Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parents sitting at the school waiting for their children to go inside

Options
  • 04-09-2019 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭

I've noticed this a lot when I drop kids off to National school. There are always the parents who wait until the last minute to let their kids out of the car and if they dare to let them out a bit early to go play with the other kids, they sit in the car and watch them and wait until they go into the school before they leave. The same parents will be at the school 15 minutes before quitting time and they'll walk to the front door to meet their kids. I'm not talking about junior infants either. My kids are in a rural school and I see parents of 3rd, 4th and even 5th class parents doing this. One 6th class mother does it but she gets a free pass because she's mad. What do parents think is going to happen if they allow their kids a bit of free space. Are we raising a generation if molly coddled little darlings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Gerry G wrote: »
    I've noticed this a lot when I drop kids off to National school. There are always the parents who wait until the last minute to let their kids out of the car and if they dare to let them out a bit early to go play with the other kids, they sit in the car and watch them and wait until they go into the school before they leave. The same parents will be at the school 15 minutes before quitting time and they'll walk to the front door to meet their kids. I'm not talking about junior infants either. My kids are in a rural school and I see parents of 3rd, 4th and even 5th class parents doing this. One 6th class mother does it but she gets a free pass because she's mad. What do parents think is going to happen if they allow their kids a bit of free space. Are we raising a generation if molly coddled little darlings?

Why do you care? Leave them to it.

Also, for you to know that they sit around waiting and watching for their kids, you must be sitting around watching them waiting and watching for their kids...which is weirder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

EDit wrote: »

Also, for you to know that they sit around waiting and watching for their kids, you must be sitting around watching them waiting and watching for their kids...which is weirder?

Do i ****, I barely wait for the car to be fully stopped before churning my kids out of the car, then I leave again in a hail of gravel coming from my tyres. It's not hard to spot the lurkers though, just wondering is there a reason they do it, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Are they supervised while playing? I know that in our school they aren't, and they aren't insured for it either.
    Notes are regularly sent home reminding parents that they aren't covered by insurance & they aren't in a position to provide supervision before school starts, yet some parents still dump their kids and leave them to it.
    Maybe those parents are actually following the rules and not letting their kids run wild.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Are they supervised while playing? I know that in our school they aren't, and they aren't insured for it either.
    Notes are regularly sent home reminding parents that they aren't covered by insurance & they aren't in a position to provide supervision before school starts, yet some parents still dump their kids and leave them to it.
    Maybe those parents are actually following the rules and not letting their kids run wild.

They're supervised from 9.10am. School starts at 9.20am. The parents still hang around though. Maybe they have nothing else to be at

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Matinclunn

In our primary school the door is open at 8.40 school starts at 8.50, no one is allowed to leave there child at the door till it opens. No one is allowed to let there child play in the yard under any circumstances. Doors are locked at 8.50 and if your late you have to sign your childs name into a book at the front door and ring the doorbell.

• Advertisement

Matinclunn wrote: »
    In our primary school the door is open at 8.40 school starts at 8.50, no one is allowed to leave there child at the door till it opens. No one is allowed to let there child play in the yard under any circumstances. Doors are locked at 8.50 and if your late you have to sign your childs name into a book at the front door and ring the doorbell.

Jaysus, do you live in America?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Matinclunn

Gerry G wrote: »
    Jaysus, do you live in America?

😄 I know it’s crazy, live in tuam.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Matinclunn wrote: »
    This is kind of how it is for ours, on paper.

The reality is that kids who are 8+ usually wander up to the school on their own from 8:20 onwards, kids all line up from 8:45 and the vice principal stands at the door until 8:58 telling the late arrivals to hurry up. Nobody is ever really made sign in until well after 9, even if they've had to go in through the front door.

On the OP's point, a lot of parents aren't comforable just leaving their kids flying around a public space unsupervised. Until they actually go in the door, you don't know if they made it to school.

At the same time, kids don't want their parents hanging around while they play with their mates, so observation at a distance is what they choose.

This was going on well before the current generation. I remember one poor bastard who lived literally a stone's throw from the school and his mother was there every day to drop him and pick him up, right to the end of 6th class.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭idayang

I don't understand either,however it doesn't bother me as long as they like......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

seamus wrote: »
    This is kind of how it is for ours, on paper.

The reality is that kids who are 8+ usually wander up to the school on their own from 8:20 onwards, kids all line up from 8:45 and the vice principal stands at the door until 8:58 telling the late arrivals to hurry up. Nobody is ever really made sign in until well after 9, even if they've had to go in through the front door.

On the OP's point, a lot of parents aren't comforable just leaving their kids flying around a public space unsupervised. Until they actually go in the door, you don't know if they made it to school.

At the same time, kids don't want their parents hanging around while they play with their mates, so observation at a distance is what they choose.

This was going on well before the current generation. I remember one poor bastard who lived literally a stone's throw from the school and his mother was there every day to drop him and pick him up, right to the end of 6th class.

Bloody hell. I walked unsupervised to school from the time I was six, and it was fifteen minutes walk each way to and from my house. What sort of clueless eejits come off the back of being micromanaged like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

EDit wrote: »

It's also possible that that's what the child asks their mother to do..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Bloody hell. I walked unsupervised to school from the time I was six, and it was fifteen minutes walk each way to and from my house. What sort of clueless eejits come off the back of being micromanaged like that?

But your school was just for you and in the grounds of your estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's also possible that that's what the child asks their mother to do..

It's also possible that I'll be selected for the first manned mission to Mars. Unlikely but possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I did the very same up until 2nd class. I drop and leave now. I think up to a certain age it's ok but you are right in saying they need to be given autonomy at some stage. We were sent a letter home asking parents not to stand in the yard with the kids as it gets too crowded. Completely ignored by most. When my 2 boys were in junior infants I stood outside the railings and watched them go in. The ones standing in at the front of the lines are in there talking ****e to each other even after being asked not to as they are in the way a lot of the time when the teachers are directing the lines in.

Advertisement