Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your opinion on apprenticeships and what your apprenticeship was like?

Options
  • 10-12-2018 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

So I've been in a tattoo apprenticeship for a year, I work about 50 hours a week, I've done a couple tattoos, all for free and I clean, have receptionist duties and even do personal errands for people. Ive never been paid and my boss laughs at the idea of paying an apprentice, what is your thoughts on this? And what was your apprenticeship like if you did one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,519 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

bobbobb wrote: »
    So I've been in a tattoo apprenticeship for a year, I work about 50 hours a week, I've done a couple tattoos, all for free and I clean, have receptionist duties and even do personal errands for people. Ive never been paid and my boss laughs at the idea of paying an apprentice, what is your thoughts on this? And what was your apprenticeship like if you did one?

Iv no idea about being a tattoo apprentice but 50 hours a week and no pay sounds very rough, How do you afford to live ? How long do you have to do this for ?

Again iv no idea what a tattoo apprentice normally does ,

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bobbobb

Iv no idea about being a tattoo apprentice but 50 hours a week and no pay sounds very rough, How do you afford to live ? How long do you have to do this for ?

Again iv no idea what a tattoo apprentice normally does ,

It was mostly just work and heading home, I still live at home and had been on the dole at the time, it didn't leave much time for a social life, its been awhile since the post, I couldn't take the job anymore, the disregard the owner had for all his free employees just ground my gears, I have been looking for somewhere else but not much luck to it. There was no set amount of time I was told about, one person was there for 4 years like that and another for two years. There isnt any certification you are given, no checkpoints you reach, its a bit of a disaster if I am honest. I have no idea if this is how it goes with everywhere, my friend met someone who paid their apprentice but I've not heard much else about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,519 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It was mostly just work and heading home, I still live at home and had been on the dole at the time, it didn't leave much time for a social life, its been awhile since the post, I couldn't take the job anymore, the disregard the owner had for all his free employees just ground my gears, I have been looking for somewhere else but not much luck to it. There was no set amount of time I was told about, one person was there for 4 years like that and another for two years. There isnt any certification you are given, no checkpoints you reach, its a bit of a disaster if I am honest. I have no idea if this is how it goes with everywhere, my friend met someone who paid their apprentice but I've not heard much else about it.

I know a guy who is an apprentice but he went and done art in college and said he had to in order to find work at all ,

I have heard its tuff to get your foot In the door,

If you have your heart set on it you should drop into one of the know tattoo shops and literally ask them for any advice of what is the best road to go down to become a paid apprentice , Most of the lads iv ever come across are good guys and would steer you in the right directions,
    Always best to get advice from guys who have already walked that path .,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm pretty damn sure it's not legal to have an apprentice work 50 hours a week for no pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm pretty damn sure it's not legal to have an apprentice work 50 hours a week for no pay.

there used to a poster here who did her apprenticeship and went on and tbh she'd tell the poster to suck it up, she iirc worked nights at weekends to make a living while doing her apprenticeship for free

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »

I am fairly sure it is aswell, revenue dropped in once and everyone ran around like headless chickens, fairly sure there was a big reprimand for having non registered employees.
    They would have 4-5 apprentices at one time and no one was taught a single thing.
    We were all "hired" to do the work none of the artists wanted to do, and received a truly hilarious amount of disrespect aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Where was this?

there used to a poster here who did her apprenticeship and went on and tbh she'd tell the poster to suck it up, she iirc worked nights at weekends to make a living while doing her apprenticeship for free

I went into my apprenticeship full on, I was delighted with what I was doing and I worked damn hard every day. I did everything and anything asked of me and never took a single day off because I thought working hard would pay off.
    I worked like that for a very long time and learned nothing, anything I did learn was self taught.
    The people in the shop I was in hired people for apprenticeships just to do things they didnt want to, hiring people they knew and actually told me they thought had no chance of ever being a tattoo artist.
    Upon first going in the door I was told someone working there for 2 years had no chance. But I was determined and tried working with these disgusting people anyways.
    I also have learned of apprenticeships in other shops which are far simpler than anything like what I had to do.
    It is a very very unstructured area and I will continue to pursue it, I am not giving up as it is what I want to do, I will not give up but I will also not work with people like that.

Where was this?

I am not too sure if it would be appropriate to say, it is in dublin, though that is still a vague answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I am not too sure if it would be appropriate to say, it is in dublin, though that is still a vague answer.

You can obviously back up your claims, so it shouldn't be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

As an ex-mod, I'm pretty sure it would be a problem, as it could be seen as libelous comment, with Boards being seen to be responsible as publisher of the content.

Advertisement