Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Retro Gaming on Switch

• 07-09-2019 10:42am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So,
    Emulation by hacking and homebrew aside,

How are folk finding the NES and SNES online services on the Nintendo Switch?

I'm really enjoying it myself, with the introduction of the Super Nintendo content now it's pretty great.
    Pity then that the schedule of additional titles to the Snes library is not well mapped out, so we don't know how often more will land or what companies might have denied their content to the service
    I'm hoping Konami will see their titles added soon!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm enjoying it while also being reminded how much I dislike 240p games on LCD screens. It looks as ugly as poo.

Was hoping there's be some scanline options to help!

Find it sad in a way that kids experiencing these games for the first time will think that's how they are meant to look.

I suppose that's just the old grumpy man within me, shouting at clouds again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I think it can only be a positive, it offers people an easy way to try games that they may have never considered playing before. It may even encourage some to buy a few and try playing them on original hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    Was hoping there's be some scanline options to help!

Is there not?? I could have sworn I read there was? Big mistake if so, retro games look ugly as fook when output vanilla onto a modern screen.

Nintendo really need to take a look at the options people have; for over a year now people have been able to play entire romsets of systems, from Atari, to PC Engine CD, through solutions that provide scanlines etc. I know they've implemented leaderboards & things like that, but the potential of the Switch as a retro gaming device is MASSIVE, and Ninty seem oblivious to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

I’ve played a few games of Mario Kart online against the players I played at the world championship

My feeling and the feelings of others is that it’s really really good and we are going to try petition Nintendo to upload the PAL version as well as that’s the version that’s used at the championship.

I’ll be around at points if anyone wants to try their luck against me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Sparks43 wrote: »
    we are going to try petition Nintendo to upload the PAL version as well

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

A major landmark moment has happened in the Super Mario Kart community. Up until now only original SNES or Wii VC times were allowed on the record site.

But now with the release on switch the decision has been made to allow players to enter.

No save states or rewind is allowed and mostly your times will be non nbt so consider a time around top 200 to be your target for now

Switch = NTSC so that’s the reference if looking to join the site :)

I think this link should be ok to leave here and feel free to message me if anyone needs any more information.

I would love to see more players from Ireland active on the site and in the SMK community. I’ve had a lot of fun over the last year and am looking forward to keep on improving towards next years World Championship

http://www.mariokartplayers.com/smk/join.php

Advertisement