Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running issues specific to women

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

muddypaws wrote: »
    Over the head ones or fastening ones?

Fastening ones are yer only man... the ones with two straps at the back, one at the usual place, one higher up. Come to think of it, I put mine on over my head and fasten it :o

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Okay, well, mentoring and the fact that you should really be practicing your pre-DCM breakfast before long runs aside (:p), to clarify, I think it's okay to do easy runs fasted, but workouts and races not so much. The reasoning is to do with a negative impact on hormone levels.

*ahem*
    *cough cough*
    :o
    I have had some practise brekkies, but often just haven't an appetite for breakfast for the early(ish) morning LSRs. I should probably eat less the night before maybe :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

DBB wrote: »
    *ahem*
    *cough cough*
    :o
    I have had some practise brekkies, but often just haven't an appetite for breakfast for the early(ish) morning LSRs. I should probably eat less the night before maybe :o

I found it hard to eat in the morning before heading out at first but I think my body has gotten used to it now
    I have toast and peanut butter with half a banana or bacon and egg on toast with some coffee and what I have been doing lately is having a zero tab with caffeine in it and a few jellies before I start running long run and tried it on Saturday for the Frank Duffy and worked a treat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

eabha19 wrote: »
    For anyone who gets shock absorber run bras I just bought one on amazon - price came up as 28 pound but when I went to buy price came up as 14 euro. Will let ye know if it's the real deal when in arrives on Tuesday.

Sounds great - got a link? There are a million sellers of Shock Absorbers on Amazon!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

quaalude wrote: »
    Sounds great - got a link? There are a million sellers of Shock Absorbers on Amazon!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XHQNGSW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also I got the wrong size and asked them to refund it. They have processed the refund and said I don't need to return it so if anyone is a 32 C I have a pink shock absorber bra to anyone who wants it. I order the 34 C and got it for 14 euro also. The smaller one looks perfect, just to tight on my back rolls!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rxchxy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XHQNGSW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also I got the wrong size and asked them to refund it. They have processed the refund and said I don't need to return it so if anyone is a 32 C I have a pink shock absorber bra to anyone who wants it. I order the 34 C and got it for 14 euro also. The smaller one looks perfect, just to tight on my back rolls!

Nice one, got 2 for myself there for 14 EUR each, cheers eabha19!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

quaalude wrote: »
    Nice one, got 2 for myself there for 14 EUR each, cheers eabha19!

:( different sizes are different prices, and I can't find one in my size for less than £30 :(

Great value in some sizes though - thanks!

HelenAnne wrote: »
    :( different sizes are different prices, and I can't find one in my size for less than £30 :(

Great value in some sizes though - thanks!

Did you try ordering it. My size looked like it was 28 pound but when I clicked to buy it gave me an automatic saving that reduced it to 14 euro.

More common sizes seem to be available in different colours, but the price doesn't seem to include VAT, which is snuck in at the end. Anyway, I ordered 2 pink ones yesterday for €35 total incl p+p... not bad at all!
    Thanks eabha :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭py

Interesting chat with Renee McGregor which goes into training/racing advice around menstruation and what signs to look out for. Interview starts at around 35:20 and goes into a variety of topics for males and females but the female specific stuff might be useful for those in this thread. https://open.spotify.com/episode/5uFPVhJnBMxfnmlH6cdNKS?si=J6siZxecShyx3wTQbEnWCg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Thank you so much for the recommendation on the shock absorber bras. Took it on it’s inaugural run this morning, 17.5km and no chaffing.

Now granted it was a lot cooler than the FD10mile last week so that helped but bra was great.

And an added bonus - my boobs were back where they used to be pre breastfeeding - it was nice to see them again ;0)

Thank you so much for the recommendation on the shock absorber bras. Took it on it’s inaugural run this morning, 17.5km and no chaffing.

Now granted it was a lot cooler than the FD10mile last week so that helped but bra was great.

And an added bonus - my boobs were back where they used to be pre breastfeeding - it was nice to see them again ;0)

Fantastic news RDB, on all fronts (pardon the pun :D)!
    I ordered two bargain lovely pink ones on Eabha17's Amazon find, they arrived on Friday. Delighted with them at such a low price :)

I ordered two bargain lovely pink ones on Eabha17's Amazon find, they arrived on Friday. Delighted with them at such a low price :)

Just ordered one as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I got my shock absorber bra in the post on Friday! I was comparing it to another one I bought in elverys for 5 times the price and the only difference I can see is the Amazon one doesn't have hi viz piping. I never understood why anyone would need hi viz piping on a bra, as if I'd go out running at night with only a bra on!
    Thanks for the link.

I wore mine yesterday for long run - no chafing, no cuts on my sternum. Have two more (same colour) winging their way to me via amazon. I wouldn't have known about shock absorbers without this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I wore mine yesterday for long run - no chafing, no cuts on my sternum. Have two more (same colour) winging their way to me via amazon. I wouldn't have known about shock absorbers without this thread!

I've a pink one for months and they wash so much better than the white ones, too. It's really kept its colour well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

I've recently been diagnosed with endometriosis, and was advised to avoid high impact exercise such as running or any kind of jumping as it can exacerbate pelvic/lower back pain.

Running is my main form of exercise and I was just recently getting into a good routine with long distances.

Is there a way to make running lower impact? Maybe on treadmills or grass? Or reduced distances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

GRACKEA wrote: »
    I've recently been diagnosed with endometriosis, and was advised to avoid high impact exercise such as running or any kind of jumping as it can exacerbate pelvic/lower back pain.

Running is my main form of exercise and I was just recently getting into a good routine with long distances.

Is there a way to make running lower impact? Maybe on treadmills or grass? Or reduced distances?

I’d suggest getting assessed by a sports Physio or else by a women’s health Physio - I’d say if they can help you train your core / pelvic floor and make sure you’re engaging them while running then running shouldn’t exacerbate back or pelvic pain. Between you, you could probably work out how long and hard you could run before causing problems?

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Morning .

Anybody find asthma symptoms are worse at certain times of the month. ?

So I didn’t get to run the half today due to injury but that’s another days story! Someone recommended EVB shorts - my injuries are down to a very weak core - does anyone find them useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

So I didn’t get to run the half today due to injury but that’s another days story! Someone recommended EVB shorts - my injuries are down to a very weak core - does anyone find them useful?

Don’t use them myself - but have some friends that do - they swear by them

I have a pair and usually wear them when I'm racing. They're comfy (once you manage to squeeze into them!) and do give some support but I'm not sure if they're compensate for a weak core. They wouldn't do any harm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭julyjane

they do provide good support but something like Pilates would do more for your core

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Hi ladies, any recommendations on where to buy running leggings for long legs. I need 32" and my usual haunts only sell 29".
    Heading into winter training and I need to be warm and toasty. Thanks sisters x

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hi ladies, any recommendations on where to buy running leggings for long legs. I need 32" and my usual haunts only sell 29".
    Heading into winter training and I need to be warm and toasty. Thanks sisters x

Sturdy By Design do a long leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Sturdy By Design do a long leg.

Thanks! I'll check them out.

Sweaty Betty is doing a 50% off sale at the moment. It's still dear enough at half price but its really good quality and most of their leggings have pockets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

chickey2 wrote: »
    Sweaty Betty is doing a 50% off sale at the moment. It's still dear enough at half price but its really good quality and most of their leggings have pockets!

Thanks for the tip off. I ordered a pair of leggings as love those side pockets.

Advertisement