Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SUSI tuition fees for final year PhD

• 31-05-2016 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am going into fourth year of a structured PhD and have been in receipt of the special rate of SUSI tuition fees for the first three years of my course. The university no longer offers PhDs in my subject to be conducted in the old way, which usually took three years due to the absence of compulsory modules. Now SUSI are telling me that because they funded my one-year masters degree (a separate stand alone course in a different subject in a different school), they will not fund my fourth year tuition fees for my PhD. Obviously I would never have started the four year programme if I thought I would not be allowed to finish it- there is no way I can afford the €4,500 of the final year. My appeal has just been rejected. I cannot help but think SUSI have not updated their policy of four years maximum tuition funding to account for the fact that the structure of the PhD has now changed. Of course I would have opted for a shorter version if I could have, but I was not permitted by my college to do this. Also, entry onto this PhD was only permitted with a masters degree. I just think I've been allowed to waste three years very hard work and now have to drop out because they have an outdated policy. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 phdstewdent

NUI Galway adopt a very poor approach to their PhD students in general. There is no support when you have funding issues like you are having. I hope you managed to get it resolved. Or at least moved to a proper university that supports its students. Unless you are part of the 'inner circle' in NUIG you might as well just go elsewhere. Probably increase your job prospects too as this is such a joke of a university. You pay the money, you'll get your degree. Simple.

Advertisement