Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here when you buy a new game

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Got a copy of this and played for the first time last night.Played a couple of solo games to try it out and I liked it a lot.Played as Dexter Drake.The extra spells make a big diff IMO.So he's a good character to start out with.
    Lost to Azathoth ,but kicked Nyarlathotep's ass big time.:)
    Hope to play a few games the weekend with the mates & family.
    Also there's an expansion due out this year,so I hope to pick up a copy.:D

My only complaint with it so far is that it seems a little too easy at times. Shug was a nightmare I'll admit, adding the terror check to every monster, but so far that's the only one I've lost, and like you I blazed trough Nyarl not even taking a single hit throughout the whole game (Monterey Jack is a boss).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

GodlessM wrote: »
    My only complaint with it so far is that it seems a little too easy at times. Shug was a nightmare I'll admit, adding the terror check to every monster, but so far that's the only one I've lost, and like you I blazed trough Nyarl not even taking a single hit throughout the whole game (Monterey Jack is a boss).

Although only two plays in ,I thought the same.Checked the rules a few times to see if I was playing it wrong.But I was'nt. Don't know why ,but I have the feeling solo play is easier than group play.I will find out later.

Even my loss to Azathoth was more "bad luck" than anything else.During my last 6 card draws no Elder Signs were showing on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Played skulls and roses with some noobs tonight. Great gateway game for non believers. They were hooked. I thought they broke e game tho on the 2nd play, got all the way down from 7 players to 3, with one player only having roses left.

Prefer werewolf, but this game is good with less than 8.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

A great short party game. It's like snap with some extra rules and is very quick, which I like. Played it with some ruthless friends on Saturday and it was brilliant fun. We had some vicious fights over the totem. :pac:

junglespeed.jpg

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8098/jungle-speed

Found this in O'Mahony's bookstore yesterday and was thinking about trying it out anyway so I picked it up. Turns out it's pretty damn good. It captures the feel of an adventure across any different lands well by use of multiple game boards and also nails the severity of such a journey well. When we played we thought things were maybe a bit easy early on and were confident about the quest, but by the time we got to Mordor we no longer felt that way and we were quickly defeated. It is great to have a co-operative game that is difficult, but better still is that difficulty gradient that the game seems to have, so it isn't just easy or hard, but gets harder as you go along. I'd recommend for anyone into Lord of the Rings and/or co-operative games.

FFGLTR12_500.jpeg

• Advertisement

I know this one won't appeal to a lot of people.But I can't wait:D
    Ordered my copy on-line today.

pic354369_md.jpg

The deed is done. Ordered this on line tonight.

pic1476189_md.jpg

No more board games for the rest of the year next six months
    ............next while...........:o

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Bought Smallworld Underground at the weekend:
    Smallworld_Underground_box.jpg

Had one game of it on Saturday evening, we both found it really fun and interesting. It starts off quite slowly, but once you've one race out there and have moved them into decline, the strategy kicks into play very quickly. The various combinations of special powers and races really inject a nice variety into the game too, as it means that any of the races will be different each time that you play!

Smallworld_Underworld_board.jpg

I love the way it comes with 2, double sided boards, which are for 2, 3, 4 or 5 players, great thinking on the manufacturer's part. That's the 2 player board pictured.

Bought Smallworld Underground at the weekend:
    IMG

Had one game of it on Saturday evening, we both found it really fun and interesting. It starts off quite slowly, but once you've one race out there and have moved them into decline, the strategy kicks into play very quickly. The various combinations of special powers and races really inject a nice variety into the game too, as it means that any of the races will be different each time that you play!

IMG

Funnily enough I too just bought this as well as Munchkin Quest and Pirate Fluxx. All awesome.

Funnily enough I too just bought this as well as Munchkin Quest and Pirate Fluxx. All awesome.

I got Munchkin Axe Cop as well, but didn't realise that it was 3-6 players, doh! So haven't played it yet. The Smallworld Underground I picked up looked to be the last copy in Gamers World, we went for it over regular Smallworld simply because we liked the look of the races more!
    Already have Zombie Fluxx and their Back to the Future card game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭rzaba666

got this for my son's birthday, we tried few turns yesterday and it seems like funny game ;) little bit like Ascension type deck building. I am pretty sure there are few people here that will like it (yank? ;) )

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/125678/dc-comics-deck-building-game

pic1355432_md.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Well I purchased Eclipse early last week and thankfully it only took 3 days to arrive which meant I had it in time for the weekend :)

We played 3 games (3 player) pretty much back to back on Sunday and it really is an amazing game and extremely well designed.

There's loads of pieces with it so it seems more complicated at first glance than it is, but it is actually surprisingly simple to learn how to play, and the rulebook does a really good job of explaining things.

I can see this game getting played again and again. The modular game board and random technologies each round means each game will be different.

Really happy with my purchase, so much so that last night I ordered the Rise of the Ancients Expansion :D

pic1340277_md.jpgpic1483072_md.jpg

This is the first main expansion to the game and will make this great game even more epic! The best thing about this expansion is that it's fully modular so you can add in as much or as little of the new stuff as you want.

New stuff includes 3 new races, new rare techs, alien homeworlds, new discoveries etc so there's a fair bit there. It also allows play for 7-9 players, though I don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon.

So a couple of slight downsides to the game. Firstly it does take up a fair bit of space, I'd say we could have fitted in one more player on our table, so I don't know how feasible a 5/6 player game will be.

Secondly there is a fair bit of setup and takedown time. I'm looking into getting a better storage system for the ship parts especially. Loads of people on BGG use some sort of plastic tray with compartments so hopefully I can pick up similar. If anyone has this, can you let me know where you got it, cheers.

Great game anyway, highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

rzaba666 wrote: »
    got this for my son's birthday, we tried few turns yesterday and it seems like funny game ;) little bit like Ascension type deck building. I am pretty sure there are few people here that will like it (yank? ;) )

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/125678/dc-comics-deck-building-game

pic1355432_md.png

You know I'm the ascension master. Yank is not a patch on me.

osh wrote: »
    So a couple of slight downsides to the game. Firstly it does take up a fair bit of space, I'd say we could have fitted in one more player on our table, so I don't know how feasible a 5/6 player game will be.

Not a huge Eclipse fan. It's good but not ... great. Last game I played was a 6 player game. You need allot of space yeah. Suits 4 players better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fengol

I got Munchkin Axe Cop as well, but didn't realise that it was 3-6 players, doh! So haven't played it yet.

Munchkin works ok as a 2 player game too. It's not as good as with 3+ but it does work. Me and the other half play this a fair bit.

Just picked up Munchkin Bites! too, not played it yet though.

I got Munchkin Axe Cop as well, but didn't realise that it was 3-6 players, doh! So haven't played it yet. The Smallworld Underground I picked up looked to be the last copy in Gamers World, we went for it over regular Smallworld simply because we liked the look of the races more!
    Already have Zombie Fluxx and their Back to the Future card game.

Me and the GF play 2 player Munchkin quite a bit; we found that with a simple house rule disallowing players to dick each other before hitting Lvl4 that the game balances out very nicely for 2 players, though you should also take out the Kneepads of Allure (or whatever similar card(s) are in Axe Cop).

Cool! Good to hear! We'll have to try out two player Axe Cop, thanks!

Oh, one other thing about Smallworld Underground is that the box is laid out extremely well and it's obvious that they put thought into where all the pieces will go when putting the game away again. I have read though that this may depend on where the set you got was made, as some come with a storage tray that doesn't hold all the separate pieces/cards.

The copy I got has the storage tray for all of the pieces. And if you leave the sprues from those pieces in the box underneath the tray nothing falls out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

brianon wrote: »
    Not a huge Eclipse fan. It's good but not ... great. Last game I played was a 6 player game. You need allot of space yeah. Suits 4 players better imo.

Dont mind him. Its a good BIG game, not many hold my interest when they get that huge. Did we not play an 8 player of this across a giant table? we had the turn movement going at each side of the table if i recall... it moved OK. Must have been the expansion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Controversial!

Right it’s not a board game per say, but a software implementation of one.

I picked up ‘Elder Sign:Omens’ for the iPad last week which is a pretty faithful rendering of the similarly named board game. For those of you unfamiliar with the game it’s a dice and card game, where to the cards represent encounters that must be completed through the use of dice rolls.

You take the part of a group of four investigators working to prevent the emergence of an elder one; since it’s a cooperative game no one plays the part of said antagonist. Rather its actions and eventual defeat or victory is handled through the outcome of the encounters the investigators perform.

While I’ve only played the iPad version solo, you could conceivably do it multiplayer with each player taking one or more investigates and playing their turn. But I personally think this is really mainly suited for single player usage.

So in summary if you’re looking for a game which captures the look and feel of a dice and card game with a short playing time this would be worth a look.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=187

eldersigntitle.jpg

eldersignencounter.jpg

• Advertisement

Just downloaded this to try on my Android phone, plays pretty well there as well.
    Pushing it to the tablet to try it there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Mother Duck

libcover.jpg

Played this for the first time last night with 5 people and it went down great.

It hits several sweet spots, it looks great, it is incredibly simple to teach and learn, gameplay is quick and everyone is always involved, and it has enough depth to keep everyone interested.

Everyone has an identical hand of cards - your pirate crew - and each turn all the players play a card to see who gets the best share of the treasure, the highest rank card gets first choice. But each card has its own special actions and rules that will interrupt this simple flow.

So playing the Captain, who is very high rank should secure you first dibs, but someone else could play the Brute, who kills the highest rank character on the ship, meaning you'll get nothing. There's plenty of great reviews on the mechanics out there (even one earlier on this forum) so I won't go into detail on that. It is a fun, fast game that lets you use cunning, bluffing, and banter to try to get one over on the rest of the players.

You're constantly trying the best to find the balance between advancing your own plans, while trying to scupper everyone else's. While it's not mechanically similar, I'd rank it alongside games like Revolution, or Lords of Waterdeep in terms of feel and accessibility... it will hit the table again soon!

Haven't bought any games in awhile now (new laptop, weddings ahoy, not much money left), but got to play some fantastic new games at Bastardcon Lite in Limerick yesterday. On top of running Smallworld Underground and The Walking Dead myself, I got to play The Great Dalmuti, Skulls and Roses, Lords of Waterdeep, Mansions of Madness, The Resistance, Zombie Dice, and Do You Worship Cthulhu?

Zombie Dice and DYWC are of course very fun orientated with a lot of randomness, so no complaints there. Skulls and Roses was fun and intense, and Mansions of Madness was very challenging. The Great Dalmuti IMO left a lot to be desired but then again, it is a filler game. Lords of Waterdeep stole the day for me though and I have even given it a 10/10 rating on BGG. Very intuitive, strategic, great mechanics, and awesome fun seeing the different contingents come together. One I would definitely buy at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Bastardcon Lite

A convention of bastards?? :confused::D

EnterNow wrote: »
    A convention of bastards?? :confused::D

Yes it is. Couldn't make it but its a kind of underground recruitment for the full bastardcon which is for the tabletop hardcore bastards.

Picked up a few new games recently. All of them are reasonably cheap gateway games in an attempt to get my girlfriend playing too.

Lost Cities

pic194176_md.jpg

Forbidden Island

pic646458_md.jpg

Hey, That's My Fish!

pic1004115_md.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Pre-ordered Gearworld: The Borderlands

gearworld.jpg

and also ordered Love Letter

loveletter.jpg

Hopefully these will arrange before our next gamings session.

Got round to picking this up when I was in the UK at the weekend.

pic1051300_md.jpg

Haven't played it yet. Will hopefully do so this weekend.

Fengol wrote: »
    Got round to picking this up when I was in the UK at the weekend.

pic1051300_md.jpg

Haven't played it yet. Will hopefully do so this weekend.

Nice. That ones been on my wish list for quite some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭rzaba666

brianon wrote: »
    Nice. That ones been on my wish list for quite some time.

I have it and we can play it next Thur. There is also expansion available: Broad Peak and future release of Mount Everest is planned (apparently it will be stand alone game)

Advertisement