Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vertical tiles catching bay window

• 17-09-2019 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I’ve a bay window in the front room and when I open one of the windows it is getting caught by a couple of vertical tiles that seem to have dropped a bit.

Is this a big job to fix?

Could it be done myself or will I need to get someone more skilled?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Hi all,

I’ve a bay window in the front room and when I open one of the windows it is getting caught by a couple of vertical tiles that seem to have dropped a bit.

Is this a big job to fix?

Could it be done myself or will I need to get someone more skilled?

Thanks in advance!

Is it a side opening pvc window.if so it sounds like the hinges have gone bad on the frame,I see it a lot on pvc frames

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

What tiles?
    Roof tiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭listermint

These needs pictures, because its very unclear what you are describing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I’ve attached a photo there. It’s the side opening window that’s catching.

The window on the other side was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Is it catching left side of the window or right side of the window as we look at the pic.
    If left side.... the tiles/shingles are definitely sliding.
    If the right side, it could be the window is falling out of square - but I think the chances of it sagging so much that the hinge side rises to meet those tiles is v slim!

Check the tiles and see is there movement up/down.
    The problem you will have is that they would have been fixed in from bottom up. So to fix the bottom ro, they all have to come off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭dodzy

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Is it catching left side of the window or right side of the window as we look at the pic.
    If left side.... the tiles/shingles are definitely sliding.
    If the right side, it could be the window is falling out of square - but I think the chances of it sagging so much that the hinge side rises to meet those tiles is v slim!

Check the tiles and see is there movement up/down.
    The problem you will have is that they would have been fixed in from bottom up. So to fix the bottom ro, they all have to come off.

If it’s the bottom, then rather than go to the ridiculous chore of removing everything, get a tube of Tec 7 in a similar color and once applied liberally to the underside and left/right joints, prop in place until set.

Advertisement