Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

if its a go safe he needs to parked correctly

Your quoting a 7 year old post there, that aside, private speed vans are exempt from traffic and parking regulations in the performance of their duties, and have been since 30th August 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Aston martin

GM228 wrote: »
    Your quoting a 7 year old post there, that aside, private speed vans are exempt from traffic and parking regulations in the performance of their duties, and have been since 30th August 2016.

Thanks just looked up the regulation , your completely right I notice it has to be approved and signed off by the Garda to break the law on parking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭worded

I might have be caught speeding by a Garda van parked on the hard shoulder of a dual carriage way beofre the Loughlinstown roundabout in Dublin. They had a speed gun pointed in my direction

How long does it usually take to get the ticket?

What distance does it usually work from?

Thanks

worded wrote: »
    I might have be caught speeding by a Garda van parked on the hard shoulder of a dual carriage way beofre the Loughlinstown roundabout in Dublin. They had a speed gun pointed in my direction

Thanks

within 10 days , but its open up to six months as far as I know, the Garda radar works at a longer distance , but normally they catch you quite close and Go Safe is very short distance in both directions.

I think its 80 kph there, so hopefully you weren't going faster than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Thanks

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111240434&postcount=33

Screenshot-20190912-234656-01.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,576 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thanks

I was of the impression that if they have a speed gun they have to come after/stop you if they want to do you?

Only the camera vans can take pictures?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I was of the impression that if they have a speed gun they have to come after/stop you if they want to do you?

I think if the Garda is on the side of the road with a speed laser gun, he needs to stop you

I think if the Garda is on the side of the road with a speed laser gun, he needs to stop you

Yea, that was my thought too.. in which case worded above should be OK

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Correct.

Correct.

• Advertisement

Whilst I sympathise with the workers (genuinely), aren't those conditions part and parcel of being on the road? You're going to be miles from a toilet, it's going to be cold and the hours ain't exactly family-friendly. There's only so much creature comfort a transit van can provide and roadside facilities in Ireland are terrible compared to our counter parts.

On the bright side, it's a very handy job in terms of actual responsibilities. Your being paid to sit, in a van, talking to no one from the public and then drive home. The entire process, bar set up, is automatic. There are plenty of folks that would jump at that job.

We have the technology to automate all this to the point where there is probably a few construction crews to place / occasionally move some fixed cameras and have few people in a control room somewhere. On the whole, cheaper than the current set up to the taxpayer.

I, personally, wouldn't be rocking the boat over this. The job is what it is, it wasn't sold otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭worded

Yea, that was my thought too.. in which case worded above should be OK

That’s great news :-)

Hopefully fingers crossed I will be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Avadacov

Hey everyone,

First post here! I was coming back from Cork to Dublin today and there was a garda car parked up on a verge, I saw him when it was too late. Not sure if they had a camera. I was doing 127km overtaking someone in the left lane.

About 20 minutes later there was a guard literally hiding behind a fence! He was holding a speed gun. I was doing 125/126km also about to overtake from the left lane.

From most posts I see that the guard has to actually pull you over to book you from using a speed gun- is this true? Terrified that I could potentially be getting two sets of penalty points on the same day.

Any information is appreciated.

Avadacov wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

First post here! I was coming back from Cork to Dublin today and there was a garda car parked up on a verge, I saw him when it was too late. Not sure if they had a camera. I was doing 127km overtaking someone in the left lane.

About 20 minutes later there was a guard literally hiding behind a fence! He was holding a speed gun. I was doing 125/126km also about to overtake from the left lane.

From most posts I see that the guard has to actually pull you over to book you from using a speed gun- is this true? Terrified that I could potentially be getting two sets of penalty points on the same day.

Any information is appreciated.

You'll be grand. If they wanted to do you they would have stopped you/come after you.

Also 125-ish indicated is about 120 in real terms. You wouldn't be stopped for 2/3km over on a motorway.

Thank you! I didnt see any garda car for the second fella which is why I was thinking that maybe they could somehow photograph you from the speed gun.

Avadacov wrote: »
    Thank you! I didnt see any garda car for the second fella which is why I was thinking that maybe they could somehow photograph you from the speed gun.

I'd say possibly what was going on there is the guy hidden radios/calls to his partner in the car further up.

Watch out for them on motorway on-ramps. Someone speeding along on the motorway passes under the exit and... gotcha!

I'd say possibly what was going on there is the guy hidden radios/calls to his partner in the car further up.

Watch out for them on motorway on-ramps. Someone speeding along on the motorway passes under the exit and... gotcha!

Hopefully that's all it was. There wasn't a car/bike after your man playing hide and seek so hopefully that was hidden too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Ford Ranger Garda Roads Policing 4x4 parked up at the hard shoulder of the M1/M50 , Santry/ Coolock interchange this evening at 5:30pm.

Its where the speed limit goes from 60k to 80k heading Northbound towards airport.

Is this the Puma system on the roof? What is the detection range?

No tri-pod set up , both Garda inside the vehicle.

Parked up here https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4030392,-6.2333665,3a,75y,357.39h,77.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sApN6Wp8OEbfU20kp4IITeQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.flickr.com/photos/medic112/40834741642/in/photostream/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

kravmaga wrote: »
    Ford Ranger Garda Roads Policing 4x4 parked up at the hard shoulder of the M1/M50 , Santry/ Coolock interchange this evening at 5:30pm.

Its where the speed limit goes form 60k to 80k heading Northbound.

Is this the Puma system on the roof? What is the detection range?

Parked up here https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4030392,-6.2333665,3a,75y,357.39h,77.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sApN6Wp8OEbfU20kp4IITeQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.flickr.com/photos/medic112/40834741642/in/photostream/

i think thats one of those led signs that pop up and say slow down or checkpoint ahead. i saw one of them out before

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭AUDI20

If they are using the new laser guns they don't have to stop you.

The Gardai have being issued with new speed guns.

They are LTI-2020 TruCam2 model.

These new guns take a video and photo of each detection

You will get the summons in the post along with the evidence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭kravmaga

i think thats one of those led signs that pop up and say slow down or checkpoint ahead. i saw one of them out before

Just to clarify both Gardai were inside the vehicle, no tripod set up or hand held speed gun being used from inside.

Where is the camera located as the rear of the vehicle was facing the approaching traffic heading Northbound.

I was doing 77km but another lad was doing at least 100k and they did not give chase?

Just to clarify both Gardai were inside the vehicle, no tripod set up or hand held speed gun being used from inside.

Where is the camera located as the rear of the vehicle was facing the approaching traffic heading Northbound.

I was doing 77km but another lad was doing at least 100k and they did not give chase?

i pressumed u were talking about this sign
    https://scontent.fdub5-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/28575960_1757346290983720_4585221839700370223_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=sJlRPJD5e88AX_zQyow&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=cbc6d65b9472ddb756fe7b026b185eb3&oe=5F268230

Yes, thats the exact 4x4 in question, Ford Ranger, so if the camera is not on the roof where is it located?

There is no camera on those vehicles for the purpose of speed enforcement. There may be ANPR but it's not used whilst stationery for speed enforcement and it certainly isn't used for issuing tickets after the fact.

Gardai don't always give chase, they could be otherwise engaged.
    AUDI20 wrote: »
    If they are using the new laser guns they don't have to stop you.

The Gardai have being issued with new speed guns.

They are LTI-2020 TruCam2 model.

These new guns take a video and photo of each detection

You will get the summons in the post along with the evidence

You'll need to cite a source on that as the way the processing system is set up, there is a huge amount of outlay to issue tickets retrospectively. Likewise, from a distance, there is no way you could read a plate at night or in otherwise light compromised situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

Can a speed van nab you if the side door is open and a man is and a man was standing at the door fiddling with contents?

The_Kitty wrote: »
    Can a speed van nab you if the side door is open and a man is and a man was standing at the door fiddling with contents?

If the camera was running then yes as it's fully automated once setup. However, the driver may have been packing/setting up by the sound of it so you might be OK.

Could go either way.

Passed a garda 4x4 hidden on the lay bay of the Naas Road this morning. One guard in the driver seat with a speed gun pointed onto the road I was driving on. Was doing about 112-114km as I got stuck in the outside lane overtaking a car. Think I may have been penned in by other cars, but what's the liklihood it was an actual speed gun? Do you have to be pulled over to be booked?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Passed go safe van 20kph more than the speed limit.
    Happened two weeks ago no ticket yet, any ideas if I’ll get one?

Stupid question did someone erase comments here the last comment shown was Start of july.there was more comments that this y/day (ignore the 2 today)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Stupid question did someone erase comments here the last comment shown was Start of july.there was more comments that this y/day (ignore the 2 today)

Yeah, I had a post in here around the end of July and it's gone.

Advertisement