Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wired alarm systems recommendations

Options
  • 15-09-2019 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello,

I've just bought a new house which is already wired for an alarm system.

Are there any recommendations of systems to put on the top?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

I think it's gotten very quiet in here these days. I suspect the regulars are tired of always saying to for a hkc or Siemens panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Flameaks

peteb2 wrote: »
    I think it's gotten very quiet in here these days. I suspect the regulars are tired of always saying to for a hkc or Siemens panel.

Thanks.

I've been looking but I've found either 1. People want to sell me a system with monitoring which is an additional cost per month or 2. I can't work out if it is compatible with the built in wired system within the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Again, brief reading of the forum would suggest that the sticky at the top of this forum gives a list of some independent installers.

Any wired system should be compatible with the wiring if its modern build. Anyone should be to give you a price without monitoring unless you are looking at wireless systems from:
    1) Home Secure
    2) Phone Watch
    3) Action 24

amongst others. There would be more but they are the ones that spring to mind as I've been looking lately.

I can see why the independent guys don't recommend the tied wireless systems. But much as they are independent they also have a vested interested in knocking the wireless systems. If the industry was predominantly proprietory systems then they wouldnt work to service them. And they dont have access to the spare parts etc.

I do get they say that most these wireless own panel systems seem to focus on monitoring once the person is in as opposed to preventing access as the perimeter stage.

But if you get an independent alarm and no monitoring and the alarm goes off when they break a window and the intruder feels its worth his while he's still going in! If you have one with monitoring at least someone is going out to try see if he's there.

I also get the advantages of the independent alarm and not being tied in. But its usually about 1200 - 1500 to get it in. Where as these wireless "utility type" providers will charge an installation fee of 100 or 200 and then effectively give you the equipment on a 3 year hired purchase basis. So with 30 quid a month you end up paying about €1,100 anyway. And you get the monitoring too! So its not dead money. The big issue is whether after the 3 years and you want to move elsewhere when you own the system anyone else can manage to service is it. Or whether you are tied in forever. And to be honest if you like the monitoring and service you are probably happy to stay otherwise you go after 12 months and have them take their equipment out.

Again all things I'm trying to mull over myself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Flameaks

Thanks Pete.

I'm getting a cctv set up with notifications also.
    I was recommended the HKC GSM-WiFi product, for notifications at 5euro a month.

It's mainly about trying to find value for money. There is a high demand for this at the moment and installers know that.

Advertisement