Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teacher employed in PPS with further education qual.

• 05-09-2019 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there,

I need some advice. Here is a quick description of my current situation.

I've been teaching in a private secondary school for the last 3 1/2 years.
    I've qualified abroad and have been registered with the Teaching Council, but only for further education as I studied special needs and didn't qualify for teaching one or two specific subjects.
    I am teaching full time Resource in my current position and really enjoy my role. I'm getting paid by the Dept. of Education but I am employed as a Substitute due to me not registered for Post- Primary, which means I am not getting wages continuously. No payment during any time off or when I am out sick but I am doing everything that any other teacher here in my school does too. I attend all the PT meetings, staff meetings, etc.
    It is starting to really take its toll on me financially to be honest. I know I could sign on during the summer but this takes 6 weeks minimum and by the time it is sorted, the summer is nearly over. That also doesn't help me financially over Christmas, Easter or if I am out sick.
    Does anyone know if I have any right getting employed privately or is there any other way around this?
    The TC has told me that I would have to do my teaching qualification again for the 3/4 years, which I cant financially. Time wise it would prove to be very difficult too as I have two children and my husband needs a lot of support due to a medical issue.
    I've also asked for some advice from the Teaching Union but they can't help as I can't join them due not being registered as a PP teacher. It is very frustrating situation for me.
    I'd be very grateful for any advice from you guys.
    Many Thanks in advance :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hi there,

I need some advice. Here is a quick description of my current situation.

I've been teaching in a private secondary school for the last 3 1/2 years.
    I've qualified abroad and have been registered with the Teaching Council, but only for further education as I studied special needs and didn't qualify for teaching one or two specific subjects.
    I am teaching full time Resource in my current position and really enjoy my role. I'm getting paid by the Dept. of Education but I am employed as a Substitute due to me not registered for Post- Primary, which means I am not getting wages continuously. No payment during any time off or when I am out sick but I am doing everything that any other teacher here in my school does too. I attend all the PT meetings, staff meetings, etc.
    It is starting to really take its toll on me financially to be honest. I know I could sign on during the summer but this takes 6 weeks minimum and by the time it is sorted, the summer is nearly over. That also doesn't help me financially over Christmas, Easter or if I am out sick.
    Does anyone know if I have any right getting employed privately or is there any other way around this?
    The TC has told me that I would have to do my teaching qualification again for the 3/4 years, which I cant financially. Time wise it would prove to be very difficult too as I have two children and my husband needs a lot of support due to a medical issue.
    I've also asked for some advice from the Teaching Union but they can't help as I can't join them due not being registered as a PP teacher. It is very frustrating situation for me.
    I'd be very grateful for any advice from you guys.
    Many Thanks in advance :-)

Firstly, are you on your correct point of scale - check this on the ASTI website.

Secondly, as you are not a registered PP teacher - you will be classed as unqualified - can't change that.

Thirdly, being paid as a sub - see if you are getting your rolled up holiday pay - when subbing in a school - you are paid (I don't know the exact amount but we'll say 48.00) of that 48.00 - you should receive 43.00 per hour and the remaining 5 are paid at holidays - that's the way you should be getting paid - therefore you will have to budget for the holidays/summer but you should work out your salary on your point of scale and see if it matches - contact payroll - they are usually very helpful.

If you qualified abroad and have teaching status in another European country - you can get your qualifications assessed by the TC for e200 and that will tell you your shortfalls. I can't see why you would have to repeat your teaching qualification. Likewise with your subjects. You can complete these in the universities in the evening.

Regarding signing on - I would say that it is still a possibility but if you lodge a claim with social welfare and tell them your situation as far I know you can meet with some person associated with the HSE (I think) and they can provide you with an advance.

I hope that answers most of your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Being paid as a sub and being paid as unqualified are two very different things.

Get union advice.

This is the problem with falling Union membership, nobody knows where they stand and have to resort to the Internet for answers. The answers are often incorrect.

Not referring to any replies but your circumstances are particular to you. You need personal advice and you will only get that from a union.

Being paid as a sub and being paid as unqualified are two very different things.

Get union advice.

This is the problem with falling Union membership, nobody knows where they stand and have to resort to the Internet for answers. The answers are often incorrect.

Not referring to any replies but your circumstances are particular to you. You need personal advice and you will only get that from a union.

What part was incorrect? I was the only who responded. I'm interested to know what was wrong for my own reference.

Looking back I should have said that if you are 'subbing', after 150 hours, you go on to your personal rate.

I still stand over the subbing as unqualified - if you don't have a teaching qualification but have a TC number working in a PP school - you receive the unqualified rate.

The OP said that they cannot join a union but on second thoughts the TUI do cover the further education sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

What part was incorrect? I was the only who responded. I'm interested to know what was wrong for my own reference.

Looking back I should have said that if you are 'subbing', after 150 hours, you go on to your personal rate.

I still stand over the subbing as unqualified - if you don't have a teaching qualification but have a TC number working in a PP school - you receive the unqualified rate.

The OP said that they cannot join a union but on second thoughts the TUI do cover the further education sector.

Nothing was wrong. The general trend towards looking for advice online is a poor approach though.

Your advice was grand given the info you had. I had written that the OP might be due a CID after three years, for example, but deleted it as I don't know the full situation.

I did say it wasn't the advice I had a problem with. Most posters here want go help others out but without full knowledge it's difficult to give proper advice.

A lot of teachers are poorly informed and there are a lot of assumptions about contracts etc. You see it here all of the time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

OP - talk to the social welfare. They should put you on the school worker scheme which allows you to halt your claim during term time. Then for Easter, Christmas and summer you just get a form signed in school and you have no waiting period for the benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

You could see if the "migrant teacher project" could offer advice. Their main focus is on helping immigrant teachers get through the registration process and familiarizing themselves with the Irish system but they should be well familiar with foreign quals and ways of getting them to meet teaching council standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pinkpeaches

All of this is very valuable information from you guys and its very much appreciated. Thanks so much! I've been forwarded to the SIPTU now from the TUI and will try to get the ball rolling. Ill keep you updated!

Nothing was wrong. The general trend towards looking for advice online is a poor approach though.

Your advice was grand given the info you had. I had written that the OP might be due a CID after three years, for example, but deleted it as I don't know the full situation.

I did say it wasn't the advice I had a problem with. Most posters here want go help others out but without full knowledge it's difficult to give proper advice.

A lot of teachers are poorly informed and there are a lot of assumptions about contracts etc. You see it here all of the time.

What is the point of Boards so? I have received and given plenty of advice on this site and have found it a source of information. I'm sure that the OP is aware we can't given full advice but they are not a member of the union - where do they go? There may be people here who have gone through the same situation and could offer support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

They should join the union.

They should join the union.

Yes definitely - I'm an active member of my branch and always encourage NQTs/non-members to join. It is a safety blanket for when things go wrong. TUI should have accepted the OP - maybe the OP could clarify why they didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Make sure you sign on for every holiday and summer as can have implications for your pension down the line

I've found out this week, that another staff member (no teaching qualifications at all, so even less than me) has been privately employed by our school and will be compensated discreetly for the holiday pay. I'm absolutely shocked about this and disappointed at the same time. What should I do with this information now? Speak to management?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

They can do what they want with regards to privately employed staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

Theres nothing you can do but get the correct qualifications for the position of post primary teacher.
    With an SEN qualification you can work in montessori teaching or as an SNA, from what im aware childcare centers and montessori schools are crying out for qualified teachers and assistants, the moneys not as good but the jobs offer security and are related to your degree qualification, also as your registered under FE, you can apply to teach childcare in adult education, Ive seen a few posts advertised looking for childcare adult ed tutors, the last one ive seen was for the progressive college in Dublin, they were looking for childcare tutors around the country.

Thanks for that Emily!
    Well obviously they are doing what they want... unfortunately SligoBrewer.

Advertisement