they warn you?

Go on Reddit and you'll see many user's posting screenshots of their suspensions which of course always include the offending tweet. Liberals like yourself tend to just accuse them of photoshopping the suspension notice and so now much will convince people that don't want to believe the bias is there.

As I have shown, you can wish rape on famous conservatives and zilch will be done and that's if you even get reported, chances are you won't as non-liberals don't tend to act like lefties online trying to get those they disagree with banned and silenced.

Can't you see that if they are willing to ban non-liberal accounts with high followings, like James Woods for example, that they therefore would give far less thought to suspending accounts which are essentially nobodies, and for a hell of a lot less?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Go on Reddit and you'll see many user's posting screenshots of their suspensions which of course always include the offending tweet.

I've been on reddit since forever. Never seen this. Any particular subreddits :)

And why is it twitters wet dream to have some tweeters and not a tweeter like you?

It's a bit like the bus though is it. The more the merrier for the bus company, but if someone is being a bit of a prick then the bus is better off without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sweetest Perfection

Paypal, Stripe/Mastercard and Bank Of America have been pressured by activists to stop doing business with people who they think have the "wrong opinions".
    How long into the future before an electricity supplier can cut someone off for having an opinion they don't like and decide it's not a "good look" to do business with them?
    I suppose if they don't like the terms of service of a private company they can build their own electricity supply grid.
    Far fetched I know, but entirely possible.

oh i completely agree that this is happening, and it is quite worrying, however we all aren't putting up with the nonsense, and we need to encourage more to follow. we need to take back control of leftism, because if we don't, everything we stand for could be under threat.

Absolutely, it's not just that far left views are being pushed, it's that any opinion that opposes them is being suppressed (by shadow banning much more so than account suspensions) and that is why I emphasize it's non-liberal that are being affected rather than conservatives as even moderate liberals are sick of this new left.

Lots of feminists in particular feel that the new wave of feminism has gone to far to the left. Christina Hoff Sommers was recently speaking about this on Maher. Ground needs to be clawed back for sure but I'm not sure it will be as the fact is that what they have been doing has been very effective.

Not suggesting that the following altered the abortion referendum result here but Google were found to have manipulated search results in the run up with the objective of seeing that more people voted Yes:

https://www.projectveritas.com/2019/06/26/blacklisted-leaked-youtube-doc-appears-to-show-election-interference/

They said, in response, that they blacklisted certain searches so that authoritative content was brought to the top of search results for both pro-choice and pro-life queries but that's baloney. Yes they did blacklist on both sides but not to the same degree and some searches they determined should be blacklisted were legitimate views that could have resulted in them seeing entirely different information.

I love the "wrong opinions" thing.

Maybe some day peoples electric will be gone for liking the wrong beatles album... Crazy times ahead!

(in fact I better warn my folks, their opinions are so behind the times, but they are still on twitter haha, with just one account each!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Absolutely, it's not just that far left views are being pushed, it's that any opinion that opposes them is being suppressed (by shadow banning much more so than account suspensions) and that is why I emphasize it's non-liberal that are being affected rather than conservatives as even moderate liberals are sick of this new left.

Lots of feminists in particular feel that the new wave of feminism has gone to far to the left. Christina Hoff Sommers was recently speaking about this on Maher. Ground needs to be clawed back for sure but I'm not sure it will be as the fact is that what they have been doing has been very effective.

Not suggesting that the following altered the abortion referendum result here but Google were found to have manipulated search results in the run up with the objective of seeing that more people voted Yes:

https://www.projectveritas.com/2019/06/26/blacklisted-leaked-youtube-doc-appears-to-show-election-interference/

They said, in response, that they blacklisted certain searches so that authoritative content was brought to the top of search results for both pro-choice and pro-life queries but that's baloney. Yes they did blacklist on both sides but not to the same degree and some searches they determined should be blacklisted were legitimate views that could have resulted in them seeing entirely different information.

Look. I can get on board with the idea that the loonier ends of the batsh!t left have had unjust success in their campaigns against other people who don't buy into the idea that some dude wearing a dress on the weekends is the same sex a someone born with a vagina.

But I'm not going to take project veritas or breitbart links seriously because if you're using those sources to inform yourself, you're going to be seriously misinformed and honestly, I can write your opinions off as the product of poor judgement. They aren't just biased. In fact PV makes breitbart look like Reuters. And even you by now should have figured out that any media with "truth" in the title is about as truthful as a country with "democratic" in its name is rarely democratic.

You talk about echo-chambers but can't see the whole you've found yourself in when you think that project veritas and breitbart are perfectly normal places to get reliable information from.

Is de-platforming a term being used by people who complain about snowflakes?

Are people seriously getting banned from twitter and crying about it? Twitter?

Are the millennials that addicted to social media? That they are upset about being banned from twitter, multiple times..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,100 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sure if the perma offended werent getting weekly bans from twitter what could they moan about eh?
    hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Is de-platforming a term being used by people who complain about snowflakes?

Are people seriously getting banned from twitter and crying about it? Twitter?

Are the millennials that addicted to social media? That they are upset about being banned from twitter, multiple times..

Over the last few years it seems those who used to mock snowflakes for their crying/whinging have now become the crying snowflakes :pac:

pjohnson wrote: »
    Sure if the perma offended werent getting weekly bans from twitter what could they moan about eh?

Over the last few years it seems those who used to mock snowflakes for their crying/whinging have now become the crying snowflakes :pac:

The perpetually offended going by this forum anyway.

The Chapelle thread being the best proof of it!

Nobody would have an issue with them removing Milo if they applied the same standards across the board, but they clearly do not.

They're a private company, they can ban who they want for whatever reason they want. They don't have to be fair. Don't like it, Milo? Tough. Suck it up and find somewhere else to spout your inane crap.
    Prime example is people calling Trump a racist and fascist because he doesn't want illegal immigration. He's married to an immigrant ffs.

People call him a racist and fascist because he says racist things and carries out fascist actions and aligns himself with actual fascists. The fact he's married to and comes from a family of immigrants is lost on him, because "immigrants" is code for brown people in his book.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it is effective yes, however authoritarianism does eventually become undone, and that as pushed by the authoritarian/regressive left will i feel end up going the same way. it will take time and a lot of damage will be done in the mean time, but clawing back ground can and will be done i believe.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

Gab is a great site if you've been asked to stop twittering and you're upset about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Declan Lynch has been a staple in Irish journalism for over 30 years.

I'm really surprised you haven't heard of him.

I could probably take one guess as to why that is, and I bet I'd be right.

You've called him an idiot though, so that's me and him told.

Everybody that right wing zealots disagree with is "an idiot". You know you really should go into journalism or perhaps comedy yourself with devastating put downs like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Should probably read up on the founder of Vice. It was created by the same man who set up the Proud Boys, along side other media formats he made too.

While Vice is frankly total trash, it's purpose is to get clicks with insane articles just like his right-wing based media formats.

As for Milo. Well I remember when he first came on the scene, a very charismatic and charming guy who made some very valid points about "far-left" views and censorship. The problem is that's all the Milo had, charisma and charm. When actually faced with a decent debate he couldn't stand his own and quickly found that buzz words can only take you so far.

So then he went on to be a shock jock, doing the same thing as the people he spoke against, but coming it from another angle. While I personally don't believe he is racist, he certainly appealed greatly to a racist and xenophobic community.

Milo has always had about as much charisma and charm as a sex offender. Dripping slime like he does is some kind of discharge alright, but it's not charm.

Yes, Gavin McInnes founded Vice.

Vice is great in my opinion. Even moderates and progressives call it trash, I don't understand. Because they've made booboos in the field? Their contribution to the world is still a net positive, I've learned things through watching their videos I never would've if they weren't around. They popularized the mini-doc format that went on to be pinched by Vox, Motherboard, umpteen other channels. Heroes for people like me with teeny tiny attention spans :P

Gab is a great site if you've been asked to stop twittering and you're upset about it.

And if you're planning a massacre at a synagogue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Modern facism is coming from the left.

Yes. The people who aren't fascists - they're the real fascists.

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    And if you're planning a massacre at a synagogue.

Just don't want the lads here getting banned from a silly website, I mean de-platformed, feeling left out.

Has anyone here who has been de-platformed from twitter been de-platformed from any WhatsApp groups or any real life meet ups?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Has anyone here who has been de-platformed from twitter been de-platformed from any WhatsApp groups or any real life meet ups?

Asking for a friend?

PostWoke wrote: »
    Asking for a friend?

Haha yeah. I was de-platformed at a party the other night. For having a different opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

they're not fascists, they're just in positions of power in tech and media

As I said on the Antifa thread, just because the left SAY that they are fighting fascism, doesn't make it so. That's just a guise, a facade, a way to hide in plain sight. Their (the left's) behavior is more fascistic than the majority they condemn. Wanting to silence those you disagree with is not anti-fascistic, it's fascist for heaven sake. You can say you're a horse as much as you like but if you look and walk like a duck, you're a duck.

*Horse = Anti-fascist.
    *Duck = fascist.

Just because someone SAYS they got de-platformed from twitter for differing opinions, it doesn't mean they did.

Absolutely, but the difference being, we have evidence that the left's behavior today is largely the polar opposite of what way a true anti-fascist would behave and so that's why I am saying pay no mind to their self declarations.

• Advertisement

*Horse = Anti-fascist.
    *Duck = fascist.
    Ducks are the real fascists now, eh? :D

Did one of them splash water all over you in Stephen's Green or something?

So you're telling us "My Lovely Horse" was an anti-fascist song?

US style online right wing "culture warriors" sure have some weird views. :D

Advertisement