Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Requirements for cyber security job?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,008 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Worztron wrote: »
    All day social interaction is hell for an introvert like me. I find it exhausting.

As an introvert who's worked in the IT industry for 30+ years, I know how it works. No-one mentioned 'all day social interaction'. There are many roles, including security, where most of the work is between you and your keyboard.

But yet, communication with others will be an essential part of the job, even if it only takes up a fairly small amount of time. It can be learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

If your not interested in programming, then a helpdesk is the best start.

Hi Cuddlesworth. I'd find the long duration of social interaction in a helpdesk job totally exhausting so that's out.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

So is a helpdesk job a must for getting on a path to all/most IT jobs?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

No it isn't a must. It is where most people start. It is also where you will learn skills that will stay with you for all of your career.

I will say this though - I'm in IT since 1995 and all of the best people I've met have worked service desk jobs.

There is some bloody good advice on this thread. I would implore anyone that starts in IT to start on the service desk. Yes its a grind, yes you can meet some real p**cks. But you'll learn so much. You'll be a better IT Professional for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

That job would require excellent communication skills (a people person in otherwords) and that's just not me.
    In that case, it'll be the perfect job for you; you'll get used to dealing with users.
    Yeah. You'll also meet like minded people. And get money for certs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Hi Cuddlesworth. I'd find the long duration of social interaction in a helpdesk job totally exhausting so that's out.

What social interaction? People ring up with a problem, you listen, ask questions, categorise, rule out possibility's, fix it or route the ticket to the correct team. 99% of people don't ring help-desks to talk to people, they ring to get some support for their issues. You answer the call, exchange a few basic pleasantry's depending on the mood and then get to business. And the other support teams don't want a chat, they want a ticket that was handled well with the correct relevant information coming to them.

Christ I left that level of support a long time ago and my current role is still basically that job.

If you get a standard IT helpdesk job and your good at it, your curious and willing to learn, you will be moved on quickly in the current climate in most places. If you end up in a large scale helpdesk only environment, get the experience and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

All day social interaction is hell for an introvert like me. I find it exhausting.
    Don't go into IT if you want to plan on not dealing with people.

Be a rubbishman. You'll deal with very few people each day, and no-one will want to be near you whilst you're working.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Meh, same challanges with any profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

What math are you on about? I was terrible at maths and work in IT . Has not hindered me one bit.

What do you work at in IT though?
    Roles such as development require a very logical mind for programing etc
    Generally people who are good are maths have logical minds hence for troubleshooting, writing code this is a huge advantage etc.
    If you work at a helpdesk or desktop support etc then having maths isn't so important.
    Now I don't mean genius level in matchs but someone who has passed maths leaving cert etc. You don't need algebra for fixing issues but 2+2=4 helps immensely :)

• Advertisement

As an introvert who's worked in the IT industry for 30+ years, I know how it works. No-one mentioned 'all day social interaction'. There are many roles, including security, where most of the work is between you and your keyboard.

But yet, communication with others will be an essential part of the job, even if it only takes up a fairly small amount of time. It can be learnt.

Hi Andrew. Did you start in helpdesk? That's what I mean by 'all day social interaction'.

What social interaction? People ring up with a problem, you listen, ask questions, categorise, rule out possibility's, fix it or route the ticket to the correct team. 99% of people don't ring help-desks to talk to people, they ring to get some support for their issues. You answer the call, exchange a few basic pleasantry's depending on the mood and then get to business. And the other support teams don't want a chat, they want a ticket that was handled well with the correct relevant information coming to them.

Christ I left that level of support a long time ago and my current role is still basically that job.

If you get a standard IT helpdesk job and your good at it, your curious and willing to learn, you will be moved on quickly in the current climate in most places. If you end up in a large scale helpdesk only environment, get the experience and move on.
    I reiterate, lots of dealing with people would be awful for me. I'm an introvert and not the most social of people. I don't mind talking to people for a short while and then move on to some other tasks for the rest of the day.

kippy wrote: »
    Meh, same challanges with any profession.
    Sounds flippant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Sounds flippant.

Fair enough. Ask any person in any job who needs any level of a budget to improve or maintain things and they'll all tell you they could do with more.
    And as for comlaining that the general staff/public aren't up to speer enough with phishing/general IT.....happy days. Will never be out of a job in that case.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Ok - this is getting off topic now.
    If you want to start a new thread on introverts working in IT - have at it
    If you want a thread entitled "I want to work in IT and get paid large wedges of cash without dealing with human beings" - knock yourself out

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement