Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off topic: chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

pinkypinky wrote: »
    So I contacted a DNA match for my Dad's cousin yesterday - there's a shared surname in his list and I gave a bit of info about my people with that name. He replied with the same. But swiftly followed a second email saying he'd googled me, knew I was a genealogist and said it would have been better if I'd been upfront about it and my motives! :confused:

I suppose he thinks I'm somehow profiting from his info?
    I’ve had similar experiences to you and Hermy (following post to above) ; it’s not infrequent. I long ago realised that some of those who write bitchy responses are sad people who spend too much time on their own and as a result can be over-protective of what they perceive as ‘their’ family. I would respond to that rather obnoxious person stating that yes, I am a professional, that the shared information is about my own family, it’s about research that I have done myself, not for a client and provided to him/her to further common understanding. They might 'climb down'.

But I can understand some people being wary of professionals– I’ve been ‘done’ by a professional and many many years later it still rankles. Years of work presented to him on a plate on the promise of his sharing results and then dead silence, a total void and eventually a plaintive ‘the client would not let me share’, an excuse that is about as factual as unicorns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Only this evening I have come across a hint on Ancestry which connects my tree to another. I've viewed the tree and they have quite a lot of my family all right but oh my lord they've made such an awful mess of it. The wrong parents, the wrong children, the wrong spouses, duplicates of people, its all over the place! Having read your comments I'm wary of contacting the owner. I might just leave them in their ignorance but the problem is that they have taken some of the information from my other relatives who have their trees public. Mine has always been private.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

I think it depends on how you approach it. I came across a person when some matches to my Tree. To be fair they had put the description of "work in progress" in their profile.

She had children born within 7/8 months of each other on two continents. I messaged her that Irish mammies were great but they weren't super women. She took it with good humour and removed the incorrect children.

I mention it in my profile to point out any errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 paumurp

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Only this evening I have come across a hint on Ancestry which connects my tree to another. I've viewed the tree and they have quite a lot of my family all right but oh my lord they've made such an awful mess of it. The wrong parents, the wrong children, the wrong spouses, duplicates of people, its all over the place! Having read your comments I'm wary of contacting the owner. I might just leave them in their ignorance but the problem is that they have taken some of the information from my other relatives who have their trees public. Mine has always been private.

In a sort of similar situation. A family my mother's great aunt married into, but they have people appearing in records in Ireland and the US at more or less the same time. There is the potential they were back and forward across the Atlantic, but unlikely.

There is another which has all the same people, but they have attributed a WW1 death to the wrong person. Name is right, but my own research has shown it to be the wrong person. They've also linked to the wrong family in the census. Very similar family names and close to years of birth but wrong people.

I had drafted an introduction, but pointing out the errors, but then bottled out of sending it. Not sure it would be welcome news.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I’ve had similar experiences to you and Hermy (following post to above) ; it’s not infrequent. I long ago realised that some of those who write bitchy responses are sad people who spend too much time on their own and as a result can be over-protective of what they perceive as ‘their’ family. I would respond to that rather obnoxious person stating that yes, I am a professional, that the shared information is about my own family, it’s about research that I have done myself, not for a client and provided to him/her to further common understanding. They might 'climb down'.

But I can understand some people being wary of professionals– I’ve been ‘done’ by a professional and many many years later it still rankles. Years of work presented to him on a plate on the promise of his sharing results and then dead silence, a total void and eventually a plaintive ‘the client would not let me share’, an excuse that is about as factual as unicorns.

I did reply to that effect not long after I read the initial but there has been silence. His loss!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Anyone else having trouble logging into Ancestry??
    I was automatically logged out both on my PC and phone and am unable to log back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

Anyone else having trouble logging into Ancestry??
    I was automatically logged out both on my PC and phone and am unable to log back in.

Yes. Similar experience today

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Anyone else having problems updating credit card details on Ancestry? Dropdown is not showing Irish counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,405 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I don't have a paid subscription, so I have no reference for that shar01. :o I shall have to leave it up to others to reply.

Does there seem to be a pattern (or repetition) of illnesses or causes of death of your ancestors? Just wonder whether our genetic health is more predominantly linked through the maternal or paternal line.

I don't think you can apply the patterns of death or prevalent illnesses in your family to modern times. Even 50 years ago, people could die of tiny little things that no one dies of now (in Ireland). Even if there's a genetic predisposition to, say, breast cancer, or heart disease, we have screening for these things now, and better awareness.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I don't think you can apply the patterns of death or prevalent illnesses in your family to modern times. Even 50 years ago, people could die of tiny little things that no one dies of now (in Ireland). Even if there's a genetic predisposition to, say, breast cancer, or heart disease, we have screening for these things now, and better awareness.

makes sense... thanks for the reply pinkypinky :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Does there seem to be a pattern (or repetition) to the causes of death of your ancestors? It makes me question whether our health is potentially pre-destined by the genetics on the maternal or paternal line ?... It's not looking good on my mam's side of things, if maternal is the dominant genetic health line. [/COLOR][/I]

I think that an important question revolves around the accuracy of diagnosis of medical conditions in the past. What's written on certs may not be correct.

Vetch wrote: »
    I think that an important question revolves around the accuracy of diagnosis of medical conditions in the past. What's written on certs may not be correct.

(certs are :o all I have to go by) but their potential for inaccuracies or diagnoses is good to learn, thanks Vetch! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Terminology also changes. Even in the last thirty or forty years, countless diagnoses are labelled differently.
    Over a hundred years ago, many causes of death are totally different to what people assume.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The only repeat cause in my tree would be TB (usually down as phthisis) but that was rampant in Ireland at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Yes indeed, then was then, this is now. I've come across records of people at 70 years of age dying of 'old age'. They really didn't know what they died of. I'm nearly that age now!! I'm glad this is now.

I come across alot of senility listed on old death certificates, this is distressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Deja Boo wrote: »
    I come across alot of senility listed on old death certificates, this is distressing.

This may just mean old age. It doesn't necessarily mean some type of dementia if that happens to be the meaning you're taking out of it.

This may just mean old age. It doesn't necessarily mean some type of dementia if that happens to be the meaning you're taking out of it.

Oh :) good to learn! :o dementia was my concern indeed (in every instance), thank you Vetch!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Barney224

does anyone else find that captcha check and sign in really annoying on civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie ? What's the purpose of it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Yes, it's a nuisance at the best of times.

But when I'm logged into my Gmail account I don't get asked to solve them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

You've mentioned that before Hermy but it doesn't happen for me and I'm always logged into my gmail.

It is a PITA.

Genealogy Forum Mod

The captcha things always come up, whether I am logged into my google account or not.

You've mentioned that before Hermy but it doesn't happen for me and I'm always logged into my gmail.

It is a PITA.

Always happens to me also, even when signed in to Google. It might be tied to specific browsers? For the captcha I need only tick, I don't get images. I also put 'a' and 'a' in the next screen, boxes for the Section 61 compliance. Enforcing this two step procedure is silly when it can be circumvented falsely. It is a stupid requirement, but the site is free and it is easier & faster than a slog into Werburgh St.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

The purpose of the captcha is presumably to repel web-crawlers. There might be an argument as to why people might be misled if the results appeared on google or were put on a subscription service. However, a more definite reason is that a web-crawler might monopolise the server on which the database operates and produce unacceptably long waits for real users.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...For the captcha I need only tick, I don't get images...

That's what I get too when signed in. I still have to tick the box on the webpage the Captcha appears but the Captcha itself doesn't appear.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I get the American images.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I get the American images.

And American terminology.

Earnest wrote: »
    The purpose of the captcha is presumably to repel web-crawlers. There might be an argument as to why people might be misled if the results appeared on google or were put on a subscription service. However, a more definite reason is that a web-crawler might monopolise the server on which the database operates and produce unacceptably long waits for real users.

I cannot see any coherent argument on why 'they' have that design. With an efficient algorithm and a bit of machine learning any web crawler would easily overcome the captcha on the Irishgeno site; if anyone wanted the data a simple hack would get it for them.(Look for e.g. what the Israelis are doing to Google/Facebook and cloud storage! - and add to that the Russians and the Chinese). Also, common sense would suggest that the Section 61 compliance box should not need to be repeated for continuous searches.

The simple fact is the Irishgenealogy site has a crap design because the Irish Civil Service has an absolutely deplorable record with managing IT. Just look at the shambles of voting machines, the HSE 'systems', the flawed Garda PULSE system, the isolated Companies Registration Office, Financial Regulation sites, etc. Most Govt. Departmental systems cannot even communicate with each other. If they cannot manage their own internal communications how can they be expected to be customer focused?

It is sickening to hear politicos waffle on the importance of information and communication technology (ICT), about Ireland Inc. being a leader in ICT economies, particularly when most of what has been designed by them is not not fit for purpose, is not integrated and is not machine readable. And users, like me, can do nothing about it because if you open your mouth and complain there will be retribution.

Rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

How did I miss the partial upload of the Sunday World to the BNA - in January! Been waiting for it for years; would have preferred if it started at the other end of the print run; they just have 87-06 with some gaps currently but hopefully there's more coming

When looking for stories of a certain "colour" this was the obvious hole in the set of national papers available. The Evening Press will be useful when it turns up (its on the INA promised list) but I think death notices were already printed in the Irish Press anyway.

And as an aside, who on earth would ever pay for the BNAs £19.95 40 page offer? I could do 40 pages in five minutes if the search engine is up to it; and its £12.95 a month on a one month contract!

Advertisement