Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nail Guns

• 17-09-2019 3:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Does one exist which is domestic mains, plug powered. And able to put two inch nails into pine boards?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

A compressor and hose is mains powered. Is this what you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacwise-1183-Electric-Nail-Nailer/dp/B00GV99I9S/ but I doubt it will have the power to put nails through knots like an air powered nail gun. Nails aren't that big either 18 gauge isn't much more than a millimeter.

If this is for your bird boxes then maybe 50mm decking screws out in with an impact driver would be better unless you go for a big commercial air power nail gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

I've borrowed what i believe is the ancient equivalant of one of these for putting up a good amount of architrave and door stop around the frame.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000Y8GV56/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B000Y8GV56&pd_rd_w=OdvBh&pf_rd_p=1055d8b2-c10c-4d7d-b50d-96300553e15d&pd_rd_wg=LzMXH&pf_rd_r=W9V2CEBB6RP6BWK975KB&pd_rd_r=077edb6b-ccf4-4e9b-8c81-7ef6681b46bb&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEySVU0UlpaMlpESlgyJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTcxODgyUTJGQjRQU0YzMDRNJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3MTQxMDFXTTFQVklZR1lKRVUmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

max 40mm... I had to really dig into the timber to get them all the way home. If i dint i found i was finishing them off with a nail punch. It did me though for a couple of days, might be frustrating for constant use.

jmBuildExt wrote: »

max 40mm... I had to really dig into the timber to get them all the way home. If i dint i found i was finishing them off with a nail punch. It did me though for a couple of days, might be frustrating for constant use.

You could say that of most of the smaller nail guns I have ever used. Anything less than ideal conditions and they don't fully drive the nails. At the other extreme some of the big professional nail guns will drive a nail through multiple knots however they often damage the surface of the wood or even put the nails so deep there is no wood left to hold.

If Stigura is thinking of one for making his bird boxes I'm not sure its the best solution? Holding small pieces of wood while applying a nail gun is a bit fiddly and possible dangerous unless its done with jigs to hold the wood in position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

:( Oh dear. I've opened another can of worms, I see. What is it, with me?!

Yeppers. Starling boxes. 1" deal. I watched a tube of a bloke making a coffin with one and it was like the road to Damascus, without the IEDs. I had a vision of myself banging out nest boxes quicker than ye could say Ford.

My bro' bought himself a Ryobi 'Air' something, just to torment me. He's happy with it. Though he did say; " It can punch straight through galvanised. Which rather defeats the purpose. " :pac:

I was all over google, last night. About all I could come up with were those Tacwise things. And they're clearly not man enough. 95% of everything else seems to be cordless, these days ~ forgive me but; I just Don't Like cordless!

I saw ones run by a compressor. Only, I haven't got a compressor and was trying to dodge that issue. What happens if we start talking about compressors then, please?

Failing all else? I just looked at Impact Drivers. So, that's what they are? Funny. I'd never looked into them before. Certainly be faster than my current best; Which is drilling holes. Then pushing the screws in with my Yankee.

Quick look at Screwfix though and there's Nothing plug inable! What is it with this world?!

• Advertisement

Stigura wrote: »

My bro' bought himself a Ryobi 'Air' " It can punch straight through galvanised. Which rather defeats the purpose. " :pac:

95% of everything else seems to be cordless, these days ~ forgive me but; I just Don't Like cordless!

I saw ones run by a compressor. Only, I haven't got a compressor

You can turn down the power on the ryobis

you dont like corless,but you dont want a compressor ?
    What do you want then ?
    A mains powered nail gun?

You can turn down the power on the ryobis

I'll tell him! I'd have read the bloody manual! :D

And, yeppers ~ forgive me if I lack some basic understanding, but; I'd like a corded nail gun. I like plug in tools. Figured they must (should) exist. If they can work on batteries :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

There are plug in o es but they are pretty muck good for thin MDF. But nail guns were always air powered and then went to gas and then battery. Very few people want to be tied down with a cord

Hmmm. Cheers, Keith.

So, it really is starting to look like a split decision between a compressor ran (And thus, 'tied down') one ~ admittedly; Seemingly laying a lot more options before me. At least, that's the impression I got from last nights searching. I remember seeing quite a few with pipe lines.

Or, an Impact Driver. And, I'd imagine, finding a corded one of those, these days, would be yet further hell on earth :rolleyes:

Dunno. ID just lacks the sheer sex appeal of a Nail Gun. Watching that guy, dancing round that coffin: " Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! " It was pretty damned impressive!

I just found my flask, by the way :) Hadn't seen it in years. Just knew I'd never have thrown it away. And no body had been here to steal it from me. We're having a power cut, tomorrow and I Need my tea!

Searched the entire place. Top to bottom. Three times. With a torch. Finally found the bastard! Tucked away, behind things, in a dark corner of one of my store room shelves :cool:

Sort of bloke I am, ye see? Dog with a bone. I want what I want. And I Don't want a bloody battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

keithdub wrote: »
    Very few people want to be tied down with a cord

Used to go out with and English bird once..She certainly did.

• Advertisement

FPMSL!!! :DThanks, Stratowide. There goes a mouthful of perfectly good stout!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GV99IOI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have this one, drives 45mm 18/16g brads and never had issues with it... I have never attempted to drive one through a knot... why would anyone? Clad a full shed with it, lots of skirting etc.. I picked it up on sale from Amazon for 69 pounds which was a bargain at the time

:D:D:D Oh, JP, My Man!!! Surely one of the Most iconic parts of The Wire?! (And, yes; I have the boxed set on my shelf!)

I can just see me explaining to my Dogs: " ****, right here's Tight! " :D

Now, That's caught my eye, mloc. Can't understand why it didn't show in last nights trawl :confused:

Looks like Tacwise have finally manned up then? All their gear always eluded to picture frames! But, that's a beefier beast, for sure.

Okay. Thanks. That one's going on my short list :)

And, yeah; I'd generally have the wiggle room to dodge a knot.

That comment about using two hands though? Has me considering 3Cents' point about a safe jig.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Tacwise are ok, I have an old el191, but it struggles with the longer nails, just use it for carpet etc now... it wouldn't drive longer nails fully in to hard woods. Mainly use a compressor and pneumatic one now, works perfect.

... it wouldn't drive longer nails fully in to hard woods. Mainly use a compressor and pneumatic one now, works perfect.

But, surely, deal wouldn't be considered a hard wood, would it :confused:

" compressor and pneumatic "? Ye mean a pneumatic one, powered by a compressor? (Forgive me; Other that Snoops " Powder Actuated Cadillac ", I really don't know the terms applied to these things :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yea the EL191 struggled with the longer brads, might be just ok with deal. I only really use it for stapling some carpet or tacking beeding around laminate flooring now....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have a Senco the same as this one.
    https://www.amazon.com/Senco-PC0947-18-Gauge-Nailer-Compressor/dp/B00008PWW9
    Works great with 50mm 18g nails.
    I can't fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Sorry, I just have to ask. Why is a bird box being made out of 1" deal...is there a risk of RPG's or something?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've a hilti nail gun, just needs nails and gas....

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

I know your looking for mains powered but having used a Tackwise for years and just recently upgraded to a Ryobi Air, they really are chalk and cheese. Tackwise barely embeds the nail and the Air just powers it home. I'm finding new things to nail everyday, just to have an excuse to use it :D

Sorry, lads! Don't know what happened there. I lost contact with the thread :confused:

Yea the EL191 struggled with the longer brads, might be just ok with deal. I only really use it for stapling some carpet or tacking beeding around laminate flooring now....

Yeah. Isn't that the Tack what ever one? They just never seem to be said to be Man, do they?

Hate to throw a ton at one, only to then want to throw my hammer at a part driven nail :(

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I have a Senco the same as this one.
    https://www.amazon.com/Senco-PC0947-18-Gauge-Nailer-Compressor/dp/B00008PWW9
    Works great with 50mm 18g nails.
    I can't fault it.

Well; That, at least, gives me a ball park on the cost of a compo combo. Bit scary they only warrant the comp for Days though?! :eek:

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    Sorry, I just have to ask. Why is a bird box being made out of 1" deal...is there a risk of RPG's or something?:pac:

:confused: Dunno. I can only imagine I asked for " A Plank ", in some builders merchants, decades ago, and they sold me that? Maybe I read it somewhere?

Can only verify that I've made, and used, these boxes for decades now. They work. I guess, between the thermodynamics and my clumsy wood butchering skills, it's just a balance.

Certain 'Authoritative Bodies' see my reports of the hundreds of starlings I count, here. They laugh and 'question' my reports.

I just shrug. And wonder how many starling boxes They have paid for, out of their own pockets. Made, put up, and are ringing the triple figures of chicks in, a year.

I've a hilti nail gun, just needs nails and gas....

" Hilti Gun "? Bit barbaric, aren't they? I've seen them in use. Mate has one. " Powder Actuated ". Possibly a teentsy bit over kill for a one inch bit of soft wood?

I know your looking for mains powered but having used a Tackwise for years and just recently upgraded to a Ryobi Air, they really are chalk and cheese. Tackwise barely embeds the nail and the Air just powers it home. I'm finding new things to nail everyday, just to have an excuse to use it :D

:DLove this! Boys and our toys, eh?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

:DLove this! Boys and our toys, eh?! :D

Stigura - I love your threads on Boards. Every single one of them has me laughing at some point. Classic :D

I have one of the Ryobi Airstrike ones - perfectly capable machine; not too heavy and not too loud but as with all battery driven ones, you'll need to have a battery or two to swap while another is charging if you're using it for hours.

Stigura - I love your threads on Boards. Every single one of them has me laughing at some point. Classic :D

:eek: Jesus wept, Chills! If the lot on Nature see this? They'll be foaming at the mouth with added hatred for me!

Ryobi? Yeah. Having looked into them, I'd (Surprised to say) consider them a nice little Go To make.

It's just my pathological hatred of bloody batteries!!! I can't stand the things!

If I can't plug it into the wall? I just feel like bouncing it off the wall! Just one of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Aye - fair enough. I'm the same with EV cars - I'm just not there yet.

Personally I'd be with the rest of the folk recommending an air nailer since you're dead set against a battery one, and if you don't already have a compressor you get the side advantage of buying something that you can use for loads of other stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

:eek: Jesus wept, Chills! If the lot on Nature see this? They'll be foaming at the mouth with added hatred for me!

Ryobi? Yeah. Having looked into them, I'd (Surprised to say) consider them a nice little Go To make.

It's just my pathological hatred of bloody batteries!!! I can't stand the things!

If I can't plug it into the wall? I just feel like bouncing it off the wall! Just one of those things.

You need to embrace technology stigura!! Battery is the only job. Savage power in the newer stuff. Completely portable (no trailing leads around the place) and if you are doing light enough work the battery will last all day.
    Unravelling old leads and winding up power cords around tools are last century. Lift up tool and use it, whenever and wherever you like is the way!! Most of the new stuff also has built in LED lights and soft start technology (adjustable speed settings make life easier and safer).

Other stuff :confused:

Well, now ye mention it? My mate once brought his (some sort of) compressor here. Can't remember what for now. But, we decided he might stick it through my lap top?

My god! What an experience! We were stood in my lobby. He held the pipe against a vent in the machine and turned it on. I'll never forget losing sight of him, as this red cloud engulfed us!!! :eek:

Turf, see? Stove, burning turf and nuggets for years. Lap Top fans sucking it all in .....

What I'm getting at is; I've had some Power Blower / Computer Cleanser sort of reverse vacuum cleaner on my Amazon wish list for Years now! (Since the above experience). €80.00+?

I'm a firm believer in everything being for a reason. Could This be the reason I've never yet quite got round to buying that blower?

So; What else could I do with a compressor? Drive nails. Clean computers. Torment Dogs ....?

mfceiling wrote: »
    Unravelling old leads and winding up power cords around tools are last century.

Have you any idea how old I am? :o

Nooo. I just can't stand battery driven tools! I had a battery drill / driver thing. Hitachi, so no muck 'n rubbish. Damn thing upped and died on me. Batteries, as I remember?

Went on line? Could buy the whole ensemble, again, cheaper than I could replace the dead bits! Sod That!

My Work / Tool room's small. I have both sizes of extension cables. I can even work outside, when it's sunny :) No need for battery driven things.

Compressor though? Wonder if I could shoot flies off my computer screen with one?

I'm warming to a compressor :)

• Advertisement

Lidl have a quite respectable and capable compressor in this week €109. No nailer but you don't want their's the one I bought wasn't that good but they also have extension hose and all the fittings for small money.

Advertisement