Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

I decorated my sparse tree... (it's nothing special) but am liking it!
    Last year it refused to be decorated, every which way I tried was ugly, wrong and maddening.
    This year, easy breezy, have no idea why... unless I was expecting way too much last year, dunno.
    Thanks to all you elves who bore with my (boo!) irritation last year!

I can finally say after five-ish years that I have a Christmas tree!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Woohoo this day next month!!! And it’s tree day today!!

Starting the day off by going to the cinema to see the new Olaf short film and then they are playing Frozen after it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Tree up and decorated. Hall full of boxes of decorations for the house and garden to go up throughout the week. I'd have managed more yesterday but we had to go out and enjoy the hours worth of snow/hail cover we had yesterday.

Now watching Christmas specials on boomerang with S in the light of the tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

It’s decoration day!! I have a Christmas top on and we’re ready to get the tree up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

kitten_k wrote: »
    Woohoo this day next month!!! And it’s tree day today!!

Starting the day off by going to the cinema to see the new Olaf short film and then they are playing Frozen after it.

You nearly gave me a heart attack, we’re booked for that tomorrow and I thought my date was wrong 🙈. And it’s our (almost) three year olds first cinema trip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,132 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I got a few bits online Yesterday and I'm happy with what I saved.
    I've noticed a few trees appearing in the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

It's snowing where I am. Not a huge amount but it hasn't melted (so far) anyway :)

Still haven't gotten our new tree, not sure if we will be able to get one either.

Few big things in the house have gone so we need to get those sorted first :( Typical, and right in the run up to Xmas too. Feck sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I'm ridiculously happy having got Kevin and Katie this evening....did the whole of Aldi and had given up, but when we got to checkout, there they were!!

Mixing Christmas puddings tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

Centra mince pies; sorted, the cut can wait a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

So finished all my christmas shopping today!
    Took advantage of the Black Friday sales but unfortunately went a bit too jolly with my spending and had a heart attack when i came home and looked at my bank balance.

Currently typing this from heaven of course...

On a merrier note, for those of you looking for a Christmas sweater Debenhams has some lovely ones in including one that says "All the jingle ladies" which I really wanted but didnt get because it cost 48! If you don't have the budget then Penneys christmas sweaters are also lovely and they come with the following tag: (please see attachment)

Btw Disney obsessed people! PENNEYS HAS DISNEY WRAPPING PAPER FOR ONLY 2 EURO!

• Advertisement

Just in from seeing the lights being switched on in my local town!

Just in from seeing the lights being switched on in my local town!

Us too, Ashbourne, great show; Santa in his sleigh with his reindeer.

(will load a pic as soon as I can get to a pc)

bladespin wrote: »
    Us too, Ashbourne, great show; Santa in his sleigh with his reindeer.

(will load a pic as soon as I can get to a pc)

The Fire Brigade brings our Santa!

I'm really enjoying the Coke ad this year because I can see the government eventually banning it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Glitzgirl can I ask about your scarlet fever epidemic? My LO spent 2 nights in hospital with what we were told was a viral infection, she had a brutally sore throat (refusing food & drink) and an all-over rash. We weren't told anything about it being contagious and were allowed wander around Paediatrics without restrictions. The day after we got home, the skin on her toes started peeling. Dr. Google told me it was scarlet fever. Did this happen to your LO? My BIL is in Dublin and says there's been quite a few similar cases there.
    Hopefully you've survived the week without anyone else getting it!

Hi ms chanandler! I'm so sorry for late reply.and sorry to hear about your little one x

Yes very similar to my own. Started with a bad cough sore throat a temp and noticed he was getting a rash. went to dr Friday..told it was a viral infection .

We didn't know any better at the time and took him to see santa arrive at white water the next day :p

By Saturday night thr rash had spread from his mouth his face to his chest. By monday morning he was covered. Straight back to dr who did a throat swab. Told us it was scarlet fever. Very contagious esp anyone who is in contact with children or babies etc.

The main difference with scarlet fever and viral is the rash. It feels like sand paper. Or a cheese grater. Little tiny dots all over the body and honestly feels like rough sand. No mistaking it. And yes the creases of the body such as elbow feet hands etx they can peel with irritation from rash.

Apparently scarlet fever is on the increase. It us basically strep throat which a bacteria grows from to cause scarlet fever. Adults can get strep throat from a child with scarlet fever.

If unsure go back to gp. Pain meds help with throat and eating and drinking. Good luck and I hope your LO feels better soon xx

I'm watching The Polar Express!

Sorry guys I'm only catching up. Is this the new thread is the old one closed ??

Ciara pics were stunning you looked amazing love the rich red you look like a modern Mrs clause ! :) congrats to you and your husband !

Dara yes if the toy show is 2 weeks away people would have been notified by now. Only if you get the tickets will you be contacted and it's us all about 3 weeks before the show. I got tickets 2 years ago. :) best day of my life :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Sorry guys I'm only catching up. Is this the new thread is the old one closed ??

Ciara pics were stunning you looked amazing love the rich red you look like a modern Mrs clause ! :) congrats to you and your husband !

Dara yes if the toy show is 2 weeks away people would have been notified by now. Only if you get the tickets will you be contacted and it's us all about 3 weeks before the show. I got tickets 2 years ago. :) best day of my life :pac:

Yes the old thread reached the 10,000 post limit. So this is that thread sequel.

Damn for some reason I thought If you got tickets they contacted you the Monday before the toy show. :(

Oh well there’s always next year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Also crazy to think this is the last 25th of thre month we will see before the BIG 1.

Loughc wrote: »
    Also crazy to think this is the last 25th of thre month we will see before the BIG 1.

I was about to post this is the last weekend in November!
    It's hard to believe.

• Advertisement

Into the 20’s now in the countdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Evening. 0/

I'm feeling so Christmassy. Gift shopping is going so much better than I expected. We have our little fellas gifts bought and in the attic. We had a list but it was really long and too much expense so we left two things off, aiming to get them mid 2018. A tractor and a drum set. A few days ago, my friend messaged me saying she's getting rid of her boys old tractor if we want it, so I grabbed that. Then I picked up a drum kit for €10 second hand. So we now have literally everything we wanted for him. I'm so excited.

To top this off, I had been chatting to my sister and said I'd like to get my husband either wireless headphones for running or an aeropress. She sent me a link last night for groupon headphones and I found a half price aeropress just this evening. So both of them are ordered for the price I expected to pay for one item.

I'm killing the shopping this year. So many good deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Well the Christmas tree didn’t happen!! Had it up and went to put the lights on and one set only had half them working and the second set was all tangled, tried everything to untangle it but no joy.

The rest of the decorations are all up. We will go to Homestore and More tomorrow to get lights and then do the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Jude13

I'm caught between excitement and panic, 18 days till I fly and 17 days until I need to complete this submission.

Went shopping at the weekend, got a camel coloured overcoat. Was looking to buy a blazer in one store and got messed around by staff saying it was in another mall, trekked there and they didn't have it.

Got a new aftershave that my OH loves, I usually hate wearing it but she liked it so much I got it. Forgot how bloody expensive smelly water is. Bought OH's gifts on amazon to be delivered to Ireland and bought her a coat too. Watched her buy my gift, the new sony noise canceling headphones. Which she wont let me use on the flight home as I have to wait to Christmas day!!

But the best was that I have two nephews, lunatic 4 & 6 yr olds, so I bought them laser tag guns, I will be cursed from on high by their folks. It will not be a quiet Christmas day in their house.

Also watched Miracle on 34th street and 4 Christmases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

Had such a busy day yesterday I forgot it was the 25th! One month to the big day oh my goood!! So can I open my advent calendar now or what? I know it starts on the 1st but Ive been waiting since yesterday :(

Jude mind if I ask what aftershave is that? I need it for research purposes.. :v

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Tree coming down on Wednesday so the house will be a mess until Friday and the empty boxes return to the attic!! Some of you who do unbelievable cleaning have inspired me for today. My husband won't thank me when I get him involved! I'm still hopeful about the Toyshow. I'd really love if someone here got tickets. I loved Glitzgirls behind the scenes posts two years ago. Bring on Christmas🀶🎄

I am watching the most heart warming christmas film on true christmas called " Single Santa Seeks Mrs Claus" with Steve guttenberg. He is in quiet a few a of these movies and I have to say I love his laugh when he plays a santa character. He manages to laugh ho -o -o - gets me smiling and laughing every time I hear it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Got a good bit of shopping done now -I think I’m almost done, a few bits still but nothing too major! Was in town this morning and picked up wrapping paper in m&s - 3 for 2 - so got two 14m rolls for 9.50 each (thought that was good) and then got a 3m roll of Paddington paper free!

Still haven’t got around to baking some mince pies!

Have Thursday and Friday off next week for decorating and the Toyshow!

I'm happy enough now with the amount of gifts I've got just have to wait for delivery.
    When ever I'm doing online shopping I fill my basket up with everything I a little interested in and then I remove most of the items so I don't feel as bad!

• Advertisement

Trip north today, that's most of the bits finished, just mrs spin left to get for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement