Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Man shoots dead neighbour in Co. Mayo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It matters to the rest of us when something like this happens, that's the problem here

Yes, but you are putting your head on that old guy's shoulders. It doesn't work like that.

You clearly aren't terrified of intruders, nor am I. But he was. And terrified people react differently to me and you.

I'm not excusing him by the way, I'm just arguing the point that the fear is real for people like that and that can cause them to act irrationally. Padraig Nally was so afraid he was sleeping in a cattle shed that was falling down. Seriously, if I kept a dog in the shed that Nally was sleeping in, I'd be reported to the ISPCA.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Yes, but you are putting your head on that old guy's shoulders. It doesn't work like that.

You clearly aren't terrified of intruders, nor am I. But he was. And terrified people react differently to me and you.

I'm not excusing him by the way, I'm just arguing the point that the fear is real for people like that and that can cause them to act irrationally. Padraig Nally was so afraid he was sleeping in a cattle shed that was falling down. Seriously, if I kept a dog in the shed that Nally was sleeping in, I'd be reported to the ISPCA.

But theres a difference here BC, if someone is inside my actual house then I'll be probably be terrified but that's a whole different kettle of fish and here we're talking here about someone 'just' on your property and then I'm definitely not terrified but certainly wary. And that wariness means being prepared but also aware that there's a very high chance it will be harmless.

And fair enough I do understand what you mean about him being irrational, but then he shouldn't be allowed to have a gun if he's a danger to others, or living on his own if he's a danger to himself/ running himself into the ground. I know you're not excusing him, but it feels like others are, as if the poor dead man is just collateral damage to some extent

Edit: Wait I see I actually replied 'house broken into' originally a few posts back, I meant to say just robbed since the post I was replying to meant people on the property

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

My house was broken into twice in two years. The house was empty both times.

Lucky escape for the thieves I reckon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

I don't know anyone who's house has been broken into, and the vast majority of people haven't been. Whereas I can think of very rare occasions when people called over that late, to drop something off, check up on someone, even ask for a drop of milk in one case.

I don't know if you live in a rural or urban setting, personally I live in a very rural isolated area, been here over 20 years now, we're in bed by 10.00/10.30 every night, sometimes earlier, nobody has ever called to the house to "drop something off" etc at 12 midnight, and if I heard activity outside the house at that hour of the night it certainly would frighten the living daylights out of me, as obviously it did to this 85 year old man.

GoneHome wrote: »
    I don't know if you live in a rural or urban setting, personally I live in a very rural isolated area, been here over 20 years now, we're in bed by 10.00/10.30 every night, sometimes earlier, nobody has ever called to the house to "drop something off" etc at 12 midnight, and if I heard activity outside the house at that hour of the night it certainly would frighten the living daylights out of me, as obviously it did to this 85 year old man.

Spent most of my life rural, over 20 years too. And you never once had someone come to the door? Neighbour who needed a hand with something? Rounding up a few sheep? Flood coming in? Electricity gone?

But would you go out and shoot first, ask questions later? What if it was just someone with car trouble

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Its being assumed he must have been terrified purely because of his age.

I know plenty of ballsy aul lads. He could equally have reacted out of anger, at the thought of someone trespassing on his land.

It's fight or flight, and he came out fighting.

you never once had someone come to the door? Neighbour who needed a hand with something? Rounding up a few sheep? Flood coming in? Electricity gone?

Never at that hour of the night anyway, and I wouldn't dream of going into any of my neighbours yards that late at night either for that matter.

Never at that hour of the night anyway, and I wouldn't dream of going into any of my neighbours yards that late at night either for that matter.

Well sometimes you don't have a choice, and it would be good to know you won't be killed when you are have to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Well sometimes you don't have a choice, and it would be good to know you won't be killed when you are have to

I'm finding it very hard to think of a scenario that I should be in a neighbours yard or them in mine late at night unannounced. Wouldn't dream of it. Call to the front door like anyone with an honest agenda. Pass the sides of the house you're a threat.

Hoboo wrote: »
    I'm finding it very hard to think of a scenario that I should be in a neighbours yard or them in mine late at night unannounced. Wouldn't dream of it. Call to the front door like anyone with an honest agenda. Pass the sides of the house you're a threat.

Did you miss this
    Spent most of my life rural, over 20 years too. And you never once had someone come to the door? Neighbour who needed a hand with something? Rounding up a few sheep? Flood coming in? Electricity gone?

Anyway just because you can't imagine it doesn't mean it can't happen and give you a reason to go shooting someone without a challenge. What if it's someone whose car had trouble and doesn't know the layout of the place? Neighbour cutting across the backfield?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Did you miss this

Completely irrelevant, you were replying to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,265 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

But would you go out and shoot first, ask questions later? What if it was just someone with car trouble

Yeah but people usually come to the door and ring the bell and would say something to let the person inside know who they are if it was late so as not to alarm the people in the house.

Not sure what happened in this case, maybe the dead man hadn't a chance to shout out to let the old guy know who he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

STB. wrote: »
    This is nonsense. Operation Thor is ongoing the last time I checked. 9000 arrests and 11000 charges since 2015.

Not that this is justification for the actions of those living in fear.
    So can everyone in dublin have a gun and shoot anyone that pulls up? Cos at this stage most roads in most estates have had break ins.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Completely irrelevant, you were replying to this.

It's not irrelevant when I was replying to the first part of that, which was his direct reply.

Anyway, I added in an edit for you

Yeah but people usually come to the door and ring the bell and would say something to let the person inside know who they are if it was late so as not to alarm the people in the house.

Not sure what happened in this case, maybe the dead man hadn't a chance to shout out to let the old guy know who he was.

Yep of course, it's just that doesn't seem to be what happened in this case. It would seem he didn't get a chance to shout out cause he was shot at first, which is the whole crux of the argument, you just can't go around shooting people like that, no excuses or 'tragic accident'.

So can everyone in dublin have a gun and shoot anyone that pulls up? Cos at this stage most roads in most estates have had break ins.

Not just that but anyone who comes up to you on the street should be fair game, since that's where a huge amount of crime actually happens

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Would you head straight out of the house and shoot at them if they were there?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Tazer training for rural dwellers where there are few Gardai (or none) to respond to possibly dangerous visitors should be mandatory.

Licensed like guns, but not fatal when used in the vast majority of cases. I do understand that the unwanted visitor with nefarious intent must be closer than the sight of a gun, but if I could get one legally, I would.

Either that, or get those iron gates on doors and windows that you see in Spain all over the place. They are EU and it doesn't appear to breach H+S laws. Be like living in a prison, but hey, if you feel safe, it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Hopefully this man's mistake will make others think twice going forward.

Irrational fear convinced him that his friend on the road outside his house was out to get him and he decided to shoot. He didn't take a breath and give the situation the time it needed.

The law is the law and he should be punished. We can't normalise this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Would you head straight out of the house and shoot at them if they were there?

If they were loading up your tools and machinery would you stay lookin out at them? Wait till the morning to see what’s missin.?

• Advertisement

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    If they were loading up your tools and machinery would you stay lookin out at them? Wait till the morning to see what’s missin.?

Are your tools worth a man's life? Get insurance like a normal person.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,357 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I live in an area that was a rural but not isolated area at one stage, but it was pitch black at night even waking up to the sound and light of some lads lamping in the field behind the house if you woke from a sleep suddenly and you were on your own would give you a fright.

I would have been absolutely terrified if someone was outside and i was on my own its hard to rationalise.

No excuse for him shooting his neighbor though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Are your tools worth a man's life? Get insurance like a normal person.

There writes someone who has never tried to claim off an insurance policy for theft and is clearly completely unaware of the cost of insurance these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Yea he should move to dublin...
    What a absolute nonsense comment!!! You've actually managed to annoy me.

This is his home all his life, So because theres breakins and because the mans scared sh1tless he should move out of the community he grew up in. Away from his friends and family.

Or there's another alternative. Don't live in fear that there is a 25,000 to 1 chance of you being burgled each day.

If you can't do that then you're not strong enough to live alone.

Scared ****less does not justify killing, don't know how many times I have to say that.

This man didn't shoot in the air, he shot at a target twice. Lunatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

mariaalice wrote: »

No excuse for him shooting his neighbor though.

Yep, he really should have shot himself. That way, all of the clueless opinionated urban fools posting on this thread would be happy.

Portsalon wrote: »
    Yep, he really should have shot himself. That way, all of the clueless opinionated urban fools posting on this thread would be happy.

I would rather he had shot himself than someone else.

mariaalice wrote: »
    No excuse for him shooting his neighbour though.

That's the crux of it though, the 85 year old man didn't know it was his neighbour, which of us would at 12 o'clock at night when we're asleep in our bed? It's the dark of night, in a quiet, rural area, a car pulls up outside the house and a man walks in around the yard, would our first thought be "oh that must be Johnny from up the road calling in for a cup of tea", it certainly wouldn't be mine, I'm no where near 85 years of age, so you can just imagine the fear this elderly man must have felt at that moment.

That's the crux of it though, the 85 year old man didn't know it was his neighbour, which of us would at 12 o'clock at night when we're asleep in our bed? It's the dark of night, in a quiet, rural area, a car pulls up outside the house and a man walks in around the yard, would our first thought be "oh that must be Johnny from up the road calling in for a cup of tea", it certainly wouldn't be mine, I'm no where near 85 years of age, so you can just imagine the fear this elderly man must have felt at that moment.

Could he not have just stayed inside and phoned the guards? He must have had a phone to be able to phone the shooting in. Keep the shotgun with him and pointed at a bedroom entrance like someone has said.

Instead he went out and started firing a shotgun about the place.

Tazer training for rural dwellers where there are few Gardai (or none) to respond to possibly dangerous visitors should be mandatory.

Licensed like guns, but not fatal when used in the vast majority of cases. I do understand that the unwanted visitor with nefarious intent must be closer than the sight of a gun, but if I could get one legally, I would.

Either that, or get those iron gates on doors and windows that you see in Spain all over the place. They are EU and it doesn't appear to breach H+S laws. Be like living in a prison, but hey, if you feel safe, it's worth it.

Or just increase the number of Gardai and the response times. If people are living in fear then making them barricade themselves in will make it worse..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I know some country dwellers are getting very annoyed here but I'm also getting annoyed at the constant posts about "constant fear".

Seriously, how does one live a live in constant irrational fear. It's not a life worth living if that's the case.

I don't believe anyone lives in "constant fear". You'd be dead from stress if you did live your life like that.

Advertisement