Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which protein powder brand & flavour makes you want to vomit least?

Options
  • 20-08-2019 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

In the past I used Myprotein's Hard Gainer Extreme, but switched some time ago to a homemade barely blended (to try keep retain fibre) high protein yoghurt, milk, chia seeds, peanutbutter, walnuts, and two bananas.

I thought it might be more convenient to sub this shake, and another of my five meals for a quick powder shake. I found some smooth chocolate flavour in the boot of my car a few days ago and had it with milk and it was very thick and too sweet tasting - in fairness it was after the best before by few months, and I did not drink the shake for several hours after I made it which I guess would have made it thicker.

I was looking at the same product, now with a different name:

Extreme Gainer Blend

Most of the reviews report it is sickeningly sweet and too thick, some mention they prefer competitors taste and the amount of protein per shake.

Is there a flavour of that product that is less sweet, perhaps Vanilla, or can you recommend an alternate product from another supplier?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I love myproteins chocolate smooth flavour. I can easily add it to oatmeal and even drink it with water.

I personally cannot drink any flavour other than chocolate, I would end up gagging. The chocolate smooth is the only one I can drink without gagging...I infact even enjoy the taste of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Bulkpowders make some delicious wheys. I've tried about seven or eight of their flavours and couldn't fault one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Always liked Optimum Nutrition, some good flavours

The nicest I ever had is a butter cream toffee flavour from Dymatize

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I usually drink either vanilla (MyProtein/Bulkpowders) or strawberry cream (Bulkpowders). I especially like the strawberry cream!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Those gainer products aren't protein powders. They're a protein/carb blend and significantly different. Always just been a vanilla whey fan, not that I use it much except in greek yoghurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Thanks for all the replies.

Bulkpowder's Complete Mass seems to be their competing product, unless there is another I am missing?

Right now there is 35% off with a code, would this be higher at different times of the month? I know with Myprotein, at least in the past, if you order around payday you usually get the highest discount.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Don't buy mass gainers. Buy whey isolate and eat loads. The amount of sugar in most.mass gainers is horrific.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Brian? wrote: »
    Don't buy mass gainers. Buy whey isolate and eat loads. The amount of sugar in most.mass gainers is horrific.

I hear you, but I read:
    Most budget mass gainers use low quality protein sources in worthless amounts and sugar as the carbohydrate source. Whilst this can contribute to weight gain, it certainly does not deliver the quality gains in muscle and size that Complete Mass™ does.
    The blend of premium protein sources ensures a constant supply of amino acids to the muscles, which is vital for muscle growth. This is complemented by the complex carbohydrate source (in the form of Instant Oats), which ensures a steady supply of energy and regulates blood sugar levels.

Zz2lcCp.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Brian? wrote: »

From what I've seen they're just calories with a splash of protein (good ones and bad), you'd be far better off eating as much decent food as you can and adding in extra protein (if needed).

Oh, for flavors, MyProtein's Mocha flav drop is awesome, I use it in unflavored protein powder.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I hear you, but I read:

Zz2lcCp.png?1

66g of carbs per serving. Wowsers. That's most certainly not protein powder.

I standby what I said, eat loads. Fill the gaps with whey isolate.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

MyProtein Natural Chocolate whey, with milk, tastes like a McDonalds milkshake. Sometimes I'll mix it half and half with unflavoured whey if I'm not in the mood for something that sweet.

Mass gainers are always going to be gloopier because they're effectively like putting a couple of slices of bread in a blender with some protein powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I hear you, but I read:

The "premium blend of protein" is just one of protein powders. Which is maybe 1/3 of the mix. The other 2/3 is oats. Which cost about a euro.

Just buy the protein blend on its own and buy oats in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Mellor wrote: »
    Just buy the protein blend on its own and buy oats in Tesco.

MyProtein do huge 5KG bags of powdered oats for a pittance if that is what someone is after.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Myprotein Vanilla or Strawberry Cream. Their Chocolate Smooth is nice too, but the vanilla or strawberry are my "go to" options. I tend to have it mixed with yogurt or porridge (either hot or as overnight oats) rather than shakes.

I've actually built a bit of a collection of their flavour drops (normally used with natural yogurt) so next order I'm going to swap out strawberry cream for unflavoured and see how that works!

Not the cheapest option, but you could always try a sample box too. There's some nice flavours, but not enough to make me want a full bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I presume you're trying to gain weight if you're looking at mass gainers, I used to only buy them too and never really saw results, what I do now is use 2 scoops of myproteins strawberry flavoured protein powder, 2 scoops of myprotein's instant oats and fill it with full fat milk, sometimes add coconut oil too for extra calories. Blend it up and it tastes pretty good to me. About 800cals or so in 650ml. I've seen more weight gain with that mix than any I did with mass gainers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

https://www.pinksun.co.uk/whey-protein-grass-fed-hormone-free/isolate-unflavoured/natural-whey-protein-isolate

This stuff. No colouring, flavouring or any of the usual BS crap in get in most whey protein.

I am on my 3rd 3KG bag. Two scopes everyday to aid with marathon training.

It smells and tastes atrocious on its own with water (add some Stevia liquid) but it really takes the edge off the DOMs. But very smooth on the stomach and no compulsion to vomit.

ps It was a sports nutritionist that tipped me off.

I hear you, but I read:

Zz2lcCp.png?1

29.9g per 100g.....:eek:

Less that 30% protein. The rest is gunk. That's awful. My stuff above is 92% protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Greek yoghurt + Bulkpowder's Apple Crumble and Custard. Very nice.

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Greek yoghurt + Bulkpowder's Apple Crumble and Custard. Very nice.

A lot of sugar going on there.

A lot of sugar going on there.
    Very little difference between any of the flavours I'd imagine. It's normally only the chocolate ones that have a bit of a sugar bump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I use Strawberry & White Choc from Proteinworks. Their Choc one is nice too.
    Have heard good things about Muscle Nations Choc Honeycomb

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Less that 30% protein. The rest is gunk. That's awful. My stuff above is 92% protein.

It's a mass gainer though, not a protein shake. Apples and oranges...

It's a gainer, not a protein powder so usually protein/carb ratio of 1:2 or thereabouts

https://www.pinksun.co.uk/whey-protein-grass-fed-hormone-free/isolate-unflavoured/natural-whey-protein-isolate

This stuff. No colouring, flavouring or any of the usual BS crap in get in most whey protein.

I am on my 3rd 3KG bag. Two scopes everyday to aid with marathon training.

It smells and tastes atrocious on its own with water (add some Stevia liquid) but it really takes the edge off the DOMs. But very smooth on the stomach and no compulsion to vomit.

ps It was a sports nutritionist that tipped me off.

It's a whey isolate and looks pretty much like the likes what others offer. The absence of anything else is because it's unflavoured.

A decent flavoured whey will be 80% protein or thereabouts and if the other stuff added for flavour is actually a problem, then you're taking too much and you probably need to look at your diet if you're that reliant on a supplement.

Handy for convenience but some people take it because they think it does something magical. It's just protein. A convenient way of getting protein on board but too many people use it to prop up a diet they should improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Extremely expensive. Isolate is only a good choice if it’s the same price.

It's a whey isolate and looks pretty much like the likes what others offer. The absence of anything else is because it's unflavoured.

A decent flavoured whey will be 80% protein or thereabouts and if the other stuff added for flavour is actually a problem, then you're taking too much and you probably need to look at your diet if you're that reliant on a supplement.

Handy for convenience but some people take it because they think it does something magical. It's just protein. A convenient way of getting protein on board but too many people use it to prop up a diet they should improve.

Yes I am aware of what it is and as I said it is to help with muscle micro tears when marathon training 70-80km per week. Most people on here are not doing that and I am not a mass building.

It is convenient and quick- horsing back a lot of say, red meat for example takes too long and too much energy to digest with a lot of waste. Plays havoc with your digestive system. I just need a quick protein fix.

But why have up to 80% protein when you can have 92% and without all the rubbish artificial flavouring and sugars. Some of the stuff on the market is hovering around the 30-40% protein.

Each to their own I guess.

Mellor wrote: »
    Extremely expensive. Isolate is only a good choice if it’s the same price.

Relative- I can afford it.:D

As I said above, I would much rather pay extra for 90% upwards protein than some well known market brands with anything from 29% to 80% protein which is then bulked out with carbs, sugars and God only knows what else.

But why have up to 80% protein when you can have 92% and without all the rubbish artificial flavouring and sugars. Some of the stuff on the market is hovering around the 30-40% protein.

Each to their own I guess.
    I get why people may have a problem with artificial flavourings (I disagree, but not going to open that can of worms), but there's hardly loads of sugar in flavoured whey.

I use whey, but rarely have it in a shake these days - with yogurt, in porridge, maybe mixed as a shake but with cereal. All with fruit/ berries.

Marathon training, I thought you'd want the carbs with the protein to replenish glycogen? I know that's the advice in cycling training regarding recovery - 4:1 carb to protein ratio. I'd rather get that from real food, with a little help from supplementation.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I get why people may have a problem with artificial flavourings (I disagree, but not going to open that can of worms), but there's hardly loads of sugar in flavoured whey.

I use whey, but rarely have it in a shake these days - with yogurt, in porridge, maybe mixed as a shake but with cereal. All with fruit/ berries.

Marathon training, I thought you'd want the carbs with the protein to replenish glycogen? I know that's the advice in cycling training regarding recovery - 4:1 carb to protein ratio. I'd rather get that from real food, with a little help from supplementation.

You are quite right you run on carbs and gylcogen but I get that elsewhere i.e. real food.

But I use whey purely for muscle recovery post runs not pre-runs or for training in itself. It is to take the edge off the DOMS as I said at the beginning.

I should state that sugar is necessary and is not all bad- just too much is not great. It is the quickest form of energy but I get that through other means. I just don't wish to add to my daily intake unnecessarily- fruit (apples, peaches, bananas, grapes etc) tend to be my sugar source of choice.

• Advertisement

I was talking about the recovery - carbs for glycogen replenishment, protein for muscle repair - part of the same process based on what I've read and heard.

Advertisement