Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Joker movie - starring Joaquin Phoenix (MOD: May contain Spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Uncharted wrote: »

I'm hoping this is dark as possible with no Marvel-esque fluff.

agreed , i hope its a return to nolan's play it straight and in the real world DC universe

• Registered Users Posts: 20,511 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Really cannot wait for this movie.

Phoenix could give Joker that truly,deeply ,depraved and unhinged angle we haven't seen on screen before.

I'm hoping this is dark as possible with no Marvel-esque fluff.

I think you might be correct,

Everyone raves about Ledger ,who for my money has been the best Joker to date but mainly because no one before that has got near to playing the true Joker form the comic books,

As you said no film has gone that dark with the Joker not even Nolan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

On my must see list

“It will be Rated R. I’ve been asked this a lot. Just assumed people knew,” Todd Philips on an Instagram post when questioned by a fan.

Possibly the only super hero related movie that I've looked forward to in a decade

• Advertisement

Possibly the only super hero related movie that I've looked forward to in a decade

is it a superhero movie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

peteeeed wrote: »

No but super hero related i would agree

Probably not when compared to the usual stuff being churned out, hence why I'm interested. He is a villain of batman who is a super hero so it broadly falls under that category.

No but super hero related i would agree

to meet up with Robert Pattinson's batman in the batman reboot reboot ' the batman ' .... i hope

although Macaulay Culkin is rumoured to be in that as the joker

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I hope not: the whole point of this film was so the DC stories could find some narrative breathing room, and space to create something unique and creative. Wedging it back into the broader universe is a tedious proposition IMO.

Besides: this Joker film feels small and intimate, and there's no way in hell the new Batman will be anything but a big, brash, noisy film. It'd be oil & water.

• Advertisement

Matt reeves is directing the batman so I have hope

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Matt reeves is directing the batman so I have hope

Fair enough, and it's speculation either way until the first trailer comes out (and even then, knowing how deceptive the tone of those can be ...). But I don't have any faith that a Batman film would be allowed to be anything except a big, noisy blockbuster that's as shallow as a puddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

to meet up with Robert Pattinson's batman in the batman reboot reboot ' the batman ' .... i hope

although Macaulay Culkin is rumoured to be in that as the joker

61571944_3010000612358399_2323306848087376063_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-frt3-2.cdninstagram.com

Fake, but I could see it working.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

61571944_3010000612358399_2323306848087376063_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-frt3-2.cdninstagram.com

Yep that's creepy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Not a hope in hell. :(

Culkin is doomed to be Kevin
    Mc Allister for eternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

pixelburp wrote: »
    I hope not: the whole point of this film was so the DC stories could find some narrative breathing room, and space to create something unique and creative. Wedging it back into the broader universe is a tedious proposition IMO.

Besides: this Joker film feels small and intimate, and there's no way in hell the new Batman will be anything but a big, brash, noisy film. It'd be oil & water.

If its a success I could see Warner Bros trying to wedge it into its other films.

Todd Philips -
    We didn’t follow anything from the comic-books, which people are gonna be mad about,” the writer-director tells Empire. “We just wrote our own version of where a guy like Joker might come from. That’s what was interesting to me. We’re not even doing Joker, but the story of becoming Joker. It’s about this man.”

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/joaquin-phoenix-joker-follow-comics-exclusive/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Todd Philips -
    We didn’t follow anything from the comic-books, which people are gonna be mad about,” the writer-director tells Empire. “We just wrote our own version of where a guy like Joker might come from. That’s what was interesting to me. We’re not even doing Joker, but the story of becoming Joker. It’s about this man.”

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/joaquin-phoenix-joker-follow-comics-exclusive/
    That won't go down to well. They might as well say the Joker name is just for the marketing of the film and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Trailer looked awful..also without influence from Alan moore / frank Miller material it won't have the depth required...even Christopher Nolan knew this.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭android1

Trailer looked awful..

There's always one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Trailer looked awful..also without influence from Alan moore / frank Miller material it won't have the depth required...even Christopher Nolan knew this.

I haven't seen anyone else say that, how odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

I'm blown away that you have that reaction to that trailer. Wow.

It's tantalisingly epic imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

More importantly, a lot of Frank Miller’s work has the depth and maturity of a 12-year-old boy who’s just learned to swear and is still in the ‘girls have cooties’ stage of emotional development. So that’s not the highest hurdle for this film to clear :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

I'm blown away that you have that reaction to that trailer. Wow.

It's tantalisingly epic imo.

Well its just an opinion..... i hope the movie delivers as i like phoenix and the director. the trailer looked overly try hard & theatrical ..reminded me of that bronson / clockwork orange style of circus ultraviolence which i think is pretentious.

Again its just my opinion

Frank Miller, blergh. An edgelord hack whose adolescent storytelling coincided with a renaissance for Batman by way of an overhyped schoolyard mashup of Bats v Supes. Nowhere near the pantheon of top comics writers of the ages, and thankfully as time ticks on his stature has diminished...

Todd Philips -

Sounds good to me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

This looks interesting... The only concern I have (Admittedly from the impression given in the trailer only) is the whole usual "Oh, he suffers from depression so therefor he is a weirdo. People with mental-health issues have only one option: To get weirder and go bad"

At least the animated Batman series/movie had the balls to ask of the hero: "Well, he's psychotic but how well adjusted are YOU? dressing up like a bat? C'mon" (WAAAAAAY before Nolan's trilogy).

It does look interesting and anything that can help bury Leto's "joker" is good in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Don't bring the kids..

Joker Movie Rated R for ‘Disturbing Behavior’ and More
    https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1094341-joker-movie-rated-r-for-disturbing-behavior-and-more
    Warner Bros. Pictures’s highly-anticipated Joker movie has officially been given an R-rating from the MPAA for “strong bloody violence, disturbing behavior, language and brief sexual images.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

New trailer on Wednesday apparently.

Advertisement