Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

Anyone have a source for up to date pay scales for this position?
    Is there much scope for promotions once you have landed the job?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Kamu

Gus Ivey wrote: »
    Anyone have a source for up to date pay scales for this position?
    Is there much scope for promotions once you have landed the job?
    Thanks

Executive officer (PPC)
    30,278 – 32,036 – 33,028 – 34,965 – 36,702 – 38,380 – 40,053 – 41,691 – 43,346 – 44,954 – 46,614 – 47,712 – LSI 1 49,274 – LSI 2 50,834

That's the pay scales. 16 Years (I think) to reach that LSI 2)

Realistically, best way to be promoted would be through Open Competition like this one. You'll have to be an EO for 2 years before you can apply for any Interdepartmental or internal promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Hi all! What county would be the second largest intake of staff next to Dublin for this competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭doc22

job seeker wrote: »
    Hi all! What county would be the second largest intake of staff next to Dublin for this competition?

Cork and Limerick at a guess

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

It is an absolute disgrace starting a new competition when a panel that has barely been touched was only put together last year.

What a waste of people’s time and money. Complete shambles.

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »
    It is an absolute disgrace starting a new competition when a panel that has barely been touched was only put together last year.

What a waste of people’s time and money. Complete shambles.

The regional panels suffered because the Dublin EO panel was up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

doc22 wrote: »
    The regional panels suffered because the Dublin EO panel was up

So it seems but it should have no bearing.

People went to a lot of effort to place highly on last years panel. Since covid placements have been almost non existent.

Shows how little they give a crap about candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭EO2019

They have on the website that this upcoming panel will be until the end of June 2022. They won’t be drawing from the panel until November. So back to a 2 year panel. There is no doubt that the 2019 panel for regional candidates was cut short to move back in line with Dublin.

Test wise looks like personality questionnaire to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

doc22 wrote: »
    Cork and Limerick at a guess

Thanks! The way I see it is, I might apply to them regions as I usually have a high enough result..

EO2019 wrote: »
    They have on the website that this upcoming panel will be until the end of June 2022. They won’t be drawing from the panel until November. So back to a 2 year panel. There is no doubt that the 2019 panel for regional candidates was cut short to move back in line with Dublin.

Test wise looks like personality questionnaire to start with.

were is this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭EO2019

On pas website

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Carlow20

Bit off topic but anyone know why annual leave is so crap compared with HSE staff of similar grade?

Are there perks to working in civil service compared to public service?

I've only worked in HSE so just trying to compare

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Executive Officer 2020 in the Civil Service

Executive Officers are engaged in critical analysis of proposals and reports and in examining the more complex, non-routine cases on which decisions are required. Executive Officers are involved in a wide range of roles and activities, including: researching and drafting proposals relating to policy issues and legislation; acting as junior managers in Government Departments; responsibilities for managing operations and, after some experience, large numbers of people and other resources; dealing directly with the public in support of services provided to them by the Civil Service. Executive Officers are employed in all Government Departments/Offices covering a wide range of functional responsibilities. The Executive Officer grade is the entry level to junior management in the Civil Service.

Closing Date: 3pm on Thursday 6th August 2020

Public jobs page: https://publicjobs.ie/en/index.php?option=com_jobsearch&view=jobdetails&Itemid=263&cid=122285&campaignId=20148704

Information Booklet: https://www.publicjobs.ie/restapi/campaignAdverts/122285/booklet

Executive Officer Competencies: https://www.publicjobs.ie/documents/Executive_Officer_Competencies.pdf

Please note; As an Employer of Choice and under the Programme for Government the Civil Service
    is exploring the opportunities for employees to work remotely.
    - Interesting note on pg. 2
    On the application form you may select a maximum of two location choices, listed...

You should only select locations where you would be prepared to work if offered an appointment. The
    onus is on applicants to select their correct regions. Once you have submitted your location
    choice(s), changes will not be permitted. No exceptions will be made.

PLEASE NOTE: If you are invited to attend stage 3 (Interview) for one of your regional locations and you attend, you will no longer be considered for any other position in your other regional location choice.
    - Interesting note on pg. 4

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Chaos Black

Public service HSE is different terms to Civil Service. Also many civil servants under normal circumstances at EO grade get flexitime. Note though that is a perk and not a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

What would you typically be doing on a day to day basis as an EO?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Chaos Black

Completely dependent on where you end up, Civil Service is a large organisation with a diverse range of roles even within the grades.

As a general rule of thumb EO is a junior supervisory position so will act as a go between the middle grades and clerical officers. Likely a lot of admin/procedural work with an element of having some clerical officers reporting to you who do similar work.

Overall I'd say a good grade to learn the civil service ropes and gain a valuable mix of experience as you are in the trenches with the troops.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gestappo

I can't log into the public jobs site - anyone else have issues?

• Advertisement

Will the application process be similar to the 2018 process anyone know?

I understand that interviews will be by VC but with regard to the aptitude testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cmac8

I am aware for the interdepartmental, that many people applied in the last panel that were already currently EOs hoping to fast track a move down the country.....does anyone knows do they move across then at current salary or go back to step 1 on the EO salary if they are successful in this approach?

cmac8 wrote: »
    I am aware for the interdepartmental, that many people applied in the last panel that were already currently EOs hoping to fast track a move down the country.....does anyone knows do they move across then at current salary or go back to step 1 on the EO salary if they are successful in this approach?

you'd move across at your current scale

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Gillouise

gestappo wrote: »
    I can't log into the public jobs site - anyone else have issues?

Worked fine for me!

2020 Application done, here we go again!

Gillouise wrote: »
    Worked fine for me!

2020 Application done, here we go again!

I'm stuck in work and nothing will open, typical :rolleyes:

- Interesting note on pg. 2

- Interesting note on pg. 4

I imagine part 4 is to stop what happened in the last campaigns, people holding out for offers in their first choice counties

I'm stuck in work and nothing will open, typical :rolleyes:

I've been having trouble opening pdf files from publicjobs but when I open downloads they're always saved there

• Registered Users Posts: 35 keanocar

you'd move across at your current scale

Can you apply to this if currently an EO and hoping for a chance to get a change of department?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Kamu

keanocar wrote: »
    Can you apply to this if currently an EO and hoping for a chance to get a change of department?

Yes.

• Advertisement

Gillouise wrote: »
    I imagine part 4 is to stop what happened in the last campaigns, people holding out for offers in their first choice counties

Yes also, for CO 2020 they said changed the model, after the OOM is put together they only call to interview as vacancies arise so if they call you for your second county there is a job there for you. You have to decide before going tobinterview if you are willing to take an offer in that county.

Advertisement