Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IT Conversion Courses

Options
  • 03-07-2016 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hoping to get some information from people who have completed different IT Conversion Courses around the country.

I want to go back to college and study IT by doing an ICT conversion course like the ones offered on the springboard website, but I am having difficulty deciding which course would be best to do.

I have been doing some online courses on web development and Java and enjoy doing both but I don't really know where I would like to work with an IT degree so I am looking for the broadest course possible so that I will get to learn as much as I can. I have been looking at all the Conversion Courses on the website and the ones offered by WIT(Hdip in computer science) and UL/LIT(software development) seem to be the broadest to me.

I am looking for information off anybody who has taken any of these courses or anybody who knows anything about these courses to help me decide the best route to go.

Also I already have a degree (Engineering) from WIT would it look better if I did the conversion course in a different college or does that sort of thing matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mic-12345

Im in a similar situation and looking at the one year course in web development in Griffith.
    Its 2 evenings a week and every satruday and im in a full time job, not sure if its possible to balance both very easily?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 icecream89

Yea I am working full time at the minute my self. I enrolled in an online course with the eCollege back in January to study Java so that I could sit an industry standard exam. It was supposed to be a six month course but I just cant seem to put the time in to it that's needed to complete it. This is why I'm looking at a full time course I learn better in a class room environment. Every one is different

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭trafficlight

Hi icecream89, how are you.

I just seen this thread and coincidently I am looking myself to do a conversion course in IT this year. I have come across the one you mentioned in WIT and am wondering if you ended up doing it and if so how was it. was it worth it - was it time consuming, how was the content etc... did you find it was a good qualification to have after.

Another option I have been looking at on Springboard is https://springboardcourses.ie/details/7149

would you or anyone else have any recommendations etc

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 icecream89

Hi trafficlight

I didn't end up doing the course in Waterford I opted for one that was ran in Carlow instead. I did it just because the one in Carlow started sooner than the one in Waterford and it was closer to my house so I didnt have to travel as far. To be honest I dont think it matters which one you do, I did a lot of research at the time to see which course covered the most and I found they all teach you pretty much the same material and you will come out with pretty much the same qualification from all of them. So my advice would be pick which ever one that is closest to you and that will cost you the least money for the year while studying.

The content of the course is broad, you will learn a lot in the year you are there and I found it all very interesting. You will get entry level experience in a broad range of computing from Networks to Software Development. It is time consuming if you have no prior knowledge as there is a lot to learn so I wouldn't plan on working while attending if you are a complete beginner.

The qualification was defiantly worth it from my point of view as I did get a job as a software developer nearly straight after finishing the course. That being said I was also doing certifications along with the course to get a deeper understanding of certain programming languages as you can imagine you will be fighting for jobs along side people who just finished 4 year degrees so you will need to show an interest past just the conversion course. There were a lot of people in the class who didn't get jobs as they didn't believe they were ready after the year to work in the industry.

My advice if you are looking to get into some aspect of computing would be to do the course and do as well as you can in it and if possible have a goal for after the course for what you would like to work at and spend time working toward that goal during the course.

Hope that helps let me know if you need any more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭trafficlight

Thanks a million for your response - really appreciate your feedback - it is a great help :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

icecream - what other certifications did you do?

Online or classroom? Free or paid for?

Advertisement