Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tying knots

• 05-11-2012 2:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Anyone know where I could get some classes on tying knots, it's something I;m extremely interested in and think I could excel at. I'm based in North Dublin at present but willing to travel anywhere in the Dublin/Meath area.

Thanks for your help in advance guys

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

What sort of Knots you looking to learn how to tie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Stroll

What sort of Knots you looking to learn how to tie?

I'd like to start at the basics and work my way up from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Youtube is your best friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Scouter123

hey there this is a great website for when u got the basics www.animatedknots.com/

Scouter123 wrote: »
    hey there this is a great website for when u got the basics www.animatedknots.com/

That's a great site!! Hours of fun :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Why not join a Scout Group?

Why not join a Scout Group?

Don't really think it would be my scene to be honest.

Stroll wrote: »
    Don't really think it would be my scene to be honest.
    Why not?

Orion wrote: »
    Why not?

Why knot??? :)

Ahh I'm nearly 30 now, a bit old long in the tooth to be joining the scouts I feel.

I'm 42 - became a leader last year. You're never too old :) There's plenty of training to be had within SI and you can learn on the job too so don't think you don't have the skills to be a leader. All you really need is a love of the outdoors and the desire to help develop young people into responsible citizens of tomorrow.

Why become a leader

• Advertisement

I've been in Scouting since the age of 10...almost 17 years with the same group in Feb next year. I had my ups & downs with the group and with my disability but it never stopped me enjoying Scouting. - What group are you in Orion?

8th Kildare Maynooth. You in one of the Tallaght groups?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

To get back on track the best way to learn knots (this coming from someone in Scouts for more than 30yrs) is to get yourself some good rope, preferably 2 different colours then check out youtube for videos.

There are also a couple of really good apps for the iphone/ipad like knotsguide

Shell used to do a couple of really good books on tying knots, I'm not sure if they're still in print but your local library might be able to help.

Joining Scouts won't teach you much more than the basics unless there is already someone like you in the group with a keen interest in them.

Good luck
    R

Orion wrote: »
    8th Kildare Maynooth. You in one of the Tallaght groups?

Yep, 125th Dublin, Old Bawn Scout Group :D

I think I did training recently with one of your guys. Can't think of his name right now.

When did you do the training? I was on training on Saturday in the 177th Glasnevin Den

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cave Troll

http://www.youtube.com/user/TyingItAllTogether
    Have a look at his site, clear and easy to follow instructions, stormdrane is another good guy to have a look at

• Registered Users Posts: 21 W31rd0

There is a really good albeit really old book .pdf on the internet. The Ashley Book of Knots. 1944(not ancient!) The diagrams are excellent. They don't just show how knot can be tied but the technique for tying it e.g. with one hand.

https://archive.org/details/TheAshleyBookOfKnots&ved=2ahUKEwjUlPWLhuDbAhUSfMAKHac9Ae8QFjAOegQIABAB&usg=AOvVaw0Kd-BCcO-BE8XDcNaUHKQx

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Joining Scouts won't teach you much more than the basics unless there is already someone like you in the group with a keen interest in them.

Good luck
    R

Joining Scouts might not teach you much more than the basics but if you are interested and do become skilled in a particular area you would be a great asset to a local group to bring others up to your level. Knot work comes into many areas of Scouting and your interest might extend to these areas over time... Pioneering, backwoods, sailing and other watersports, hill walking/rockclimbing.
    I would love to have a couple of leaders that I could call on for a particular skill who would help other leaders (and scouts of all ages) to improve skills/attain badges.

Advertisement