Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas baking/cooking thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Has anyone got a Christmas cake recipe they want to share? I made these last year and they were beautiful but not sure will the recipe transfer to a cake.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/72622/christmas-cupcakes

Has anyone got a Christmas cake recipe they want to share? I made these last year and they were beautiful but not sure will the recipe transfer to a cake.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/72622/christmas-cupcakes

One packet each raisins and sultanas
    Small tub each peel and cherries, chopped.
    Small packed flaked almonds
    One small cooking apple grated
    Rind and juice of an orange and a lemon
    Large glass whiskey, brandy or any other similar alcohol
    Marinade the above overnight or a few days.

Cream 8 ozs butter or margarine with 8 ozs light brown sugar
    Add in 4 or 5 eggs one at a time (You could alternate with flour)
    Fold in small packet ground almonds, 8 ozs flour and teaspoon mixed spice.
    Combine with fruit

Either put all mixture in a 10” lined cake tin or divide into 2 smaller loaf tins

For single cake, bake in preheated oven as follows
    1/2 hour at 160
    1 1/2 hours at 150
    If needed a further half hour at 140. Until skewer comes out clean

Cool slightly in tin
    Turn out onto wire tray
    Following day, pierce with skewer and pour tablespoon of whiskey over. Wrap in grease proof paper then tinfoil and store in cool, dark, dry place.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've been sick and busy and tired for what seems like weeks but I finally got around to making chilli jam today. Next on the list is chocolates, probably filled with salted caramel, and I'll make up a jar of gingerbread man ingredients for my boss's kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Made 8 jars of Mincemeat over the weekend - roll on my mince pies!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Made 8 jars of Mincemeat over the weekend - roll on my mince pies!!!!!

I need to do this asap!! And I'm late!! I did it in July last year because I had a baby coming in August. It dried up closer to Christmas though so will be sure to use plenty brandy this time! Or what do you do to prevent that happening?

• Advertisement

I need to do this asap!! And I'm late!! I did it in July last year because I had a baby coming in August. It dried up closer to Christmas though so will be sure to use plenty brandy this time! Or what do you do to prevent that happening?

I used whiskey instead of brandy but my recipe does say that if it dries up, you can just mix another bit of whiskey/brandy into it & it'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's probably just fear mongering but they said if Brexit happens they could be a shortage of flour. So, it might be handy to stock up!

It's probably just fear mongering but they said if Brexit happens they could be a shortage of flour. So, it might be handy to stock up!

Feck. I’d better head out and stock up on flour, brandy, raisins, brandy, sultanas, brandy, peel, brandy, almonds, brandy, cherries, brandy......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Fair play Cheerlouth !

RE: Flour
    I used to buy Odlums bread mixes when I was in Ireland, I thought they were an Irish company ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

My mum picked up about 3 bags each of plain flour and self raising the other day - think she was listening to the same news report as you! :-D

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    My mum picked up about 3 bags each of plain flour and self raising the other day - think she was listening to the same news report as you! :-D

It was my mother who told me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Have stocked up too. Still to get the fruit for cake, puds and mincemeat.
    Anyone care to share what cookies they make as presents for others? I usually make shortbread and oat cranberry choc chip cookies. Also make a few cakes to give away along with mince pies and puddings (slow cooker overnight on low). Will get cracking in early October, can't wait.

tscul32 wrote: »
    Have stocked up too. Still to get the fruit for cake, puds and mincemeat.
    Anyone care to share what cookies they make as presents for others? I usually make shortbread and oat cranberry choc chip cookies. Also make a few cakes to give away along with mince pies and puddings (slow cooker overnight on low). Will get cracking in early October, can't wait.

This is a favorite of my family, but needs eating in a day or so.
    One pack puff pastry
    One jar mince, bought or homemade
    One grated apple
    Unroll pastry and spread with mince topped with grated apple.
    Roll up and slice into half inch slices
    Turn on side and place on baking tray, separated well.
    Bake in hot oven for about 15 minutes.
    Cool on wire tray, dust with icing sugar. Enjoy!

Have made those mince meat spirals before, they're so quick and easy. Every year I say I'll make my own mincemeat but usually end up buying it, haven't actually made it in years. But an easy alternative is a good jar and then add whatever to it - cranberry and port, apple and brandy, choc chips and whiskey, ginger, etc..
    I also make mince pies with grated chilled pastry on top or sometimes frangipane or a nice citrus crumble - depends on when I run out of pastry 😀

tscul32 wrote: »
    Have made those mince meat spirals before, they're so quick and easy. Every year I say I'll make my own mincemeat but usually end up buying it, haven't actually made it in years. But an easy alternative is a good jar and then add whatever to it - cranberry and port, apple and brandy, choc chips and whiskey, ginger, etc..
    I also make mince pies with grated chilled pastry on top or sometimes frangipane or a nice citrus crumble - depends on when I run out of pastry ��

There’s food for thought there! How would you make the citrus crumble?

Maryanne84 - just a standard crumble with lemon or orange zest. I sometimes add oats in the mix or sprinkle flaked almonds on top. Anything goes really for mince pies if you've a good pastry for the case.
    And mini ones are lovely and bite sized, I do them in a silicon tray so no risk of not getting them out intact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I started making candied peel last year and will definitely be doing it again this year - it's really really easy and the result tastes AMAZING - intensely orangey, slightly bitter and deliciously sweet. If you dip them in melted dark chocolate afterwards, they are even better, and are perfect to give in a fancy box as a christmas present.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/candied-citrus-peel

Couple of things to note - make a large batch; it's fairly time-consuming no matter what you do, so you might as well make a lot. Aldi have lovely oranges at the moment, you get 1.5 kg for only 49c. What I do is badger everyone around me to eat oranges (and peel them neatly!) and then store up the peels in the fridge for a few days :D and then put aside an afternoon to actually make the stuff. It's very easy but it takes a good while and obviously you don't want to leave a pot of simmering sugar syrup unattended, so you'll need to be close by.

edit: the recipe says it keeps for a month in the fridge, but I've had some stored in the freezer since last year and its still fine. It dries out slightly but that's no problem since it's easier to handle when it's a bit drier and it doesn't affect the taste.

otnomart wrote: »
    RE: Flour
    I used to buy Odlums bread mixes when I was in Ireland, I thought they were an Irish company ?

I think they are but flour is no longer milled in Ireland, we buy it from the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Ah lads....me mouth is actually watering for mince pies here!!

I've a couple of bags of plain flour bought already - just in case!! I have a few apple tarts to make for an event next weekend, so once I have the pastry made for that, I will see what is left.....might pick up another couple then. From now on, I normally throw the odd pack or two of fruit, sugar etc into the weekly shop - that way I don't have one massive shop to do nearer the time when I decide to go baking. My only problem then is storing it once I get it home!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

This is a favorite of my family, but needs eating in a day or so.
    One pack puff pastry
    One jar mince, bought or homemade
    One grated apple
    Unroll pastry and spread with mince topped with grated apple.
    Roll up and slice into half inch slices
    Turn on side and place on baking tray, separated well.
    Bake in hot oven for about 15 minutes.
    Cool on wire tray, dust with icing sugar. Enjoy!

This sounds amazing - will definitely be trying this one out!!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I've done some of the preserves. Next weekend might be blackberry jam if I have time to go picking them and chilli jam. I love the taste of blackberry but hate the seeds so doing it myself I can sieve them out.

More and more I'm prepping my Christmas stuff from scratch - so the trifle is done from scratch, as are cakes, ice-cream, stocks, gravy etc and I try to not use jarred/tinned stuff if there a fresh option. I'm only creating more work for myself but I love it.

I already heard about the brexit/flour issue so I've stocked up a bag but I think I'll add more store-cupboard items as well just in case.

That's what I love about Christmas cooking/baking, it really motivates me to do as much as possible from scratch. I do as much as possible in advance and use the freezer. Pastry, stock, cookie dough, butterscotch sauce, stuffings...

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

This year's new entry will be gingerbread dough for the freezer so we can make and decorate a house on Christmas Eve.

Between Gingerbread and Spiced Beef simmering and the mulled wine in the slow cooker my house will smell amazing that day!

I've just gone through one freezer to see what is in it in preparation for the Great Defrost of 2019! Want to have ample space in both freezers for Christmas produce!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

I've been pushing for a chest freezer a while now. Even just for ice.

Don't get a chest freezer, my mam has one, you can never find a thing in it, everything is piled on top of the other. Under counter freezer with drawers is your only man!

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Don't get a chest freezer, my mam has one, you can never find a thing in it, everything is piled on top of the other. Under counter freezer with drawers is your only man!

I was going to say the opposite.
    We had a freezer with drawers and found it useless to store Turkeys or more bulky boxy items.

I was going to say the opposite.
    We had a freezer with drawers and found it useless to store Turkeys or more bulky boxy items.

True, there is that element.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

In my family home, we have a (full-high stand alone) freezer with drawers and are very happy with it (don't have the space for a chest freezer anyway) - we wouldn't freeze anything too bulky anyway, as we never cooked a whole turkey.
    In my own flat, I only have a small fridge with the ice box, but I adjusted my habits accoridingly and manage to stuff all I need into it.

• Advertisement

Aldi has a 99 liter chest freezer in stock on Sunday 13th for €129.99.
    It's a handy enough size. Bigger than the Currys 60 litre one for €109.00.
    They are also a lot more Aldi stores around and they'd be no delivery charges.
    There's also a 3 year warranty often with cheaper items you only get 1 or 2 years.

Advertisement