Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Susi grant for Master's

• 15-09-2018 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm awaiting SUSI's decision on my application for a grant for a full time masters in DIT as a mature independent.

The fees for the year are 5k and the registration is 3k. Am I right in assuming they won't cover all of this? I got offered the place yesterday with classes due to start on Monday. All very rushed and it's €300 to accept which doesn't seem like much in the grand scheme of things but I don't want to pay it then lose it if SUSI doesn't offer me anything.

I applied for the Master's as a late applicant not really thinking I'd get it, my work hours were cut and I noticed that the classes were on the days that I wasn't working. Anyway I'm completely broke so it was never a realistic possibility for me but work encouraged me to go for it.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Hi,

I'm awaiting SUSI's decision on my application for a grant for a full time masters in DIT as a mature independent.

The fees for the year are 5k and the registration is 3k. Am I right in assuming they won't cover all of this? I got offered the place yesterday with classes due to start on Monday. All very rushed and it's €300 to accept which doesn't seem like much in the grand scheme of things but I don't want to pay it then lose it if SUSI doesn't offer me anything.

I applied for the Master's as a late applicant not really thinking I'd get it, my work hours were cut and I noticed that the classes were on the days that I wasn't working. Anyway I'm completely broke so it was never a realistic possibility for me but work encouraged me to go for it.

Go to a credit union take out a loan and go for it buddy, it will pay off in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭jimmymack

SUSI will cover €2000 if you're eligible unless you're in Special Rate territory (<€23,500 income in 2017 and an eligible SW payment), in which case you'd get €6,270 worth of fees covered and a maintenance grant. The threshold for qualifying for a Master's grant is €31,500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Peter Denham

jimmymack wrote: »
    SUSI will cover €2000 if you're eligible unless you're in Special Rate territory (<€23,500 income in 2017 and an eligible SW payment), in which case you'd get €6,270 worth of fees covered and a maintenance grant. The threshold for qualifying for a Master's grant is €31,500.

My income was €21,000. I had claimed Jobseeker's for the last 10 years but in 2017 I switched to casual dockets as I got part time work for 8 months. I still technically had Jobseekers but they said I would have to be fully unemployed to qualify for the Special Rate. I should have turned down the job! Gutted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Take it and keep your PT job going, your onto a winner if you can finish it out. Looks better on the CV as well the longer you hold a job down for.
    On the basis you are truly interested in the course, congratulations.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Take it and keep your PT job going, your onto a winner if you can finish it out. Looks better on the CV as well the longer you hold a job down for.
    On the basis you are truly interested in the course, congratulations.

I would love to do it, I don't have a bachelors or even a leaving cert. I got accepted on "life experience." But the two years would total €16,000, I just can't do it without the Special Rate and to get a loan of that size would be too much, I probably wouldn't even get it plus I'm already paying massive rent and insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Hoboo

From personal experience going back as a mature (degree and masters) a masters is a serious amount of work, its a different level to a degree. Personally Id advise getting a diploma/degree and see how you go. Masters nearly killed me, literally. I did full-time too so working on projects with non professionals who love coppers on a Thursday was a f***ing nightmare. I was first in the library at 8 and last out at 10 mon-fri. Got there but not without pain. Degree was tough but once you got the swing of study methods and project work it was ok. Masters, different level.

Just my tuppence.

Whatever you decide best of luck.

Hoboo wrote: »
    From personal experience going back as a mature (degree and masters) a masters is a serious amount of work, its a different level to a degree. Personally Id advise getting a diploma/degree and see how you go. Masters nearly killed me, literally. I did full-time too so working on projects with non professionals who love coppers on a Thursday was a f***ing nightmare. I was first in the library at 8 and last out at 10 mon-fri. Got there but not without pain. Degree was tough but once you got the swing of study methods and project work it was ok. Masters, different level.

Just my tuppence.

Whatever you decide best of luck.

Yeah I expect it to be tough, I suppose the time frame was what was most appealing. I want to get the paper and get more money and more hours in work or even a better job. Two years would have been great, I don't know if I have the will to a 4 year degree. Diploma could be an option.

Absolutely. 2 year diploma. Wont break the bank, it'll get you into study mode, and you'll get through it. Can always hop straight to masters then.

Look, everyones different, you may walk a masters no problem. And the fact you've been accepted......that speaks volumes (Im taking it you had an interview)

Might just have to throw the €300 at it and give it a whirl.......for the sake of €300? Go for it. Great opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Hi,

If you were eligible for the special rate for your undergrad you'll get the special rate for the masters. That will cover the 5000 and give you 658 a month from september to May.

If you were eligible for the special rate for your undergrad you'll get the special rate for the masters. That will cover the 5000 and give you 658 a month from september to May.

Correct, but OP hasn't done an undergrad or leaving cert......unheard of from my experience (HRM) going straight to masters.....never seen that.

• Advertisement

Correct, but OP hasn't done an undergrad or leaving cert......unheard of from my experience (HRM) going straight to masters.....never seen that.

Depends on the course maybe? I know of some professionally based postgraduate courses that allow experience in the field in place of an undergraduate. They're rare though and would be a massive leap for someone with no previous experience of third level academics.

Depends on the course maybe? I know of some professionally based postgraduate courses that allow experience in the field in place of an undergraduate. They're rare though and would be a massive leap for someone with no previous experience of third level academics.
    I did actually do a year of a higher cert a long time ago which they took into consideration. But the course is very practical and I had to show certain skill sets in an audition/interview. I was very surprised to get it, but they did outline in the interview that they accept certain applicants based on potential etc.

I've paid the 300 and have been attending classes. But I'll start incurring fines for late registration soon.

What's annoying is I spoke to a Susi rep before taking the place and he said he couldn't see a reason why I wouldn't get the special rate. So I naively started planning my life based on the assumption I'd get the special rate. I was sure I was approved for the grant then it all started unraveling.

Fair play and congrats on getting accepted. From your details I'd be very surprised if you weren't entitled to the special rate, in which case as said before your fees will be paid in full, you might have to pay a small admin fee with the university itself, maybe 50-100 euros, but you'll get 658 a month (backdated to september if it takes a while to get approved) and the fees paid. You could also carry on with the part time work if you fancied.

Fair play and congrats on getting accepted. From your details I'd be very surprised if you weren't entitled to the special rate, in which case as said before your fees will be paid in full, you might have to pay a small admin fee with the university itself, maybe 50-100 euros, but you'll get 658 a month (backdated to september if it takes a while to get approved) and the fees paid. You could also carry on with the part time work if you fancied.
    Thanks! Do you know if there's any leeway regarding my social welfare. I've been told by SUSI that my part time work in 2017 basically wrecked my chances of the special rate. They said I need to be fully unemployed for 391 days prior to 31st 2017 but on the website it just says in receipt of Jobseekers for 391 days. I had a claim for all of that but some weeks I only claimed for 3 or 4 days.

I don't see how it matters where your money comes from once it's below the special rate threshold?

Sorry just saw your OP was from mid September. Maybe have a chat to your course head, there are normally internal support grants for people in your position......if they can't help they may be able to keep the wolves at the door with regards to fines. From my experience they take genuine cases seriously and try to help in any way they can, they're generally pretty reasonable.

Sorry just saw your OP was from mid September. Maybe have a chat to your course head, there are normally internal support grants for people in your position......if they can't help they may be able to keep the wolves at the door with regards to fines. From my experience they take genuine cases seriously and try to help in any way they can, they're generally pretty reasonable.
    I'll get onto them. SUSI are heaping stress on me at the moment. I've had a lot of conflicting information from them, my first conversation with them had me convinced I was getting the grant then it all went south.

First I couldn't provide anything for 2017 as proof of independent residency, I just about had that sorted when they dropped the bombshell that I didn't claim enough Jobseekers to get the special rate. Seems a little unfair to effectively penalise someone for working part time, I still only earned 21k and claimed Jobseekers weekly for days I didn't work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My brother in law went straight into a MSc, no other qualifications other than a leaving cert and 25 years work experience. It is rare but not unheard of.

As for SUSI, pain in the ass doing it for my daughter, but it will, hopefully, eventually get sorted. It sounds like you do qualify.

As others have said, most colleges have student supports for genuine cases which may involve a bit of paperwork and talking to either the SU or a student adviser.

The biggest issue you will find is the level a MSc is at compared to, well, not doing anything at all. You will have plenty of sleepless nights, and don't be afraid to tell family and friends to F off over the next two years when you have work to do for it. You have to be selfish, it is the main reason for failing is that students are too nice and can't tell others no, or lock themselves away from others when they need to study or get project work done. Took me awhile to learn, I finally left the house when I had work to do for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭matchboxyouth

Hi, I was just reading over this thread as I received a letter from SUSI Monday but was surprised and disappointed to see the maintenance grant not mentioned. I was almost sure that I was eligible for not only the maintenance grant but also the special rate.

My situation is this:
    • Living 187km from the course I've been accepted onto.
    • Household reckonable income calculated at €21159.
    • Course is a progression from Level 8 BSc Hons to Level 9 Masters.
    • Since 2013 I've progressed from level 5 to 8 on BTEA and JA during the summer and no other form of income.

My only idea is that because I'm technically still on BTEA for the college year that has just finished and because I applied the first day that applications opened, I was not awarded maintenance grant for September because you can't have BTEA and maintenance grant at the same time. Would you know what could be wrong at all?

Advertisement