Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Santorini good value or not

• 16-09-2019 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Can someone please advise me as I don't travel much and am a bit clueless.
    Is €720 return flight total for 2 of us good value? I want to bring my other half for 3 nights to santorini for our anniversary and was wondering am I mad spending that much on flights for 3 nights? Or is it good value? Money is very tight so I'll have to save for months in advance thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,425 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If money is tight, its not value that matters but actual affordability surely?

The actual value is something only the both of ye can judge?
    Happy Anniversary btw ;) whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭k123456

Flights to Santorini will never be inexpensive, difficult place to get flights to

Thera, where the cruise ships pull in is expensive but beautiful

Other areas on the island much less expensive for accom, food etc

Thera is worth seeing for at least a few hours, from other parts of the Island, if going to Thera , avoid days when there is a cruise ship berthed , it does get busy then

Excellent place to bring the other half to,

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭sallyanne12

k123456 wrote: »
    Flights to Santorini will never be inexpensive, difficult place to get flights to

Thera, where the cruise ships pull in is expensive but beautiful

Other areas on the island much less expensive for accom, food etc

Thera is worth seeing for at least a few hours, from other parts of the Island, if going to Thera , avoid days when there is a cruise ship berthed , it does get busy then

Excellent place to bring the other half to,

Thank you both for your help. That's the next thing. I'd like to see those beautiful white buildings with the blue roofs and also be near a beach but won't have a car so need some affordable location near these. What's kamari like?

The Island is small, and easy to get to Thera from the "beach side of the island" , no beach in Thera , as its atop a beautiful cliff

The other side of the island has beaches (some red or black volcanic sand) , and these are not far from Thera

Scooter / motorbikes are easily hired , and I found the roads good and quiet. I would guess car hire easily arranged or public transport

I might be wrong, but I would guess Thera very expensive to stay in, boutique hotels

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

We paid €320 for 2 people in 2016, around October time. That was Ryanair to Athens and then Ryanair from Athens to Santorini. Time of the year will influence cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

The "beach" side of the island is considerably cheaper to stay in compared to the Caldera side. I've stayed in Kamari and Perissa and both are nice - marginally preferred Perissa. It's not the whitewashed villages that you expect from the postcards - they're both relatively recent developments - but accommodation is good. The beaches are black sand and stony - not the pristine golden sands that you expect from the Greek islands - but the water is clear and lovely to swim in. Some excellent restaurants and bars there too. The bus service to the Caldera side - where Thira and Oia are - is reliable but can be overcrowded in high season. Taxis are dear enough.

Having said that, if you're going all the way to Santorini consider one night in Oia or Thira just for the view. It's so utterly gorgeous. We stayed here - and here - both in Oia - and honestly it was worth every cent. You can save money by buying pizzas and wine / beer and just watching the view from your balcony for the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

stayed in fira in august, we wernt on the caldera side so accomodation was cheaper (although out of season might look for a caldera view infinity pool ) 3 days was enough,

flights sound about right santorini is beautiful but packed when we were there which takes away from it

we got the ferry from athens which was €100 for 2 one way

490909.jpg

naxos was much more chilled though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Would it be cheaper to fly to athens and get the ferry do a couple of islands?

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Would it be cheaper to fly to athens and get the ferry do a couple of islands?

Probably, depends on how much your ATH flights come in at
    Or flights or package to Crete , and a shorter ferry or hydrofoil journey to San.

Quiet often good package deals to Crete
    Stay in Crete for two days
    Santo for 3 , return to Crete for two fly home

The approach by boat is spectacular
    I am sure if you pre book accom, they would pick you up at port
    Google maps shows ferry routes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I would think the ferry from Piraeus would be the cheaper option, but don't forget that AIA is quite some distance the wrong side of Athens, so you need to factor in a pricey cab or uber ride. Well, relatively pricely, the Greek economy is still quite cheap for most of us.

The Flying Dolphins (What the rest of us would call hydrofoils) will do the run to Santorini in just under 5 hours. A regular ferry closer to 8. Honestly, there is something to be said for the slower, more relaxing method of travel, I've taken both, but it's up to you how much of the time you want to spend traveling. I stayed a little outside of Thira and rented a small car to get around the island. I don't believe Uber exists outside of Athens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement