Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lunchtime Live with Ciara Kelly [Mod warning post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

BarryD2 wrote:
    Not unless you want to be harangued about father's rights and the feminist movement etc for a few hours daily.

Sure isn't that what Boards is for!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭monstermag

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Not unless you want to be harangued about father's rights and the feminist movement etc for a few hours daily.

Bring it on. As I said before he'd last about 6 months before been hounded out of it by the perpetually offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Love if they got Michael Graham over now & again to guest host.

Graham and John Waters... A confection of smug whiney born again blather...a least Hook has a heart behind all his insecure attention seeking. Anyway the present situation just gives the. daily moaners more to moan about.... Just wish they'd stay off the fizzy drinks for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Dr Ciara is complaining about alcohol advertising again. People who want alcohol will get alcohol no matter the advertising.
    She misses the point it is about brand competition not selling alcohol per se.

There could be no advertising and it would make no difference to consumption.
    New brands just couldn't get on the market.

Also everybody knows the dangers of alcohol. It is up to them to take personal responsibility.
    The overwhelming majority do. Prohibition of advertising or display will have zero effect on those who don't.
    All these prohibition plans are just cheap virtue publicity for politicians and justification for the existence of the many NGOS involved.

I wish she would stop. Could it be a personal bee in Dr Ciara's bonnet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

quintana76 wrote: »
    Dr Ciara is complaining about alcohol advertising again. People who want alcohol will get alcohol no matter the advertising.

Also everybody knows the dangers of alcohol. It is up to them to take personal responsibility.
    The overwhelming majority do. Prohibition of advertising or display will have zero effect on those who don't.
    All these prohibition plans are just cheap virtue publicity for politicians and justification for the existence of the many NGOS involved.

She'd be well met with Ray D'Arcy. Maybe they could do a double hander sometime and give us a double dose of advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Five Green Bottles

Insufferable crap again today, why do people like her force their personal opinions on the rest of the world. Were it not for advertisers there would be no commercial radio stations.
    She may be a doctor and know more than me about alcohol but when I do get to get out for a beer I don't take into consideration who sponsored the last sporting event that I watched, what ad I last heard on radio, like most I choose what I want to rather than forcing upon others my unfounded opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Maybe they could get the "lovely Ingrid" to do the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

I cant listen to this since George went. There may aswell be a robot interveiwing guests. At leaet George added a bit of life to the show . George had life experiance on most topics and was interesting to hear hes veiws. Do you think George will start a Pod cast online at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

monstermag wrote: »
    John Waters would be a great replacement for George. He'd have the new puritans up in arms.

he's been blacklisted by the same borg hive mind that got shot of george.

heres a link to eamonn dunphys podcast "the stand" .

https://www.thestandwitheamondunphy.com/archive/

if ya click on the part 2 section of his interview (episode 12) with waters you'll get to hear a remarkably similar story of what happens when the journo set are out to get you.

no matter WHAT ya think of john its stark how similar what happened to him is with what happened to hook.

he's been blacklisted by the same borg hive mind that got shot of george.

heres a link to eamonn dunphys podcast "the stand" .

https://www.thestandwitheamondunphy.com/archive/

if ya click on the part 2 section of his interview (episode 12) with waters you'll get to hear a remarkably similar story of what happens when the journo set are out to get you.

no matter WHAT ya think of john its stark how similar what happened to him is with what happened to hook.

More of this to come. Watch this space.

The borg king in Newstalk seems to be Chris Donaghue (pathetic I know).
    The borg emperor in Ireland whom they all aspire to in the hive is Fintan O'Toole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Well that's what the drinks companies would have us think.
    Advertising not about selling more product? Really?

[Edit] PS Drink responsibly. That's alright now, carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't agree with all the stuff that they want to implement, physical separation of alcohol in shops is a bit of a nonsense but no alcohol advertising is a common practice in many European countries. It would be naive to think that the billions of money are poured into advertising and other promotional activities just for brand awareness. How many people are loyal to a particular wine brand and yet wine market is steadily growing and changing ?

People don't need to go through the roof everytime someone says something they don't want to hear.

vince wrote: »
    Do you think George will start a Pod cast online at some point.
    I assume there's some contractual impediment to that, provided that George is being paid some kind of retainer before his new show commences this Winter.

vince wrote: »
    Do you think George will start a Pod cast online at some point.

He'd need a bigger back room team for a podcast than a broadcast. between setting up the PC recording and editing never mind restraining himself without the newstalk police to keep him within bounds

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Also everybody knows the dangers of alcohol
    . It is up to them to take personal responsibility.

You could say the same about cigarettes. Should we bring that back also.

The ads are about people to get there brand of alcohol as it will allow them and there friends to have a great time. Less of that is a good things

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Hyper feminist Tom there... ugh

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Beginning to wonder if NewsTalk are trying to introduce a two hour version of BBC Radio 4s Women's Hour, by stealth.
    Would answer their critics in multiples.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Whatever about having female presenters, does the whole theme of the show have to have a constant undercurrent of a "aren't women great" vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Ciara Kelly on with some Gun Yank now and she asked this question:

Why do you need 50 guns, you don't have 50 arms?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ciara Kelly on with some Gun Yank now and she asked this question:

Why do you need 50 guns, you don't have 50 arms?

I thought she was very good with yer man, took him to pieces without getting nasty.

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Beginning to wonder if NewsTalk are trying to introduce a two hour version of BBC Radio 4s Women's Hour, by stealth.
    Would answer their critics in multiples.

Feminists hour might be a little more accurate.

Birneybau wrote: »
    I thought she was very good with yer man, took him to pieces without getting nasty.

Really? I thought she was very preachy; her tone had an obvious incredulity and at times sarcasm, and she simply failed to understand that it's a different country. I was waiting for her to say "won't someone please think of the children?" by the end of it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Future jnlrs will be interesting for Sanitized Fm. All my family have tuned out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

I said I'd give Ciara a chance despite my feelings about what happened but I had to tune out. She's incredibly preachy, I just couldn't listen to her. When she disagrees with someone she can very often be rude.
    Not suited for this type of show. She's much too interested in her own voice and opinion.

Great, food preaching.

Eat as much calories as you burn, or a bit less calories than you burn. Simple.

Feminists hour might be a little more accurate.
    Oh give it a rest please, lads.

Pat Kenny and George Hook (but especially Hook) have often voiced a mixture of support and incredulity at what they perceive as the unfair treatment of men and fathers in certain situations, without being slated.

NT currently have one (temporary) solo female presenter on weekdays, and there is a disproportionate and frankly, bizarre, fixation with her gender and gender issues, which has never been applied to her predecessor.

Get over it, please.

Oh give it a rest please, lads.

Pat Kenny and George Hook (but especially Hook) have often voiced a mixture of support and incredulity at what they perceive as the unfair treatment of men and fathers in certain situations, without being slated.

NT currently have one (temporary) solo female presenter on weekdays, and there is a disproportionate and frankly, bizarre, fixation with her gender and gender issues, which has never been applied to her predecessor.

Get over it, please.

In fairness now ANTM, she is the one who came on the show the day Hook was suspended and said "and yes, I am a woman", so she has contributed to this. If a male presenter came on air and announced "and yes, I am a man", they'd rightly be laughed at. It's also her preachy feminism - as evidenced by the bizarre (and completely incorrect as it turned out) assumptive stance she took against Dublin Airport's provision of a feeding room for babies when she was on Breakfast a while back (and there are many more examples) - that add fuel to this fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

In fairness now ANTM, she is the one who came on the show the day Hook was suspended and said "and yes, I am a woman", so she has contributed to this. If a male presenter came on air and announced "and yes, I am a man", they'd rightly be laughed at. It's also her preachy feminism - as evidenced by the bizarre (and completely incorrect as it turned out) assumptive stance she took against Dublin Airport's provision of a feeding room for babies when she was on Breakfast a while back (and there are many more examples) - that add fuel to this fire.
    How was it incorrect? Why would you need feeding rooms? To hide nasty breasts? It's nothing to do with feminism, it's hiding breastfeeding women away in a country with criminally low breastfeeding rates. It's perfectly easy to breastfeed in airport without a special room and frankly people should cop on, including breastfeeding women who think they have to hide away.

Another boring topic with another boring female guest :pac:

I'll stick on some music and wait for Moncrieff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Yesterday's show was okay but today was laughable - especially the segment on how history is more important to the Irish than the English...Lol. She is completely clueless unless the item has a feminist or medical angle to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement