Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-03-2020, 08:06   #166
rn

There's a fine balance that our politicians have to achieve between not invoking complete panic in the population, but yet take the right measures.

What do you think of the German proposal for groups more than 2 to be banned?

My parents are elderly and my wife is in early pregnancy (10 weeks) . I'm really hoping we don't catch it for a while because at the moment I'm the sole "go for" in our family, doing shopping and bigger jobs. My parents live 5 mins away, but if I catch it my wife and child will get it and that would keep us out of action for weeks at least and that's if one of us doesn't get it in a serious way. We should be OK that way as we're 40 and no under lying conditions (apart from pregnancy) but it seems to be randomly flooring people in our age group in Italy, so it's concerning.

BTW thank you and best of luck over the next 2-6 months.
Advertisement
23-03-2020, 08:06   #167
begbysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwengwe View Post
There's a medium point (happy medium seems an inappropriate phrase to use) is what I'm saying... I was someone who was already really conscious of social distancing to the point of anxiety. After reading the Answers thread for this I feel like I just want to go to bed for 12 months, or check out altogether. It's too much, he's going on about disinfecting shopping for 6 hours. He's going to lose people who are fighting his corner.
I think some of his more extreme points could really do with a bit more perspective and a bit of challenging. We're not going to get through these dark times by fostering despair.
I agree, the tone from the very outset has been condescending, the forecast of death rate exaggerated with no specific reasoning, the request that the public are failing to take directions and need to do more, basically asking the public to get tested and if your positive then stay home and hope it doesn’t get too bad, and if it does get bad then all we can do is put you on a ventilator, if we have one which is unlikely given that they are in short supply.

I apologize that I am a bit irate, but unless some of the answers start including some hope then I don’t see any point of continuing the AMA
23-03-2020, 08:07   #168
Yester

I've been hearing a bit about "viral load" which seems to mean the longer you are exposed to the virus the more infected/sicker you are likely to get. Do you think there is any truth to this?
23-03-2020, 08:58   #169
swirley

Thank you for taking the time to answer all the questions.

Is it known how long the virus can live on different surfaces? we have been getting groceries delivered and I have been trying to wipe them down with Dettol wipes in case it's on them - my husband says I am being over cautious.
Do you think it is a good idea?
23-03-2020, 11:19   #170
WhiteLight20

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirley View Post
Thank you for taking the time to answer all the questions.

Is it known how long the virus can live on different surfaces? we have been getting groceries delivered and I have been trying to wipe them down with Dettol wipes in case it's on them - my husband says I am being over cautious.
Do you think it is a good idea?
Not at all. I am doing the same thing. It’s time consuming but it’s worth it. Supermarkets are the places people are going so it’s definitely in there!!! I’ve also been leaving my post. In a few weeks we’ll be wishing we did more.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
24-03-2020, 06:00   #171
up for anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by up for anything View Post
Do you have any idea what ages the four people were who have died from Covid19? All I can find are vague references to elderly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym121 View Post
Sure, but I said that I wouldn't reveal privileged information which I come across through the day job. I am answering questions using publicly available information, official websites, publications and extrapolations.
Ah sorry, I didn't realise it was privileged information although that's a bit disingenuous because I suppose I did on some level based on the fact that the actual ages are not released. Why is it privileged? Surely knowing what ages they were would not violate patient confidentiality?

Thank you for answering all the questions. It is reassuring to have somewhere to come and get some clarification from the coal face so to speak. I had another question but can't for the life of me remember what it was now.
24-03-2020, 06:52   #172
Wanderer78

I just want to say thank you, thank you for putting your life in danger every time you go to work, we need our health professionals more than ever now, going to work must be a truly terrifying experience for you now. Thank you and best of luck
24-03-2020, 06:57   #173
joeguevara

Thank you and to all medics (and everyone else involved) for the work that you are doing.

I think politicians should not have a platform like we are seeing. It is clear that medics and scientists have issues with what is being said to the public. That frightens me.

https://time.com/5808283/infectious-...p-coronavirus/
24-03-2020, 08:31   #174
Yester

Thank you for all your answers so far. Could I get your opinion on this? Recently we have met 2 separate people that believe it is perfectly safe to be within 2 meters of us as long as it is for less than 15 minutes. One even thought they were going to be invited in for a quick cup of tea. That wasn't going to happen as we are being very careful. They seem to be getting the 15 minute idea from articles like this

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0323/11...s-coronavirus/

The relevant bit says "Generally, you need to be 15 minutes or more in the vicinity of an infected person, within 1-2 metres, to be considered at-risk or a close contact."

It seems like dangerous advice to be giving and makes it harder to get people to stay away when they are getting the impression that less than 15 mins is fine.

What do you think of this?
Advertisement
24-03-2020, 14:01   #175
up for anything

I'm really sorry. You took me up incorrectly. I meant I was being somewhat disingenous... NOT you. Apologies for my shite syntax.

Can't get the quotes to work properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by up for anything

Ah sorry, I didn't realise it was privileged information although that's a bit disingenuous because I suppose I did on some level based on the fact that the actual ages are not released. Why is it privileged? Surely knowing what ages they were would not violate patient confidentiality?

Thank you for answering all the questions. It is reassuring to have somewhere to come and get some clarification from the coal face so to speak. I had another question but can't for the life of me remember what it was now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym121 View Post
That's not how I meant privileged information. At the beginning of the thread I said I wouldn't divulge information which I came across through the day job. I know that information from the day job and so I won't answer that question.

Once that information comes out through other means then I would be able to address it. I resent you saying that my response was disingenuous. Doctors may make incorrect assessments and diagnoses but we don't lie to people/patients. A doctor who lies isn't fit to practice. You may not like where I draw the line, that is your right. But to say I'm being disingenuous is entirely uncalled for.
Thanks from:
24-03-2020, 14:25   #176
Pseudonym121

Ah my turn to apologise then. I read it differently. Sorry for the reaction but being dishonest is a red button issue for doctors. Anyways, back to regular programming.
Thanks from:
24-03-2020, 16:43   #177
RiseAbove4

Thanks for asking my previous question

I was wondering;

If you’re living with someone in their mid 60s and you get it or have strong symptoms of it, what do you do if you share a kitchen with them?

Is going to a budget hotel for 3 weeks a bit much Going to the kitchen would be fairly essential for all

Or maybe order tskeaways and clean down door latch after?

Thanks
24-03-2020, 19:17   #178
locohobo

Hi again....Just reading you're reply on UV sterilization on home items. As you said the cost of them has gone through the roof and then if can be got...
Am wondering here if a home made option could be put together..
I have one of these..https://www.nisbets.ie/electric-fly-killers
Would it be of enough UV intensity to be effective..
Just put it in a light proof box for 20/30 nmins along with items to be sterilized...
What you reckon??
24-03-2020, 22:39   #179
fishy_fishy

You mentioned that a lot of support will be needed for medical and emergency services staff in time to come, and that it will be afterwards that it hits (badly paraphrasing, sorry, but I think that is something that the public will be 100% behind in the aftermath of this).

Are there any formal techniques that are taught to medical staff for dealing with crises? It's one thing to be busy and sort of just keep going and not stop, but presumably staff all go home and have time alone and need some sort of coping mechanism then, even with the crisis ongoing.

The whole crisis has caused a knot of anxiety to develop in my throat so can't imagine how tough it must be for medical staff at the moment.
25-03-2020, 08:49   #180
volchitsa

Hi and thanks for making yourself available to answer questions in such detail.

Like many others, including our government, I've been worried by the Neil Ferguson/Imperial College model of death rates, but there is another more upbeat model, mentioned in the Financial Times (sorry, it's behind a paywall, here's another: https://theweek.com/speedreads/90458...irus-immunity)

This is an Oxford University study by Prof Gupta IIRC, and they believe that the virus had been circulating for a month or more in the UK before it was identified there, and that many people are already infected and have been fine.

That should mean that the more optimistic herd immunity approach could be the right one, although they do call for far more widespread testing, like SK is doing. But basically, is it wishful thinking to say 50% could already be better?

I'm dubious, going by what I hear from Italy (won't count China as I know nothing of their health service) but do you have any technical detail of why the Neil Ferguson model seems to have been adopted without reserve? Does the Oxford study have some massive flaws we should know of?

Last edited by volchitsa; 25-03-2020 at 08:53.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion