Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Working with Siberian Larch: long masonry SDS drill bit

Options
  • 07-09-2019 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭

Bought some 6 by 1 of the above yesterday to make an outside small stand for a gas plancha.
    Its rough so wonder what kind of a sander would be best to get rid of the burrs.
    I don't need it 100% smooth.
    Am told its pretty good for being left outside all year..
    Any thoughts on it as a timber?
    Need a SDS drill , with a working length of 900mm:
    I have drilled a 700mm 80mm dia hole though a wall, which is 800, hence the question.
    Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bought some 6 by 1 of the above yesterday to make an outside small stand for a gas plancha.
    Its rough so wonder what kind of a sander would be best to get rid of the burrs.
    I don't need it 100% smooth.
    Am told its pretty good for being left outside all year..
    Any thoughts on it as a timber?
    Need a SDS drill , with a working length of 900mm:
    I have drilled a 700mm 80mm dia hole though a wall, which is 800, hence the question.
    Thanks as always

Aldi or Lidl have those length drill bits in frequently I've bought mine in there. Grand job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

A half sheet sander, and start with 80 grit sandpaper, work up through the grits till you get the finish you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

For sanding put P40 or course grit paper sanding disks in a 115mm angle grinder https://www.amazon.co.uk/115mm-Rubber-Backing-Grinder-Sanding/dp/B0104IVIX0/ as an example. The disks that course will leave marks so you may want to finish with something finer. With a bit of skill you can make the wood look like its been adzed with sanding disks.

Advertisement