Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing Camper from UK

• 06-09-2019 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Apologies for this thread in advance; I can imagine it has been covered numerous time; however I would just like some advice about a camper van I would like to import from the UK

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/vw-t4-camper-for-sale/1351431150?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

That is the van... is that a straightforward import and register as a camper I.e. 13.5% VRT based on whatever crazy sum they honk the OMSP?

But if that’s the case and I get it registered; the tax will be quite low and insurance can be obtained from some like Caravan &Motorhome Ireland for something reasonable?

Is there anything about this van in particular that may not allow it to be registered as a camper? Roof height?

Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

VanPercy wrote: »
    Apologies for this thread in advance; I can imagine it has been covered numerous time; however I would just like some advice about a camper van I would like to import from the UK

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/vw-t4-camper-for-sale/1351431150?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

That is the van... is that a straightforward import and register as a camper I.e. 13.5% VRT based on whatever crazy sum they honk the OMSP?

But if that’s the case and I get it registered; the tax will be quite low and insurance can be obtained from some like Caravan &Motorhome Ireland for something reasonable?

Is there anything about this van in particular that may not allow it to be registered as a camper? Roof height?

Thanks in advance....
    That is not a camper, its a day van.
    Look at the requirements for a genuine camper and see what is required before purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Unregistered39

As someone who has just imported a camper van from the UK, I would recommend if possible buying one that's registered as a camper over there. Mine wasn't as it's a recent conversion and it has been a trial, to put it lightly. For starters, you need fixed cooking facilities and a sink, a bed, and a clear walkway from the front seats to the back. Mine's a pop-top so not too sure about the height thing but if memory serves it needs to be at least 1.8m. The only good news was that VRT was less than I expected.

If you do import one and need any pointers, let me know, and I'll help if I can. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Don't forget that after brexit you are importing from out side the EU and vat at 23 % applies (imported from Japan)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

As someone who has just imported a camper van from the UK, I would recommend if possible buying one that's registered as a camper over there. Mine wasn't as it's a recent conversion and it has been a trial, to put it lightly. For starters, you need fixed cooking facilities and a sink, a bed, and a clear walkway from the front seats to the back. Mine's a pop-top so not too sure about the height thing but if memory serves it needs to be at least 1.8m. The only good news was that VRT was less than I expected.

If you do import one and need any pointers, let me know, and I'll help if I can. Good luck!

The walkway from cabin to the rear is not a requirement for a camper, but only a requirement for some insurance companies. Also, it does not require an internal height of 1.8 metres. Again, some insurance companies require it but it is not a requirement to convert to a motorhome /camper on the logbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 VanPercy

Ok thanks for the help. So it is relatively straightforward to register as a camper??

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for the help. So it is relatively straightforward to register as a camper??

It will need to be signed off by an SQI, usually someone from the caravan club, once the interior meets all the motorhome criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 VanPercy

It will need to be signed off by an SQI, usually someone from the caravan club, once the interior meets all the motorhome criteria.

Ok thanks; is that expensive? And are they signing off on connections etc? Who does the certification of seats with seatbelts..

Ok thanks; is that expensive? And are they signing off on connections etc? Who does the certification of seats with seatbelts..

The SQI covers everything. So if you have a bed/seat with safety belts then that should be covered in the inspection too. Have a read here:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/conversions/index.aspx

This will give you an idea of the SQI inspection:

https://abcmotorengineers.ie/sqi-reports

• Registered Users Posts: 1 coachman 123

i am moveing from the u k to ireland to live ,so i have a moterhome i bough about 4 years ago and will want to change onto lrish reg will i have to pay tax , import ,ect

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

i am moveing from the u k to ireland to live ,so i have a moterhome i bough about 4 years ago and will want to change onto lrish reg will i have to pay tax , import ,ect

I'm fairly sure that as you're changing your permanent place of residence you should have no taxes to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Once you can prove ownership for over 12 months in the UK you should be able to bring it in with no vrt charge. You won't be allowed to sell it for 12 months though or you'll be liable to penalties.

Advertisement