Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solid wood speaker

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KMCE

If I may....

Some time ago (read 2016) I decided I wanted to build a set of speakers and went with IPL Acoustics (who I now see have closed) and bought a kit they sold for a set of studio monitors. These are quite big - 550mm high x 310mm wide x 310mm deep, so by no means desk top speakers, with 8" drivers and a good ribbon tweeter.

It was recommended that these be made preferably MDF or HDF (High Density Fiber) board as this material has a density suitable for speaker construction. Min thickness 19mm or higher. I went for 25mm HDF which I then laminated to give a nicer finish.

Having worked with solid wood for many projects, I know it moves with changes in humidity which can cause gaps, and whilst I know you mentioned dovetail joints, I have a box made from oak with dovetail joints many years ago, moving at the joints, which have loosened up over time. Solid wood is very nice, but for speaker construction you need something tight & dense for sound proofing. This is before adding the recommended sound deadening internally to control rogue frequency generation.

There are many iron on veneers (if you do not have access to vacuum bags) which will give a very nice finish, and if you are not keen on the idea of getting those angled joints right, rebate the corners and add some hardwood there. I did this with my speakers as I wanted some contrasting wood to define the edges of the speakers.

How do they look?

Burr Madrona with Maple edging.

How do they sound. Once the bedded in, which took some time, they sound fantastic and well worth the effort.

Hope this is of assistance.

Regards,

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Nice ^

Advertisement