Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Princess Bride

13»

Comments

• I know it is, it's sh1te; like really fvcking sh1te. But that's part of its charm nowadays.
    You just know that any new ROUS would be CGI death rodents completely overdone and no soul

I mean the cliffs of insanity (Cliffs of Moher) look amazing, until there is ANY cast in shot when it becomes the worst of Star Trek foam backgrounds. The Shrieking Eels look horrid, the sea sound stage is as as fake as you can get.
    It's all B-Movie greatness perfectly coming together, with a cast that nail it (almost all of them anyway)
    Christopher Guest was worth the price of the DVD alone.

The ONLY thing which they could improve on is the Pit of Despair, by having its levels, but that is absolutely not worth the mess everything else would be

• To people thinking of remaking this...

491006.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ehhhh now. I LOVE the Princess Bride - like, bordering on mania only slightly dulled by age - but I never thought the ROUSes were ever that great. A fantastic punchline to Wesley's dismissive "I don't even think they exist", but the actual FX was a bit crap. Some of it framed fine, but in others painfully obvious it was a bloke on all fours.

What are you talking about? Looks nothing like...

tumblr_pjcv8mE6NO1t653of_540.gif

Never mind.

I did a rewatch recently. Only my second time watching and think I enjoyed it more the second time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Those things are cool. Proper freaky because they're REAL. A big CGI rat will still be a big CGI rat no matter how good it looks.

For all we know that guy in the rat suit might really have been vicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Actually, ROUSes are real, I should know, after all.
    Most unpleasant creatures, frightfully ugly, and rather smelly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I will say one thing. I've never seen even the idea of a remake of a movie be so universally shat on.

The only articles I can find which seem to be positive about the idea are rooted in the idea of making the Princess more badass, ala Merida in Brave.

But even if they were to do this, and ignoring all social agendas, the movie would lose it's identity. Andre the Giant is Fezzik. Cary Elwes makes a fantastic Dread Pirate Roberts and let's be honest, anyone else who tried to play Vizzini would simply be terrible.

• Merida, for all the airs and graces her mother tries to instil, was trained by her warrior father (even if against the wishes of her mother)
    Westley was a simple farm hand until trained savagely by the previous DPR.

There is no reason for the commoner farmer's daughter Buttercup to be a bad ass (much like very few of us non competitive fighters/soldiers are any way badass)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Hammer of the Clods

Sure why not remake it. If there's a remake and it's awful nobody will really care, and will highlight how good the original was.

To make my point a short list of remakes that nobody ever mentions/remembers (except when talking about terrible remakes)
    Arthur
    Get Carter
    Psycho
    Carrie (twice)
    The Fog
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    Planet of the Apes (Tim Burton's, only notable because of the similarity to Kevin Smith's Jay and Silent Bob comic)

Not to say Princess Bride is a perfect film. The cliffs of insanity climbing sequence is absolutely horrible to watch.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Sure why not remake it.

Because remaking this film means some other film doesn’t get made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Not to say Princess Bride is a perfect film. The cliffs of insanity climbing sequence is absolutely horrible to watch.

Watched this at the weekend with my 9 year old daughter, it popped up on Netflix, I hadn’t seen it in years, and she had never seen it, so in light of all the recent chat, decided to give it a whirl.

I was actually taken aback at how basic it is - for some reason, it may have gotten muddled in my head with the likes of willow, and labyrinth. It’s a relatively grounded tale, with the only fantastical bits being the giant rat and the eels, otherwise it’s a straightforward character piece. But you know what? It doesn’t need any more than that, everyone seems to be having a great old time in it, and despite some overt references to suicide by princess buttercup, it was perfectly tame for a young audience. I think the bigger danger in remaking it, is that they’d lean too heavily in the fantasy direction and add a heap of cgi creatures that aren’t needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I saw this for the first time a few years ago and I grew up in the 80s. It was quite surreal knowing so much of the dialog from memes and others quoting it*. What surprised me was that despite some ropiness in presentation, it made a beautifully complete package. As was said before, it was probably the cast who made it.

*Starwars was another one where I knew most of the lines.

Advertisement