Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Questions about teaching English and Business to Post Primary.

• 08-09-2019 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I'm in a strange situation.

I originally went to college for Business - hated it because 2/3s of the course was Economics and Accounting, with some maths and stats thrown in for good measure.
    I enjoyed the Marketing, Management, HR, IS and everything else but the Econ and Accounting.
    As a result I left after passing first year (passing maths and financial accounting by compensation).

I was planning on starting back into a business degree whereby I can choose less econ and accounting modules and more of the business stuff I liked.

I had a change of heart when I was helping my sister with her English homework and that's when it hit me - I really want to teach, and I want to specifically teach English.
    I also really enjoy Business and I can see myself teaching both.

Long story short:
    I am going into a part time level 8 degree in Arts with a major in English & Drama (75 ECTS), with 2 minors in Marketing and Management (40 ECTS x 2), the other ECTS are made up of electives and core modules.
    I have chosen Management Accounting, Statistics and Microeconomics as my electives since I'll be getting exemptions in those 3.
    I'm doing this with the intention of teaching English and Business to Leaving Cert.

Questions:

Will my first year results from the business degree count towards the accreditation for Post Primary Teaching? As far as I can see they will.

It mentions on the curriculum requirements that the business degree must comprise 4 specific areas, I'll be studying Marketing and Management throughout the degree, with some tid-bits of Entrepreneurship and the likes throughout, but do these 4 areas need to be taken throughout the degree?
    I don't know if I will meet the requirements if not.

Will the modules where I passed by compensation count (granted first year of the business degree counts)?
    I'll be getting 50 ECTS exemptions in the part time programme, but I will not be getting exemptions in the 2 modules passed by compensation.
    I'm not against undertaking a level 6 or a diploma but it's just more hassle.

I know typically first year of an uncompleted course does not count but since I'm getting accreditations/exemptions going into the part time course, hopefully they do count.
    By that same logic it would mean the 2 I'm not getting exemptions for not count, even though I have technically passed them and I was accredited for them when applying for advanced entry into a business degree.

I would need the financial accounting accreditation to teach business at Junior Certificate level.

I've emailed the teaching council but I thought I might get a quicker response here from you knowledgeable folks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Check are they still limiting the numbers of people entering to train for Business teaching. Huge over supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Please read the multitude of posts on this site and others from English and business teachers who cannot get full time work. As a business teacher who hates economics, accounting and maths you may even be less employable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

Please read the multitude of posts on this site and others from English and business teachers who cannot get full time work. As a business teacher who hates economics, accounting and maths you may even be less employable.

Would I be better off looking at teaching English and Geography instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Avoid getting into teaching unless you are able to teach Maths or Languages. English, History, Religion, Geography and Business are heavily oversubscribed and you may need additional part time work to supplement your income for the first few years. You’ll also have to likely move around a bit to get work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Geography is no better. But it will depend on location. I know of unfilled English and Religion positions in Dublin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement