Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hive Active Heating etc

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

turniton wrote: »
    Sorry guys. I have an EPH R17 (1 zone) manual control, that I use to program heating times. let s say I get the hive. I ll leave the EPH control ON and than with the Smart Phone I can control heating time through the Hiive (sorry I am new to this)

well you mostly setup all the stuff via the hive controller, times you want to heat house/water, and temperature to maintain, say if house average temp is 18c and it drops below that you can get hive to kick in to bring temp up - the app is more like of extension or remote to turn on off heating without need to be in house or go to boiler.

might sound complex but really once installed it takes few minutes to figure out basic setup, rest is up to you deciding schedules as you would do with timer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

The first one is for an additional zone, the second more expensive one is what you need to begin with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭THE ALM

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Has anyone had a look at the Hive Valves? Available in the UK right now but as per usual we have to wait for some unknown reason.. Might be possible to get them shipped via ParcelMotel.. not sure.

Seem to allow for a greater level of granular control per room rather than per zone.. Could get 5 for £200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

lawred2 wrote: »
    Has anyone had a look at the Hive Valves? Available in the UK right now but as per usual we have to wait for some unknown reason.. Might be possible to get them shipped via ParcelMotel.. not sure.

Seem to allow for a greater level of granular control per room rather than per zone.. Could get 5 for £200

Very interested and glad they're finally out, not interested at that price point though, might wait for a sale.

pm1977x wrote: »
    Very interested and glad they're finally out, not interested at that price point though, might wait for a sale.

Hive have there Autumn sale on now putting the valves at just short of £34.

You may have to use the likes of address pal for shipping, not sure how they are for delivery here with Bord Gais tied up with them although I have ordered from the uk before, that may have changed. I can get the shipped to the North so not such a big issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RRowner

Hi are any of you having issues with your Hive App on iphone IOS13? My app has stopped working and the people at Hive are aware of the issue and working on resolving same. Just curious if all Hive users are affected or only some. I am still getting notifications from camera detecting people but i cannot even log into the app to see live feeds or control my heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

RRowner wrote: »
    Hi are any of you having issues with your Hive App on iphone IOS13? My app has stopped working and the people at Hive are aware of the issue and working on resolving same. Just curious if all Hive users are affected or only some. I am still getting notifications from camera detecting people but i cannot even log into the app to see live feeds or control my heating.

Same for both myself & my wife on the Android app. Seems to be for the last day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭xabi

RRowner wrote: »

Same here today, happened a couple of weeks ago too.

• Advertisement

mine throws message no internet connection for last week or so but returns to normal in few seconds android phone.
    Id imagine if its major issue affecting many fix will follow.

App back updating now, hopefully issue resolved

Seems to be back up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Anyone with a bulb able to shed light on this - I'm using mimic mode to have it on 5pm to 11.20pm, yet every night without fail it shuts off at 11pm! Can't figure it out, have tried variations such as 11.25, 11.30 etc, but it still kicks off at 11.

The app is now back saying updating app. Cannot view cameras or activate heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Anyone have any issues with the Hive Advance heating setting on the app? Having an issue the last few days where if the heating is meant to come on from 7-8, and if at 6 I select the advance option the heating comes on for 2 hours rather than just coming on for an hour as it should between 7-8?

Quintis wrote: »
    Anyone have any issues with the Hive Advance heating setting on the app? Having an issue the last few days where if the heating is meant to come on from 7-8, and if at 6 I select the advance option the heating comes on for 2 hours rather than just coming on for an hour as it should between 7-8?
    not sure what you mean by advance setting - boost maybe ?

but check what target temp is for advanced setting could be that its higher maybe then you have set ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

It advances to next time slot, but continues to heat up to the end of that slot, so at 6 you're basically starting the next time slot early, but it will stay on until 8 & will heat for 2 hours (6 to 8)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Hey everybody. Just have a query in the Hive thermostat, small bit confused on which is the best option to go for and where to buy cheapest.

Currently my house is zoned into 3 zones I think, downstairs, upstairs and Hot water. Hot water heats when the upstairs and downstairs is selected and also there is an option to heat on its own. Its a firebird oil burner. Any advice greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭fabo1thecross

Quick one folks. How do you calibrate two hive stats as there temperature is out by 2 degrees sitting beside each other on the table.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭comfort

Quick one folks. How do you calibrate two hive stats as there temperature is out by 2 degrees sitting beside each other on the table.
    Thanks.

You have two thermostats ? Is one upstairs and the other for downstairs ? As each one is for a specific zone ? or maybe I am misunderstanding how mine works. I have two - one upstairs and the other downstairs and each controls their respective zones with the upstairs one also controlling the Thord zone which is water.

Thanks.

seen this on one of the forums:-

'In order to re-calibrate your thermostat, please take 1 battery out of it, reboot your Hive Hub by taking the power cable out the back of it for 20 seconds then put it back in. Once the hub has rebooted (it has a solid green light and possibly a flashing amber light too), then put the battery back in your thermostat, this will re-calibrate your thermostat.'

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Does anyone use Hive to maintain a constant temp in the house, do you find this uses more or less fuel than having the heating come on and off at set times?

Does anyone use Hive to maintain a constant temp in the house, do you find this uses more or less fuel than having the heating come on and off at set times?
    difficult question, depends on house , how it maintains heat, where sensor is positioned.

but first year using it def find its on a lot, then again house would avg temp at 15.5c anything above means boiler on, thats a read from thermo at close to stairs landing thou, so not accurate, as using first year, will be looking to move sensor upstairs, as it def raises bills, but again- you want that avg 20c in house anyway.

since with hive you get 3 time slots for heating, they claim its six, but in reality its just 3times on 3 times off, so id hade heating water setup on shcheduled for the morning half an hours before family members need to get up to have extra heat and hot water.

thou main thermostat runs on auto - only issue is that once they installed it they put screws into wall and in a crap place, so having it upstairs where its fairly warm would eliminate constant boiler being on issue as in overall youd never want it running non stop, more as my semi d house has large kitchen extensions and pisses heat away easily, where same say keeping it at 16.5 or 17c, most rooms upstairs going all the way to the attic would be well into 20c, given current weather it aint bad, waking up to warm rooms and house, but depending how your house maintains heat, and where thermo is placed its possible to get similar as if you were using dial setup on your boiler.

as up until end of September heat was mainly off with temps inside house well above 20c theres no need for heating just water boost few times a day. but overall checking bills from last year its maybe 50-100e more this year and still a lot of down to general weather. as way i see it its mainly December to late march that most heating is required. and during summer it evens out to just scheduled heating as there little need once temps outside are 16-20c.
    as my landing hall area drops to avg of 15.5, 15c - guessing if it was upstairs it would be closer to 19-20c and night dips to around 17-18 degrees, so all in the more accurate reading and average you can get and place your thermostat in place that can give good idea for avg temps for say 1st floor - as kitchen gets heat up from making food, and isnt really important to keep it same as bedroom temps.

since as said when it reaches day temps of 17-19c theres no need to keep thermo up to maintain temps, set it 3-4c down and if it dips then not a prob if it needs to raise temp a bit.

as during summer i mostly use boost function for dishes and early morning wash up, so it sits mostly idle as there isnt much need for heat, as still will need to compare last year to this to see if theres much cost to having it run a bit more when its freezing outside, and keep it low during summer- as theres no real need.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I just set my schedules for Downstairs, Upstairs and Hot Water to one long schedule spanning the hours people are up and about. So about an hour before the first family member has to get up for work to preheat the house and then I have it set to go off at midnight when most/all of us will be in bed or their bedrooms and the residual heat should keep them comfortable a few hours into the AM. Target temps for Upstairs at 20ºc and downstairs at 21ºc. Hot water thermostat on the Cylinder closes the Hotwater Valve when its at 65ºc. The boiler is outside my bedroom door in a cupboard so I hear it firing up/turning off and after I got the Hive I was surprised at how little it was firing. Our bills are definitely a bit lower such that I know that 2 Winters in its definitely already paid for itself.

Calibos wrote: »
    I just set my schedules for Downstairs, Upstairs and Hot Water to one long schedule spanning the hours people are up and about. So about an hour before the first family member has to get up for work to preheat the house and then I have it set to go off at midnight when most/all of us will be in bed or their bedrooms and the residual heat should keep them comfortable a few hours into the AM. Target temps for Upstairs at 20ºc and downstairs at 21ºc. Hot water thermostat on the Cylinder closes the Hotwater Valve when its at 65ºc. The boiler is outside my bedroom door in a cupboard so I hear it firing up/turning off and after I got the Hive I was surprised at how little it was firing. Our bills are definitely a bit lower such that I know that 2 Winters in its definitely already paid for itself.
    have u 2 zones in the house ? mine is only set for 1h schedules prior when different family members get up for hot water, and heat is set to around 16c as anything above and its impossible to sleep upstairs since it has donwstairs reading but upstairs at that it goes well into 20s. it is def a nice thing to be in warm house specially when we get below 0 spells, and as mentioned when installation was done the guys fitted thermostat besides kitchen, which was poor judgement call, as will need to remove bracket and screws to paint wall over to relocate it upstairs. as upper floors maintain heat well, so theres no need for constant boiler running. as got my new boiler hive mid summer, basically didnt use it until early October, aside boosting water for when needing to do dishes etc. as recently got break down from board gais about overall gas- electricity usage and it worked out to smth like 100e a month, which i think is fair, as come summer and once temps go above 17c outside theres no real need for heating, just water prior others get up for work, rest just use thermo or app to boost it up for 30 min or hour when needed, but then again could depend on house entire sq space and how well its insulated.

think my only beef is that hive allows only 3 time schedules, i know they claim its 6, but to get six it has to cross over as in non stop so really its only 3 slots, on the plus side i do like vacation mode, as it lets pick dates and just maintains average temps, and once your back it goes back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭tom23

Howdy Folks…

My 2 year old boiler is cutting out after a few mins. It’s connected to hive receiver to switch on. It’s switches on fine and then after about three mins it cuts out…

bottom Green light on Receiver flashes

Any idea why this would happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Currently renovating. Electrician or plumber have never installed smart controls. We will have 3 zone heating. Is it just a case of buying the active heating pack and adding a second thermostat then for the upstairs? Is it the dual channel reciever that the boiler is wired into?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Has anyone seen an issue with hive/iOS, where the system seems to get stuck in manually "on" rather than boost.

I set up a hive for a family member, she mainly uses the boost function, but occasionally the system seems to go into manual mode. I initially suspected user error, but having gone over it, I'm not so sure.

Advertisement