Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It: Chapter Two

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Thought this was fairly terrible. Comically bad and overused cgi. The
    cg gollumesque granny
    rightly drew gales of laughter at my screening. The inclusion of flashbacks added very little, while bloating the film and necessitating the awkward use of Cg and dubbing to hide the fact the actors had clearly gone through a growth spurt and their voices had deepened. The acting was mostly fine I thought the actors they got for Stan and Eddie nailed but I just don't buy that bean pole Bill, who was the tallest of the losers grew up to be 5ft 7 James McAvoy. The scares were generic jump scares or outright repeats of the ones from chapter 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It isn't perfect (they could have trimmed 45 minutes off it at least) but it held my interest.
    The scares were good, the acting was very good.

I loved the score by Benjamin Wallfisch - it really stood out in certain scenes.

I really liked the epilogue too. It was touching (especially in
    the washing scene
    ) and there was a touch of finality and closure about it. No stupid jumpscare or twist at the end.

I'm going to go against the grain and say that I really liked this.

Sorry. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

For the sake of balance, I would like to remind everyone that Empire gave this 5 stars.

Stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

El Duda wrote: »
    For the sake of balance, I would like to remind everyone that Empire gave this 5 stars.

Stars.
    Empire is notoriously willing to give 5 stars to anyone who sends them a coffee mug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Giblet wrote: »
    The CGI was dodgy, the scene with Mrs Kersh
    turning Into Gollum at the end... Really the miniseries did it better, although I enjoyed the human Pennywise part.
    . The ending was silly too.
    It ends up as Bear from Bo Selecta..

Pml :pac: I can't wait to see it now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really enjoyed that a lot I will say it was about 50 minutes to long it needed a better editor.

Ye the CGI was bad in some places but again I'm ok with that.

I loved the whole take on King and King himself getting in on it
    You can't write an ending
    because it is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭Homelander

First of all, I really enjoyed the movie a lot and felt it was a decent sequel to the exceptionally good first movie. I'd say for me it's a solid 7.5/10, but I'd consider the first one pretty much a 10/10 for being an almost perfectly crafted film in that coming-of-age/horror genre cross.

So, IT Chapter 2 is a very decent follow up but definitely has some faults. It's definitely far too long. I don't at all mind a lengthy run-time, and it passes by relatively well, but there's so much bloat and poor use of time, as well as a lot of inconsistency. The first half of the film is actually quite excellent, but the second half and in particular, the final act, starts to show some major cracks as it heads towards the conclusion. Seems apt given the in-joke about not being able to write an ending. The CGI is also a bit too cartoon-like and tends to suck the tension out of some scenes, giving away to Sam Raimi style horror-comedy. Some characters are both excellently portrayed and scripted while others are weak to downright poor. Jessica Chastain for example, decent performance but the script just didn't bring Bev alive and true-to-her-past-self the way it did for say, Frankie or Eddie.

Overall though I liked it a lot, there's tons of great stuff in there and it was nice to see the kids back again for a sizeable run-time to help bridge the gap and make everything feel organic. I would say it's a must see for fans of the first movie, it's not as big-hearted, tightly produced or as memorable but it's a very respectable sequel.

Finally, I can't take anyone seriously who claims it to be a 1 star dud. I would accept 2-star, while I still wouldn't agree with it at all I could easily see why someone could argue that position and I'd probably agree with a great deal of the likely expansive criticism even if it didn't sour my enjoyment to the same extent. But 1 star is ridicuously harsh and unfair. Such a rating should be reserved for trash devoid of any redeeming features that utterly, completely fails on every possible level to achieve any of its intended aims. IT Chapter Two is not that movie.

Also, anyone who really loves the vibe of Stranger Things and IT Chapter One would probably enjoy this movie.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I thought it was pretty weak, unfortunately. You feel every minute of the bloated running time, from the cackhanded scenes introducing the adult cast (which had all the depth and subtlety of the equivalent scenes in the Mortal Kombat movie) through to the repeated structure of the quest scenes, which needed more variety anyway but definitely if they were all going to happen back to back. And the ending - I was ready for the film to wrap up at least 20 minutes before it had the decency to do so.

There were some good aspects - adult Eddie and Ritchie were cast well and, for me, the banter and dynamic between them worked better than in the first film (because while Finn Wolfhard is good, Young Ritchie was written such that the viewer doesn't know why the rest of the group are friends with him). The humour in this film allowed for some tonal variety which was lacking in the first film, although this does unfortunately hang a lamp on the fact that the horror is limited to "BOO!" moments, with little in the way of properly sustained tension or creeping dread of the sort that this sort of film needs to succeed.

Pennywise felt underused and kind of wasted in this, and as with the first film there are some fragments of the book that are retained even where the context doesn't really work now:
    Pennywise is the Eater of Worlds, but we don't see enough of the degree to which he corrupts Derry or is a continuing force of carnage there. And frankly, the Eater of Worlds should be able to do more to eliminate its enemies than sprinting at them shouting "boo!".

I don't think it's a 1-star film, but it's definitely no more than 2 out of five, and it's highly unlikely I'd ever be arsed watching it again.

Surprised at all the negativity. It really is just the book that makes the second part of the story such a mess. This was very much in keeping with the first film. The character stuff is good but 90% of the 'scary' stuff is loud, obnoxious, over-played, excessive and not scary in the slightest. The 'Just call me angel' moment was utterly bizarre.

The stuff where you actually get to see Bill Skarsgard as Pennywise without CGI, much like the first film, is the closest it gets to scary.

First film was a 6/10. This is a 5.5/10.

Found out after that they CGI de-aged the kids. I thought they looked weird in some shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I didn't love IT Chapter 1, the CG killed most of the tense leading up to a scare, and I felt it was never as creepy as the opening Georgie set-piece. Bill as Pennywise is quite good but I felt he was underused and then quickly replaced by an awful mouth of teeth, and running after kids ain't his fort I would rate the first 6/10.

Chapter 2 is god awful. There was much unintended laughter in my screening, the giant gollum lady with 2 extra mouths in her neck (WTF?), the leper attack and particularly when 'Just Call Me Angel' came on out of nowhere and with no context in that part.

The running time is excruciating, and so much could have been cut. We didn't need an average of 10 minutes per character having a flashback to a past attack (never alluded to or referenced in chapter 1) and then a current attack, Henry Bowers could have been left on cutting room floor until extended DVD, and the end battle was way too long. When did they have this underground shelter in the first movie as kids? I don't think any film or tv adaptation would make the Ritual of Chud work. The film kept making jokes about bad endings without trying to better itself properly.

Funnily enough, for all the rave reviews people gave Finn Wolfhard in the first film, I found him very annoying, but I liked Bill Hader's version of him. The gay subplot wasn't hinted at in the first film with the character, so the inclusion of it just felt tacked on. Pennywise is such an inept killer and the film misses having a significant kill among the gang to keep the tension. He had young Ben in a locker with him and still didn't kill him? That's just daft.

I'd love to see a serialized mini-series just take the idea of IT and not try to stick so close to the source material. Give the world some actual horror rules around IT's power and seeming omnipotence. In these films he's everywhere at once and yet not aware of certain goings on. Currently if I was given the choice of the old version of the adaptation or this one, I'll stick with the old one. It may be cheesy but Tim Curry kills in the roll.

• Advertisement

Pretty much agree with all that ^

The original 90's mini series is better, despite how dated it is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

A film that can't decide whether it's a comedy or a horror. Got plenty of laughs. Which is great, if its a comedy!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Why do film makers insist on putting stupid laughs (or attempts at laughs that often fall flat on their face) in everything these days. Can a horror film not just be, oh I don't know, horrific?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mr E wrote: »
    It isn't perfect (they could have trimmed 45 minutes off it at least) but it held my interest.
    The scares were good, the acting was very good.

I loved the score by Benjamin Wallfisch - it really stood out in certain scenes.

I really liked the epilogue too. It was touching (especially in
    the washing scene
    ) and there was a touch of finality and closure about it. No stupid jumpscare or twist at the end.

I'm going to go against the grain and say that I really liked this.

Sorry. :)

You know after having about a week to reflect on the movie I'm inclined to agree with you tbh.

It is a bit overly long, but for the most part it does hit the spot in what I was largely expecting.

Aside from
    Ben and Henry
    I'm inclined to agree on the acting as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

I didn't love IT Chapter 1, the CG killed most of the tense leading up to a scare, and I felt it was never as creepy as the opening Georgie set-piece. Bill as Pennywise is quite good but I felt he was underused and then quickly replaced by an awful mouth of teeth, and running after kids ain't his fort I would rate the first 6/10.

Chapter 2 is god awful. There was much unintended laughter in my screening, the giant gollum lady with 2 extra mouths in her neck (WTF?), the leper attack and particularly when 'Just Call Me Angel' came on out of nowhere and with no context in that part.

The running time is excruciating, and so much could have been cut. We didn't need an average of 10 minutes per character having a flashback to a past attack (never alluded to or referenced in chapter 1) and then a current attack, Henry Bowers could have been left on cutting room floor until extended DVD, and the end battle was way too long. When did they have this underground shelter in the first movie as kids? I don't think any film or tv adaptation would make the Ritual of Chud work. The film kept making jokes about bad endings without trying to better itself properly.

Funnily enough, for all the rave reviews people gave Finn Wolfhard in the first film, I found him very annoying, but I liked Bill Hader's version of him. The gay subplot wasn't hinted at in the first film with the character, so the inclusion of it just felt tacked on. Pennywise is such an inept killer and the film misses having a significant kill among the gang to keep the tension. He had young Ben in a locker with him and still didn't kill him? That's just daft.

I'd love to see a serialized mini-series just take the idea of IT and not try to stick so close to the source material. Give the world some actual horror rules around IT's power and seeming omnipotence. In these films he's everywhere at once and yet not aware of certain goings on. Currently if I was given the choice of the old version of the adaptation or this one, I'll stick with the old one. It may be cheesy but Tim Curry kills in the roll.

I think the thing with Ben in the locker was part of Pennywise's "torment" of the losers club.

It's in the book apparently, he seems to love playing mind games with them.
    Why this is, I don't know. Best to ask Stephen King.

I didn't mind the film. Enjoyable evening trip to the pictures. The opening scene was pretty brutal and tough to stomach

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

MOR316 wrote: »
    It's in the book apparently, he seems to love playing mind games with them.
    Why this is, I don't know. Best to ask Stephen King.

IT claims that fear makes the victims taste better. He refers to it as "salting the meat".

Hence the preference for kids, easier to scare. But he tortures and terrifies them for a while first partly because he is sadistic and partly because he likes his meals scared shltless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

DrPhilG wrote: »
    IT claims that fear makes the victims taste better. He refers to it as "salting the meat".

Hence the preference for kids, easier to scare. But he tortures and terrifies them for a while first partly because he is sadistic and partly because he likes his meals scared shltless.
    And yet we repeatedly see It lure kids in with a false sense of security. Maybe, and I'm reaching here, Stephen King was just on a vast quantity of cocaine and some of his writing is a little inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I really enjoyed this film, even better than the over rated first film. Ok so its not perfect- the whole Henry Bowers thing could have just been dropped as it was silly to expect the audience to buy the fact that Pennywise could transform into a 30 foot snarling woodchopper, or change a derelict apartment building to make it look brand now, yet couldn't kill the characters himself and needed some loon in his 40s to help him. Also, not all of the clips of them as kids were needed and were just filler.

Apart from that it was a very entertaining and faithful adaptation with some great acting and very well done special effects, particularly the Paul Bunyan statue coming alive which scared the crap out of me! I don't understand people who whine about the characters all going off one by one to meet Pennywise. That's what happened in the book and its a film of the book, so of course they are going to include it! Its not War and Peace, its a horror book and the movie is going to copy it as much as possible. What would people prefer- just all the old gang talking for 2 hours in the hotel then a quick fight and its over?? It was essential for the older gang to meet up with Pennywise in modern day to get a feel of how scared they still are/were.

Not all of the characters meeting were entertaining- Bev and Richie were definitely the most unsettling. The Eddie encounter just got laughs from the audience. I admit the fight should have been trimmed down and the explanation of the Ritual of Judd was always going to translate awkwardly to mainstream audiences. But besides that, I really enjoyed it and Bill Hader stole the show with his one liners, the acting was quite well done and touching at the end too. I rate it 8 out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Just saw it last night. Overall, I enjoyed it but it could have been a lot better. First hour or so flew by, and was the best part of it, but the tone got a bit uneven then: too much comedy and it did drag somewhat at the end. I also thought there was too much bad CGI, and that there weren't many memorable scares. The most unsettling part for me was
    the homophobic attack at the beginning and the return of Pennywise at the river bank
    ; other than that, I can't recall being genuinely scared (I don't count cheap jump scares...quiet, quiet, AAAARGGHHHH! :rolleyes: Lazy directing). I also didn't find Pennywise in any way scary in either of the 2 movies, and to be honest I found the actor's performance embarrassing, and a really bad choice to go that way with the character. I didn't feel any dread at all when Pennywise showed up (Tim Curry was much more unsettling in the TV version). Large chunks of the movie reminded me of a kid's version of a Nightmare On Elm Street, but I remember watching the original of that, and saying "oh f*ck" any time Freddy showed up. Pennywise had none of that menace.
    The ritual of Chud was such a load of bollocks too. It's a pity they didn't completely disregard this ending to the story, and try something new. They did make some significant changes from the original book (Bill's wife and Bev's abusive husband didn't show up in Derry in this version), so it's a shame they didn't completely do something different with a lacklustre ending

Just saw it last night. Overall, I enjoyed it but it could have been a lot better. First hour or so flew by, and was the best part of it, but the tone got a bit uneven then: too much comedy and it did drag somewhat at the end. I also thought there was too much bad CGI, and that there weren't many memorable scares. The most unsettling part for me was
    the homophobic attack at the beginning and the return of Pennywise at the river bank
    ; other than that, I can't recall being genuinely scared (I don't count cheap jump scares...quiet, quiet, AAAARGGHHHH! :rolleyes: Lazy directing). I also didn't find Pennywise in any way scary in either of the 2 movies, and to be honest I found the actor's performance embarrassing, and a really bad choice to go that way with the character. I didn't feel any dread at all when Pennywise showed up (Tim Curry was much more unsettling in the TV version). Large chunks of the movie reminded me of a kid's version of a Nightmare On Elm Street, but I remember watching the original of that, and saying "oh f*ck" any time Freddy showed up. Pennywise had none of that menace.
    The ritual of Chud was such a load of bollocks too. It's a pity they didn't completely disregard this ending to the story, and try something new. They did make some significant changes from the original book (Bill's wife and Bev's abusive husband didn't show up in Derry in this version), so it's a shame they didn't completely do something different with a lacklustre ending

I agree with a lot of this. I found the first hour or so really enjoyable. Went pear shaped though after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I agree with a lot of this. I found the first hour or so really enjoyable. Went pear shaped though after that.

I will also say that it was a fantastic looking movie; a lot of effort went into the sets, and the look and feel of the movie was superb. Shame about the CGI then. I liked all the cast too, especially Ritchie and Eddie (Ziggy Sobotka from The Wire!). I still only give it 3 out of 5 stars overall though, but that's pretty good by my standards :p

I will also say that it was a fantastic looking movie; a lot of effort went into the sets,

Yet they forgot to employ extras.

What was with the hotel? No other guests. No staff etc... So weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Been a long time since I've been as disappointed in a sequel! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Wow ... I just saw this and I was almost in tears at the end with
    Stan's letter
    - I did read some bad reviews so maybe that prepared me to expect a bad film, thankfully I was wrong , I should have known, it can ONLY be a good sign if a pile of thrash like the Irish Times gives it a bad review.

Now I should say that I am biased here as I love the book - it's probably my favourite novel of all time , I first read it when I was 15 and was my first adult novel.
    Loved it for the character development - it's like you know all the kids personally , the structure, history of Derry etc - amazing story 10/10.

Some things bothered me about the first film - Mike for one was a weaker character, I don't know why they decided to have his parents dead in this when his father in particular was a huge influence in the book - also he was the historian not Ben.
    They have mended that a good deal in chapter 2, Mike is more like he is in the book.

Anyway, these films aren't the book so I take them as they are.
    Like the book the battle with It at the end was a little silly, but the last 5 minutes made up for it , again it was strange that
    they didn't start to forget again, like they did in the book - I thought that added a sadness that was missing here ... and I really liked the Richie was gay and loved Eddie addition, so nice ... really made me feel warm

I mean, what other horror novel/film can be jump scary in parts and yet so warm and human and feel good in others!

Top film, really enjoyed it. 8/10

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

TomSweeney wrote: »
    thankfully I was wrong , I should have known, it can ONLY be a good sign if a pile of thrash like the Irish Times gives it a bad review.

And most of the people in this thread... sounds like you needed to like it more than most because you feel a connection to the novel. Wish I could've gone in with that level of confirmation bias, was a waste of a tenner for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Went to see it last night and really enjoyed it. Aside from the last 15 minutes or so when I was getting a bit restless, the film zipped along and didnt feel near 3 hours long. The book is massive and its admirable they tried to include as much as they possibly could in it, particularly the losers going around Derry to remember. The Bowers inclusion felt a little shoehorned but other than that I've no real complaints. The humour I felt added to it. As kids they used to rag on each other witb the occasional tender moment, the use of humour as adults was for me, them remembering what it was like to be kids. Overall a solid 7/8 outta 10 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I went to see this last night, as it is due to leave the cinema soon. I enjoyed it overall. Only gripes for me were an overuse of Bill Hader's comedy. Put it this way, I am not a fan of Evil Dead when it went funny. I felt it was half an hour too long. Most of the denouement was unnecessary. Also i was surprised at how crappy some of the CGI looked...a bit like that puppet out of Tales From The Crypt. Also I still don"t see anyone other than Amy Adams playing an adult Bev. I didn't know your eyes changed colour as you got older. That was the same for the James McAvoy character. I'd give it 7/10. On a par with the first film

Nothing but critisism... 7/10?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

El Duda wrote: »
    Nothing but critisism... 7/10?!

Yes. The criticism is the 3 points I've subtracted

• Advertisement

Fair enough. My Last Jedi review ended up the same tbf. Nothing but negatives...

7.5/10! :D:confused:

Advertisement