Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old Singer Sewing Machines - 9 of them...

• 13-08-2019 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

After my mum passed away we found a number of old Singer sewing machines. I have managed to date some of them (as early as 1930s) and some are in cabinets. I have one that I use myself. These meant a lot to her so I am looking for help here to see can anyone give me an idea how to find a use/home for them rather than just get rid of them. Of course I'd love to get some money for them but I do want to make sure they go somewhere they may be wanted.

Any ideas welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Advertise them as free to good home because you won't get much for them. 20 or 30 quid, if you'll be lucky enough to get that. Millions of the things were made and millions are still around today.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Millions of the things were made and millions are still around today.

+1 like old mechanical typewriters (Remington, Underwood etc.), Singer sewing machines were built to last and most have done so. A lot of them (sewing machines and typewriters) end up on the 'bric a brac' shelves on faux 'olde worlde' pubs. Which will give you an indication of their (zero) worth as collectibles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Just have to look in the window of an All Saints branch to see how many of them there are floating around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Wheety wrote: »
    Just have to look in the window of an All Saints branch to see how many of them there are floating around.

What's an All Saints branch?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Del.Monte wrote: »
    What's an All Saints branch?

Sorry, they're clothes shops. Windows and stores full of, mostly, singer sewing machines. In every branch I've seen. They must have 10s of thousands of them.

1217973_AllSaints_NottingHill_IMG_6886.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement