Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Administrative Officer 2020 in the Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ddpas

floorpie wrote: »
    Again, from my perspective it's really well organised. I get that it's frustrating having to wait, but each stage seems to take place rapidly, and we're not waiting long between stages. The interview process for a single role in places like Google can take 6-9 months. My public sector organisation is similar. I entered many CS competitions at the same time so I see them all ticking along nicely together, so I'm quite impressed with the speed and scale of hiring here.

The only limiting factor seems to be the rate at which departments require new AOs, and PAS can't control that. Spend your intervening time finding HEO roles to apply for :)

Yeah I do agree and I am also glad that theres someone here backing them up haha Im sure they are doing their best with the limited information they probably have on assignments etc.. just a little email response here and there would go a long way and just goes without saying in most other places

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

ddpas wrote: »
    Yeah I do agree and I am also glad that theres someone here backing them up haha Im sure they are doing their best with the limited information they probably have on assignments etc.. just a little email response here and there would go a long way and just goes without saying in most other places

I'm just so curious to know where I could be placed, even if it weren't to be for months :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DerastiS

For those interested in the AO (ICT) Stream,

The Department of Social Protection have opened a New Campaign for Administrative Officer (AO) - Information and Communications Technology

Again for those that might be interested in this is looks like interviews are kicking off towards the end of the month/beginning of March. Seems like pretty slow movement but I'm not very familiar with public sector recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cornel08biz

I have just gotten an answer from Pas saying that there are 43 people ahead of me on the general stream panel . I'm 41 in batch 1.2
    .... It means that there are only 2 people left in batch 1.1. It looks like it is moving very fast.. Does anyone have more information?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Cossie44

I have just gotten an answer from Pas saying that there are 43 people ahead of me on the general stream panel . I'm 41 in batch 1.2
    .... It means that there are only 2 people left in batch 1.1. It looks like it is moving very fast.. Does anyone have more information?
    Thanks

I'm 28th on 1.2 so I'll let you know when I get the call, also currently in the cs so I'm not sure whether I would have to go through clearance again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Balaine

Is there any update as to what oom they are up to in the Business and Finance stream?
    It appears to be moving very slowly. There seems to be much more happening on the General stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ohstan

Anyone else in the health stream? I should be starting in the DoH the end of March!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭belgowho

For those on the General panel and those who contacted PAS, what email are you using to get info on where they are on panel? I haven't emailed yet and happy to try on Monday to see where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭FenFlynn

Not sure if it's clearancemailbox@publicjobs.ie
    I emailed that one to request to stay in current department

FenFlynn wrote: »
    Not sure if it's clearancemailbox@publicjobs.ie
    I emailed that one to request to stay in current department

I was thinking of emailing my dept HR to see about staying. My thinking is not much can be done but worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 nmcg67

If you don't ask the answer is always no. I was supposed to join the Guards as an EO but asked the AP in Housing if I could just take the vacancy in the unit I was already in and I did :).

belgowho wrote: »
    I was thinking of emailing my dept HR to see about staying. My thinking is not much can be done but worth a shot.

I was told differently, apparently we are PAS`s customer, so they do take note of your preferences when placing. you should email them as well as asking the head of your division. I've done both, fingers crossed I'll be staying at least in my own department if not my own division.

I was told differently, apparently we are PAS`s customer, so they do take note of your preferences when placing. you should email them as well as asking the head of your division. I've done both, fingers crossed I'll be staying at least in my own department if not my own division.

Did you do this when you began clearance? Ive already told my boss I want to stay and the AP knows aswell.

Did you do this when you began clearance? Ive already told my boss I want to stay and the AP knows aswell.

I haven't been reached yet, I'm early teens in batch 1.2, hopefully it'll be soon.
    I was just putting the request out before clearance and see what happens.

Anyone know what happens to holiday days unused from year 1 of service when you start a new AO role?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Anyone know what happens to holiday days unused from year 1 of service when you start a new AO role?

You have to have used your statutory minimum number of days prior to 31st March of the preceding year, you can carry the balance- subject to not carrying any leave at the end of the 3 year leave cycle (i.e. running it down to zero) or if you do not use it in full by the end of the 3 year leave cycle, you loose it.

Leave is also used in a hierarchy- where carried leave gets used first and has a limited timespan in which to be used, but it is counted towards you taking your statutory minimum amount of leave (aka you could bank a few days, for 2 years running to take longer paid leave in year 3- subject to certain limits, typically, you cannot carry a total of more than 50% of your allocated leave in the preceding year).

If you change grade at a midpoint in the leave year, entitling you to additional AL, you are given the AL immediately, on a pro-rata basis, aka, you'll receive a portion at the higher grade up to the 31st March, and then the following leave year you'll receive the full quota.

Peoplepoint have some magic formulas for working it all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 2020Survivor

If you work in a Department/Office that has transferred theIr annual leave function to PeoplePoint, you should contact them, if not, contact your own Department’s/Office’s HR Dept would be my advice. However, the amount of leave you have or get could be determined by the leave year end date, if it’s different, in a new Department or Office if you end up moving and not being kept by your current Department/Office.

I was contacted for confirmation to proceed to to next stage which is going to be clearance.
    They are moving fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aero123

I was contacted for confirmation to proceed to to next stage which is going to be clearance.
    They are moving fast.

May I ask which stream you are?

Aero123 wrote: »
    May I ask which stream you are?

General

• Advertisement

Certainly moving a lot faster than I thought they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Balaine

According to PAS on Monday they had reached and called up to 9th places on the Business and Finance stream.

Balaine wrote: »
    According to PAS on Monday they had reached and called up to 9th places on the Business and Finance stream.

That panel hasn’t moved so in about 2 weeks. But at least the General stream seems to be moving swiftly.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Jambori

Anyone have an idea where they're up to on the Health Stream panel for batch 1.2? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Balaine wrote: »

So they're still only on OOM 9 of batch 1.1 if I understand right ...patience is definitely a good quality for this process.

AngryLips wrote: »
    So they're still only on OOM 9 of batch 1.1 if I understand right ...patience is definitely a good quality for this process.

I’m not sure what the batch numbering is for the Business & Finance stream, but I was in the group interviews in December and was placed on the panel and my position hasn’t been reached yet, so if that’s Batch 1.1 then your understanding is correct, they haven’t exhausted the first Business & Finance panel yet.

Patience is definitely something you need, not just for the recruitment campaign, but in general for a career in the civil service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Aine1986

They are moving fast.

Can I ask what batch you in for the general stream and roughly what number? I am in the 20s for 1.2

Aine1986 wrote: »
    Can I ask what batch you in for the general stream and roughly what number? I am in the 20s for 1.2

Early teens for batch 1.2 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eganr29

I was contacted for clearance 4 weeks ago for health stream, does anyone have any idea how long it might take to be contacted about a position?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Do you only find out if clearance/refs are good when a department eventually contacts you, or do PAS let you know that you're cleared and that they're handing you on to HR in a dept?

Advertisement