Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teaching practice question

• 20-08-2019 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Hi guys, I'm starting the PME primary education course with hibernia college in September. I've sent off garda vetting forms to the college for evaluation and I need to find a school to do my first teaching practice. I have a question though. How exactly do I apply for teaching practice? Is there a procedure? Do I need a CV for the school, do I sit an interview with them, that sort of thing.... just a bit lost with starting out with it. I'd like to get a placement as soon as I can.

Thank you all very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

No procedure as such... dress well, print off a stack of CVs and drive around to as many local schools as you can. Try to get in between half 9 and 1, after the morning rush and before the infants go home. Ask the secretary if the principal is available and introduce yourself, say when you would need the placement and emphasise your willingness to slot in anywhere. They will probably say that they will ask their staff and get back to you, or else that they're sorry, they have already booked in as many students as they can this year. Don't be disheartened if they say they can't take you, it's nothing personal- some schools have a maximum number of students they can accommodate in one year, or if they have a high proportion of teachers on their first year out they can't supervise students. Just keep trying. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭pooch90

What part of the country will you be looking in?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

LoganRice wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm starting the PME primary education course with hibernia college in September. I've sent off garda vetting forms to the college for evaluation and I need to find a school to do my first teaching practice. I have a question though. How exactly do I apply for teaching practice? Is there a procedure? Do I need a CV for the school, do I sit an interview with them, that sort of thing.... just a bit lost with starting out with it. I'd like to get a placement as soon as I can.

Thank you all very much!

I made a list of schools within a suitable radius and contacted each one of them. I used a combination of email/phone call, but never visited any in person. In the email, I introduced myself, specified exactly what I was looking for (senior class etc.) and mentioned any relevant criteria (teaching 3 lessons per day etc.). Be prepared to be declined by a lot of schools, but you absolutely will get sorted in the end. I got my first TP organised on the very last day set by the college. They had actually granted me a short extension because I was so unsure if I'd have it sorted by the deadline, but luckily I didn't need it.

Let me know if you have any questions/queries about the course!

Advertisement