Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-03-2020, 22:29   #16
ironwalk

Much respect and gratitude to all the doctors, nurses, ambulance personnel, in-hospital cleaners, admin staff, radiographers, porters, med lab scientists, etc etc.
All putting yourselves in the firing line, mentally and physically.
The vast majority of the public understands this....but you are more likely to hear from the terrified few who will shout at you.
Have you heard from your colleagues in Italy? and did the HSE start to ramp up capacity in line with the warnings that were coming from there last week?
Advertisement
16-03-2020, 22:31   #17
Boulevardier

Not sure what is going on here. I have been several times now on the "answers thread" and there is nothing there.
(2) thanks from:
16-03-2020, 22:32   #18
begbysback

Is vitamin D really any good as a prevention of the virus, niacin in particular.
16-03-2020, 22:35   #19
ixoy

Send a message via MSN to ixoy
There's talk that, if it becomes like Italy, doctors will have to make "tough decisions" as to who gets treated as well as the general stress. Are HSE staff being given any assistance with the psychological pressure they'll be under? Is there any form planned for stress relief or how exhaustion might take effect? Mental well being will be important for the staff when they have to perform critical tasks over long periods.
16-03-2020, 22:35   #20
little bess

The Uk are asking over 70’s to self isolate, would you recommend the same thing to that age group here?

I’ve heard diabetes, hypertension, copd are all extra risk factors, should these people take more care with social distancing?

Many Thanks

Last edited by little bess; 17-03-2020 at 00:59.
Advertisement
16-03-2020, 22:43   #21
Gloomtastic!
Do Not Be Afraid.....

What’s the difference between a bad dose of the flu and Covid-19?
16-03-2020, 22:44   #22
Buford T. Justice VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastwatch View Post
No question yet, but just to say a sincere Thank You to all HSE staff, frontline and support for the huge effort that has gone into the preparations for the spread of this virus, and for the ongoing effort that will be required to deal with it over the coming months. The speed of the spread of the virus has been alarming, but the response of the HSE and Dept of Health has been even faster and and very reassuring.

Many Thanks
This x 1000
16-03-2020, 22:46   #23
JP Liz V1

Will answers be here?
(2) thanks from:
16-03-2020, 22:47   #24
Beasty
Put that light out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulevardier View Post
Not sure what is going on here. I have been several times now on the "answers thread" and there is nothing there.
Not sure what you are expecting, but we all have lives to live, and in this particular case a very important job to do. The AMA subject will get to these questions at some stage, but I cannot say when. This thread was only activated less than 2 hours ago
Advertisement
16-03-2020, 22:48   #25
Beasty
Put that light out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Liz V1 View Post
Will answers be here?
No - in another thread, which is linked in the OP
(2) thanks from:
16-03-2020, 22:52   #26
patsy_mccabe

If someone gets the virus, get sick and get well again, at what point can they be confident that they have stopped shedding the virus?

Last edited by patsy_mccabe; 16-03-2020 at 23:08.
(4) thanks from:
16-03-2020, 22:57   #27
KKV

Send a message via MSN to KKV
EDIT: Sorry, for some reason a large chunk of my post didn't post. I accidentally deleted it.

To re-word it, how are you managing to get time to do a Q+A on here? Has your actual working day/week changed with the virus? Or are ye folks still working the same hours, albeit arguably with more to do during those hours? Or has the trolley crisis suddenly getting solved actually meant that your working day is easier than it was before the virus became so known?
16-03-2020, 23:00   #28
dharma200

All my Chinese students families have been wearing masks at home at all times. They take the masks off for bed. The children ( my students) do not wear masks. They have emphatically told me over and over again to wear a mask, at all times. That this is the success against the virus. I have been seeing my parents with masks on now for five weeks. At home.
I am wondering why the advice here is not to wear masks. is it that it is a false sense of security?
My chinese families do not understand why everyone here in the west is not being told to wear a mask.
Thanks,
16-03-2020, 23:01   #29
PaybackPayroll

1. Do a proportion of people who recover have permanent lung damage?

2. Is the Irish strategy to get 60% of people infected and recovered, but at a steady rate so a not to overwhelm the HSE, or is there some other strategy?

3. Roughly, how long does each phase of the illness last?

4. What is the current ICU capacity, and is this being massively ramped up?

Thank you for taking the time to do this AMA, and also for all of your efforts in tackling this horror.
(3) thanks from:
16-03-2020, 23:02   #30
KKV

Send a message via MSN to KKV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
No - in another thread, which is linked in the OP

Whats the reason for that out of curiousity? Are all AMAs following that approach from here on? (just seems a tad strange? I presume it's to make the answers easier for people to read?)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion