Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Movies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    Home Alone 3 is poor.
    I think IIRC theres even a 4th, but lets be honest its only the first 2 that count.

On a side note, Sstumbled onto the Sony Christmas channel last night when channel surfing but couldnt bring myself to start watching hallmark-esque christmas films this soon... pre Halloween it just doesnt feel right.

At the risk of being barred, truth be told I'm not a fan of those type of christmas films anyway & rarely watch them, if ever. I prefer to stick to the mainstream ones & haven't added much to that list over the years... keep meaning to try & watch a few of the others but never seem to get the time.

Agree; on both points.

I tried a few times to watch some of those movies on Sony last year and found them a hard slog at times. I wanted to enjoy them however they weren't doing it for me. Even the one I watched some of the other night was tough going even when I was in a very Christmasy mood.

In saying that 'Christmas with the Kranks' was on the other night was very tempted as that is a proper Christmas movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

TRS30 wrote: »
    In saying that 'Christmas with the Kranks' was on the other night was very tempted as that is a proper Christmas movie!

Would you believe i've yet to watch it. Must make time to do so in the run up this year.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Would you believe i've yet to watch it. Must make time to do so in the run up this year.
    I have read the plot and does not ring a bell, don't think I have ever seen it, either.

The title reminds me of Christmas with the Coopers, anyone seen that one ? I caught it on TV last year and it was already started.
    Found it quite similar to The Family Stone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I really enjoyed Christmas with the Coopers. Don't think I've ever actually seen Christmas with the Kranks though.

My wife actually was the one who knew of it so when it was on in the run up to Christmas a couple of years ago we watched it together.

Is no National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation however very watchable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Christmas with the Coopers. Don't think I've ever actually seen Christmas with the Kranks though.

I've yet to see Christmas with the Coopers, it's never no any of the streaming platforms or Sky.

Will Ferrell, Ryan Reynolds to Star in Musical Reimagining of 'A Christmas Carol'

"Multiple studios are currently bidding, according to insiders"

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/will-ferrell-ryan-reynolds-star-musical-reimagining-a-christmas-carol-1241230

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

otnomart wrote: »
    Will Ferrell, Ryan Reynolds to Star in Musical Reimagining of 'A Christmas Carol'

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/will-ferrell-ryan-reynolds-star-musical-reimagining-a-christmas-carol-1241230

I’m in.

Loughc wrote: »
    I’m in.

Yeah, what's not to like. I'm in too!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I hate to tempt fate and say this will really good.

BTW Will Ferrell has got really old looking!

• Advertisement

Gremlins is getting a wide cinema re-release in the UK this Christmas

"celebrations are underway for the 35th birthday of the first Gremlins movie. The film lands on the Ultra HD 4K Blu-ray format this autumn, and we now learn that a major cinema re-release is being planned. this year, on Friday 6th December, the film will be heading onto 300 screens around the UK. "
    Source: https://www.filmstories.co.uk/news/gremlins-is-getting-a-wide-cinema-re-release-in-the-uk-this-christmas/

Wonder if they will release it also in other European countries ?

Gremlins is getting a wide cinema re-release in the UK this Christmas

"celebrations are underway for the 35th birthday of the first Gremlins movie. The film lands on the Ultra HD 4K Blu-ray format this autumn, and we now learn that a major cinema re-release is being planned. this year, on Friday 6th December, the film will be heading onto 300 screens around the UK. "
    Source: https://www.filmstories.co.uk/news/gremlins-is-getting-a-wide-cinema-re-release-in-the-uk-this-christmas/

Wonder if they will release it also in other European countries ?

I remember this when it first came out, now I feel really old :eek:

Ditto. Remember being brought to see it in the cinema with the family, that & santa claus the movie always stand out as two we were brought to before christmas as kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Watched Lethal Weapon tonight for the first time. Didn’t realise it was a Christmas movie. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Miracle on 34th Street starting on Film 4

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

honeybear wrote: »
    Miracle on 34th Street starting on Film 4

Can’t believe I missed it

Get Santa, has been added to Netflix Ireland today.

Small plot summary,

"When Santa gets arrested for trespassing after crashing his sleigh, it's up to a father-son team to spring him from jail and save Christmas."

Never seen it myself, don't have high hopes for it, still might give it a watch tho :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Still freaked out by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

shelly22 wrote: »
    Can’t believe I missed it

They had it on a few weeks ago too. Don’t worry it’ll be on again soon.

Home Alone 2 is on Film4 this evening at 6.40.

• Advertisement

When Christmas meets horror: ‘Santastein

Low-budget indie movie to begin production in late November.

The Christmas-slasher-comedy film takes place in a world without Christmas and pits a vengeful Santa Claus against a group of unsuspecting teenagers.

https://www.themiamihurricane.com/2019/10/06/when-christmas-meets-horror-santastein-is-born/

Trailer for Netflix's 'Klaus'

Usual spoiler alerts apply !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

Yesterday after Sunday cleaning, I sat down to watch a guilt free Christmas film on the sky Christmas channel. I have to say, and I’ll watch nearly anything Christmassy but cannot recommend The 12 dogs of Christmas or some name that affect! I mean there’s bad and there’s bad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Jude13

Trailer for Netflix's 'Klaus'

Usual spoiler alerts apply !

"This holiday season" grumble, its flipping Christmas

Jude13 wrote: »
    "This holiday season" grumble, its flipping Christmas

Hate that (referring to christmas as 'the holiday season or suchlike) myself. Even mentioned it previously on that christmas rant thread from a couple of years back. Really hope it doesnt become a thing here.

Meh, it makes sense in America where Christmas isn’t the only holiday at that time of year. I can’t hate on that level of inclusivity. It wouldn’t made sense in Ireland because the other holidays are essentially invisible.

Yeah ditto, we all have our own holidays and as I believe I have mentioned Christmas would not fall in to my background/thinking but I respect and love it. If I said "holidays murbarak" instead of "edi mubarak" people would think I was weird and possibly disrespecting the tradition. Anyway, don't want to make this an after hours type car crash.

I will still defo watch that,

Meh, it makes sense in America where Christmas isn’t the only holiday at that time of year. I can’t hate on that level of inclusivity. It wouldn’t made sense in Ireland because the other holidays are essentially invisible.

But its not inclusivity with other holidays, they specifically refer to their respective correct names.

Jude13 wrote: »
    But its not inclusivity with other holidays, they specifically refer to their respective correct names.

I don’t get you? I’ve seen plenty of people who would celebrate one or more of Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, etc in the States and would say Happy Holidays. Seems pretty inclusive to me.

• Advertisement

When advertising an event to other religious holidays it is not referred to as 'the holiday season' as per my example earlier in relation to Eid.

Advertisement