Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Caffeine during marathon

• 30-08-2019 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Do people take caffeine during a marathon? In what format and when ? Trying to practice race day nutrition and not sure what my best options are . Have bought shot bloks with caffeine ?

Thanks
    BS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I've been repeatedly told it can go great in the final quarter as an energy boost. Maybe carry a caffeine whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Hi,

Do people take caffeine during a marathon? In what format and when ? Trying to practice race day nutrition and not sure what my best options are . Have bought shot bloks with caffeine ?

Thanks
    BS

I've taken Gu Espresso and High-5 caffeine gels during marathons. I've used Bloks too, but not the ones with caffeine. Generally you want the caffeine hit during the second half of the race, so take 'em around half way.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Have used the Clif bloks (Black Cherry with caffeine) for long runs in Ironman events and, like said above, they can provide a much needed boost towards the latter part of the run. They are however an acquired taste and I now general use a High-5 caffeine gel instead as I found the bloks a bit sickening. Recommend trying to try before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks
    BS

You can get gels with caffeine in it, but it only works if you don't really drink coffee!! If you drink coffee your body will be used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,555 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Too much and you'd probably fail a dope test....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭carbonceiling

walshb wrote: »

Caffeine isn't prohibited by WADA

"Bupropion, caffeine, nicotine, phenylephrine,
    phenylpropanolamine, pipradrol, and synephrine: These
    substances are included in the 2019 Monitoring Program, and
    are not considered Prohibited Substances"

I do drink Coffee but will take a caffeinated gel in the latter half of a long race or if I am out for a long bike ride for a few hours. I find it takes about 20 mins to kick in, but does provide a nice little boost. It's not a sudden boost, you just notice that you are tipping along nicely again, having flagged a little before the gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

walshb wrote: »

Not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

You can get gels with caffeine in it, but it only works if you don't really drink coffee!! If you drink coffee your body will be used to it.

For my one and only marathon, I cut down on caffeine in the week leading up to it and took caffeinated Tailwind from mile 18. I felt like a new woman when it hit my system but started to feel nauseous from mile 23 - not sure if I can pin that on the caffeine or not, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,555 ✭✭✭✭walshb

YFlyer wrote: »
    Not anymore.

Yes...true. I was being facetious. I remember in the early stages of testing in the 1980s, a few cups of coffeee could see you fail a test......

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Evan Scully

Caffeine was on the banned list up until early 2000s.
    It helps for sure, but to get the best out of it, you should cut down for 2 weeks prior and then you'll get a better hit from it come race day.
    Its also worth noting that caffeine takes roughly 40mins to kick in. So taking a caffeinated gel at 22 miles will only mean you can put your clothes on faster! So time the intake of it.
    I have a 2 videos on my youtube channel about marathon nutrition and also caffeine (but i cant link it as I'm only new here)

Evan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I’ve used the caffeine isogels in the past and found them good. I used one for both my half marathons this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Caffeine was on the banned list up until early 2000s.
    It helps for sure, but to get the best out of it, you should cut down for 2 weeks prior and then you'll get a better hit from it come race day.
    Its also worth noting that caffeine takes roughly 40mins to kick in. So taking a caffeinated gel at 22 miles will only mean you can put your clothes on faster! So time the intake of it.
    I have a 2 videos on my youtube channel about marathon nutrition and also caffeine (but i cant link it as I'm only new here)

Evan

Hi Evan ,

I’ve seen the video already- picked up the link from Facebook . Great info.

Thanks
    BS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I drink a lot of coffee 4/5 cups a day. For 3 weeks before a marathon I stop and go decaf. Then when I take a caffeinated gel in the later stages of my target marathon I can feel my body actually respond to the caffeine hit. I've tried not quitting caffeine in the run up and the perceived boost isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

sideswipe wrote: »
    I drink a lot of coffee 4/5 cups a day. For 3 weeks before a marathon I stop and go decaf. Then when I take a caffeinated gel in the later stages of my target marathon I can feel my body actually respond to the caffeine hit. I've tried not quitting caffeine in the run up and the perceived boost isn't there.

No caffeine and tapering... Id be like the Hulk !

Advertisement