Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just want to highlight an excellent youtube channel, Summoning Salt

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtUbO6rBht0daVIOGML3c8w

The guy does documentaries on the history of speed running records and all of the videos I've watched have been really interesting and entertaining. There's loads of stuff in there you wouldn't know about how these games are speed run...ran...??

Anyway worth a subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I had a dream where I had a SNES, now I kinda want one...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just want to highlight an excellent youtube channel, Summoning Salt

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtUbO6rBht0daVIOGML3c8w

The guy does documentaries on the history of speed running records and all of the videos I've watched have been really interesting and entertaining. There's loads of stuff in there you wouldn't know about how these games are speed run...ran...??

Anyway worth a subscription.

Yep agreed great channel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

How is it I can remember this ad when I would have only been about 1 when it first aired? I thought my second birthday would be my first memory, but apparently not in this case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How is it I can remember this ad when I would have only been about 1 when it first aired? I thought my second birthday would be my first memory, but apparently not in this case.

It was massively popular and ran for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Came up on Facebook ads, setting up in Limerick
    https://www.facebook.com/levelupbarkade/

It was massively popular and ran for years.
    I should also mention...is that John of John and Mary from Father Ted?
    Came up on Facebook ads, setting up in Limerick
    https://www.facebook.com/levelupbarkade/
    NOICE! Now I have less reason to venture over to Dublin for my arcade needs.

NOICE! Now I have less reason to venture over to Dublin for my arcade needs.

No idea where they're gonna set up the barcade yet, I'll post again if I hear anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Just tried out my original PS1 I had in work, hasn't turned it on in a few months and I've no idea if anyone was diddling with it but it doesn't output any video :eek: Hopefully just the RGB cable as I see the drive motor spinning when the lid button is held down.

Anyone have a PS1 die on them with no video output in case the video cable isn't the cause?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Just tried out my original PS1 I had in work, hasn't turned it on in a few months and I've no idea if anyone was diddling with it but it doesn't output any video :eek: Hopefully just the RGB cable as I see the drive motor spinning when the lid button is held down.

Anyone have a PS1 die on them with no video output in case the video cable isn't the cause?

Turned out I had a pinched wire in the PISO switchboard, all is good in the world again and now after my searching for common issues got me all nostalgic for the console that I now have a PS1 Debug Console (Green) coming my way. Yay I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Some find this was. (I'm sure this has been seen everywhere, but I'd never seen it!)

https://twitter.com/DaveJustDave/status/1174006763131027457?s=20

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The megadrive mini add ons (mega CD, 32X and carts.) are getting a US release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The megadrive mini add ons (mega CD, 32X and carts.) are getting a US release.
    The name he calls it...

YaHMS0U.png

Anyone see the ad where they're watching the rugby match on a 3DS? And the other one is watching it on a PSVR I think
    https://youtu.be/JEp9SPzfY-A

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

I got the Japan Megadrive Mini tower today. Ordered it Thursday and arrived this morning all the way from Japan. Well played DHL, well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

I got the Japan Megadrive Mini tower today. Ordered it Thursday and arrived this morning all the way from Japan. Well played DHL, well played.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

kevin2me wrote: »

Where did you order it from ?
    I really cant face SF2 on a 3 button controller.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

horgan_p wrote: »
    Where did you order it from ?
    I really cant face SF2 on a 3 button controller.....

Amazon had them back in stock for about €35 plus vat and shipping, all gone again now.

As for pads, any of the Retrobit Mega Drive or Saturn pads work.

https://twitter.com/GameSack/status/1175562928310767616?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Anyone see the ad where they're watching the rugby match on a 3DS? And the other one is watching it on a PSVR I think
    https://youtu.be/JEp9SPzfY-A

Cool, I'd definitely watch it in VR if wasn't ****ing rugby.

Cool, I'd definitely watch it in VR if wasn't ****ing rugby.
    With a little bit of the bubbly? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Absolutely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

What are peoples opinions on the DSi XL? I have a 3DS but my buy things I don't need urge is getting strong again

It's a lovely system, just watch out for the idiotic region locking on it. I think some late games like Solatorobo won't work on it.

It's nice to have a DS system as you can play games in native res, whereas on 3DS it's either blurry or in a smaller window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

It's nice to have a DS system as you can play games in native res, whereas on 3DS it's either blurry or in a smaller window.

That's what I was thinking. I think DSi's can be hacked now and I might be better off getting one now since the DS is definitely getting old enough for nostalgia purchases to start kicking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The DS, what a console!

It must have one of the greatest libraries of all time. From the time it came out till the the time the 3DS was released, I don't think I put it down.

The flash cards were a revelation. I remember long before whatsapp and portable IMing on phones was a thing (and mobile phones were still fairly dumb in general), using a DS homebrew messaging application as a means of talking to a friend who was travelling around Kenya. When they managed to find a hostel with wifi they'd connect their DS and send a few instant messages. Worked surprisingly well.

The DS is pretty much my favourite console of all time. Only the PS1 comes close to the breadth of choice of games and the library is just full of our and out crackers. There's some much inventiveness and originality. Even the 3DS while great is a bit too light on inventiveness and a bit to heavy on JRPG.

It's such a shame that like all consoles it's going to be historically ignored as being one of the very best (I still say best by a large margin) game systems of all time while people argue whether it was the SNES or PS2.

• Advertisement

It's a lovely system, just watch out for the idiotic region locking on it. I think some late games like Solatorobo won't work on it.

You could try your luck with a 3DS XL. The larger screen effectively cancels out the small window concerns when playing playing pixel perfect.

Advertisement