Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long does a real Christmas tree last?

• 05-09-2019 8:22pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I might actually have the room to have a real Christmas tree this year, and while I'd love it, I'm not sure if it'll work. I have an artificial tree which I always put up on the 1st of December, but if I put up a real tree on the 1st, what state would it be in by Christmas day? My parents always have a real one but they don't put it up until about 10 days before, and I don't think I could wait that long :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Used to get 3 weeks anyway, that was with low / no heat on and topping up the holder with water.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Hmmm, my house is boiling so that might be a problem. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Realistically that’s far too early to put it up, people will tell you ways to extend it but after 2 weeks you can see the difference and by 3 it’s pretty much done. Don’t forget it will be around for a week or so after too. Your probably 2 weeks early at 1st December

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

We use to have an artificial tree and then 3 years ago went to a real one. The last couple of years my parents, sister and us have bought our trees together. My parents lasted the longest and ours the least, with their house being in generally the coldest and ours the warmest. When I mean last, i.e. branches drooping, pine needles falling off. So in my limited experience, heat definitely plays a part.

We usually put ours up around first week of Dec and by the 6th Jan is looking a bit sorry for itself :(

Having to cut it up is one of the low points of my year. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

If you're getting a real tree, try buy a stand which the try sits in so that you can fill the stand with water. It will help the tree last longer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Have you room for two trees? The first year we were in our house we got only a real tree but we have underfloor heating & the poor thing was in a sorry state come Christmas Day (& we didn't put it up on the 1st) - had to take it out by the 28th.

So now we have a fake tree that we put up in the kitchen on December 1st which keeps us going until we get our real tree for the sitting room around December 15th. Mr CL also devised a stand that will hold water for it too & it really helps.

If you're getting a real tree, try buy a stand which the try sits in so that you can fill the stand with water. It will help the tree last longer

Second this. We got the IKEA stand with a small tree that we gave to my parents to use a second tree in their porch. Think the stand and tree were €30/35. Easy to keep topped up with water.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The 2 trees is an interesting idea...

My kitchen and living room is open plan, but the hall is big enough to accommodate a small tree and that would definitely get the smell all through the house.

The other thing I was thinking of was just putting a real one outside - I have a giant set of outdoor lights that used to go around my balcony railing but I didn't know what I was going to do with them this year.

I'm assuming a real tree would last longer outside due to less warmth and regularly watering courtesy of the lovely weather :pac:

Toots wrote: »
    The 2 trees is an interesting idea...

My kitchen and living room is open plan, but the hall is big enough to accommodate a small tree and that would definitely get the smell all through the house.

The other thing I was thinking of was just putting a real one outside - I have a giant set of outdoor lights that used to go around my balcony railing but I didn't know what I was going to do with them this year.

I'm assuming a real tree would last longer outside due to less warmth and regularly watering courtesy of the lovely weather :pac:

3 trees!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

An outside one is a good idea and if it's just the smell you are after, Yankee Candle do a Christmas Tree candle which is delish! I use it in my kitchen :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

TRS30 wrote: »
    3 trees!! :D

We normally have 2, this year we're upgrading to 3!! & this time it was the Mrs idea :D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I always have one tree in the hall, one in the kitchen and one in the sitting room. Always three trees in my house!

No real ones though. I need my trees to last a good month and a half, like. :D

Posy wrote: »
    I always have one tree in the hall, one in the kitchen and one in the sitting room. Always three trees in my house!

No real ones though. I need my trees to last a good month and a half, like. :D

Can I assume your from Cork Posy?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

There is a youtube video where they try different liquids to feed a Christmas tree to see what gives the tree the best chance to last and the winner was 7-up. I would imagine the sugars helped feed the tree a little bit.
    Don't forget to cut an inch or two off the bottom of the tree to expose free timber which will suck up the water better.

I would LOVE 3 trees! My parents always do 4 - giant real one in main living room, smaller fake one in the second sitting room, small fake one on the return landing and small real one in the porch.

I’m trying to convince the hubby to let me have 2 and that’s tough going. He told me I can have whatever sort of tree I want but only 1. There’s 13 foot ceilings in my living room, so I could fit a mahoosive tree in if I wait til mid December and go with a real one! I’m not sure did he anticipate some 10 foot monster tree, but the kids would lose their minds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

I might actually have the room to have a real Christmas tree this year, and while I'd love it, I'm not sure if it'll work. I have an artificial tree which I always put up on the 1st of December, but if I put up a real tree on the 1st, what state would it be in by Christmas day? My parents always have a real one but they don't put it up until about 10 days before, and I don't think I could wait that long :pac:

Go with the artificial for 2 weeks then a real one for the rest. Two tree dressings :) but the lights GRRRR as mine always end up in a tangle

I would LOVE 3 trees! My parents always do 4 - giant real one in main living room, smaller fake one in the second sitting room, small fake one on the return landing and small real one in the porch.

I’m trying to convince the hubby to let me have 2 and that’s tough going. He told me I can have whatever sort of tree I want but only 1. There’s 13 foot ceilings in my living room, so I could fit a mahoosive tree in if I wait til mid December and go with a real one! I’m not sure did he anticipate some 10 foot monster tree, but the kids would lose their minds :D

As part of our house work, we removed a build in unit from the hall. Was hanging some pictures last night and the wife said with the extra room we have in the hallway now we could put up a little Christmas tree there as well.

Don't think I have ever loved her as much (joking.........kinda:))

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I would love a real tree, but we're going to be back in Ireland for two weeks over Christmas so it's probably impractical.

Our neighbours across the street have a Christmas tree growing in their front garden and they have outdoor lights in it, it is going to look amazing when it snows (I'm in Canada)

Advertisement