Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

bassy wrote: »
    never met jenks and only found out he done a pub yrs ago where my brother lives i was gutted,i was told he done it for 500 euros and drank pints for fun.a lovely man i bet and no probs with a photo or autograph.

seen john lowe few yrs back in hes red audi car and i spotted him as soon as he seen me looking at him and copping who he was he drove off.

Jenkins was class he was payed to play a certain amount of legs till 11pm he stayed on till 2 or 3 , gave us all advice on our throw and that, class act. I adored John Lowe growing then met him, arrogant prik worse than Taylor.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    yeah the same thing happened to Wes Newton

on that what's the story with the BDO ?? will there be a worlds championship

Your right, wasn't long ago Wez Newton, Andy Hamilton and Thornton were in premier league.

BDO no longer exists. Literally. Hopefully the WDF can get something similar going. Standard obviously wasn't as good as the PDC recently but I always enjoyed lakside more than ally pally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

i,d say bristow be another knob to meet in person,i know the man has long passed and might not be right to talk about him in such vein.but i would say hes just like wade.

but then again ive seen videos of eric rolling uo a fag in a pub and having banter so a world away from wade.................................

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Seen a lot of players at Exhibitions and the best was Klaasen as he checked out 164 with no flights on his darts.. unreal to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

US2 wrote: »
    Your right, wasn't long ago Wez Newton, Andy Hamilton and Thornton were in premier league.

BDO no longer exists. Literally. Hopefully the WDF can get something similar going. Standard obviously wasn't as good as the PDC recently but I always enjoyed lakside more than ally pally.

if you say BDO 3 times in the mirror justin will appear

• Advertisement

Seen a lot of players at Exhibitions and the best was Klaasen as he checked out 164 with no flights on his darts.. unreal to watch

Don't forget mardle blowing them from he's big gob :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

One thing i've learned from Covid is that being a Pro Darts player is a pretty hard job. All the glitch and glamour of the big tournaments is fine but then there's getting there and all the non so popular tournaments like the 'players championship' and to an extent some of the European championships that have to be played. Add in all the practice,travel and bad influences (tbh that goes for a lot of pro sports)

Exciitbitions are only for a few $$$ for a few of the mid/lower card players and mean very little for the career unless you're retired from the sport

mvg is about 8 grand for a exhibition,hardly a few quid for 2 hours fun in a pub eating grub few drinks and banter and laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

mvg is about 8 grand for a exhibition,hardly a few quid for 2 hours fun in a pub eating grub few drinks and banter and laughs.

edited it there now and meant to say 'only a worth a few quid for the mid/lower card players'

RVB got his **** a bit with Covid and how he wasn't going to make much of the retirement $$ and is planning on a return to the circuit

PTH2009 wrote: »
    edited it there now and meant to say 'only a worth a few quid for the mid/lower card players'

RVB got his **** a bit with Covid and how he wasn't going to make much of the retirement $$ and is planning on a return to the circuit

snakey missed the boat this year as well after winning the worlds,he has missed out on a lot of money regarding exhibitions appearances etc

• Advertisement

Alot of travel involved but the amount of tournaments and prize money hasn't really changed. I wouldn't feel too sorry for them .

I think this thing of week long pro tours is actually better hope it stays this way

Alot of travel involved but the amount of tournaments and prize money hasn't really changed. I wouldn't feel too sorry for them .

great lifestyle though and the get to see and travel the world and if your half decent you will make a comfortable living from it.
    beats a 8-5 job on a bloody building site and your boss bawling at u on a wet monday morning.....................................................

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think this thing of week long pro tours is actually better hope it stays this way

I agree, I think it's great. The only problem is that a lot of the lower ranked players still have full time jobs so they would need to take time off.

Gurney set to fall out of the top 10 unless he wins the PC Finals.

Gurney set to fall out of the top 10 unless he wins the PC Finals.

That's no surprise,doubt he be in premier league

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Yeah I've always liked Ritchie met him at a few exhibitions he's a gentleman.
    i,d say bristow be another knob to meet in person,i know the man has long passed and might not be right to talk about him in such vein.but i would say hes just like wade.

but then again ive seen videos of eric rolling uo a fag in a pub and having banter so a world away from wade.................................

I was working the front door at The Tivoli in Buckley, around 2005, big queue outside and who was in it but Richie Burnett, he had been doing an exhibition in the next town, was utterly mangled. Signed him in for free and ended up booting him out 20mins later for pissing on the dance floor :pac::pac::pac:

Played Bristow some years back in a doubles match, my partner was Deller. Bristow was sound as fcuk, exactly how you'd perceive him, loud and cocky.

Worst i ever met was Ted Hankey, he used to live in Shotton, North Wales and every Saturday lunch time he'd come to the crosville club and play the guys, this was maybe a year before he won the world title. He'd charge ya 3quid to play him 1001 and he was unreal, if ya beat him e'd give ya 50quid, some of our guys were very very good county players and he was leaving them all on 4/500. One day a mate called Paul had the game of his life and beat him, Ted asked if he fancied double or quits, which Paul declined, he walked out an nevr returned.

Most of us won quite a few quid when he won the Embassy as we all lumped on him at 40/1

scudzilla wrote: »
    I was working the front door at The Tivoli in Buckley, around 2005, big queue outside and who was in it but Richie Burnett, he had been doing an exhibition in the next town, was utterly mangled. Signed him in for free and ended up booting him out 20mins later for pissing on the dance floor :pac::pac::pac:

Played Bristow some years back in a doubles match, my partner was Deller. Bristow was sound as fcuk, exactly how you'd perceive him, loud and cocky.

Worst i ever met was Ted Hankey, he used to live in Shotton, North Wales and every Saturday lunch time he'd come to the crosville club and play the guys, this was maybe a year before he won the world title. He'd charge ya 3quid to play him 1001 and he was unreal, if ya beat him e'd give ya 50quid, some of our guys were very very good county players and he was leaving them all on 4/500. One day a mate called Paul had the game of his life and beat him, Ted asked if he fancied double or quits, which Paul declined, he walked out an nevr returned.

Most of us won quite a few quid when he won the Embassy as we all lumped on him at 40/1

pissed on the dance floor WTF

NEVER EVER LIKED WANKEY TED HANKEY,to afraid to mix it in the pdc.he knew he would be way out of he,s depth there.but just used excuse,s..................................................

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

pissed on the dance floor WTF

NEVER EVER LIKED WANKEY TED HANKEY,to afraid to mix it in the pdc.he knew he would be way out of he,s depth there.but just used excuse,s..................................................

like i said, he was utterly twisted

scudzilla wrote: »
    like i said, he was utterly twisted

ah still jesus like.
    then again be more than drink there,i believe a good amatuer boxer in hes day.
    wonder how he got the facial scars ?.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 6 PatchMcGinty

Is les battersby still at the darts?

Eric bristow, same thing

Is les battersby still at the darts?

Eric bristow, same thing

i,d say you would wanna head over to the soaps thread COME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Reports McKinstry was handed an eight year ban for match fixing. Career looks over

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Reports McKinstry was handed an eight year ban for match fixing. Career looks over

Yep. 3 year ban for each matched fixed plus 2 year ban for refusing to provide his itemized phone bill. Delighted for him.
    Pity they didn't do the same when Gary Anderson admitted to it in a premier league game few years ago

Match fixing is the worst crime in any sport in my opinion

andos was not match fixing,he just deliberately lost because of the brutal carry on of the scots fans towards aidy lewis,throwing coins at lewis several times during the game along with some very strong abuse.

andos was not match fixing,he just deliberately lost because of the brutal carry on of the scots fans towards aidy lewis,throwing coins at lewis several times during the game along with some very strong abuse.

Deliberately losing a game is fixing the result of a game = Match fixing. He mightn't of had a bet but makes no difference. Look at Mickey mansell, fined for "not playing to the best of his ability"

Deliberately losing a game is fixing the result of a game = Match fixing. He mightn't of had a bet but makes no difference. Look at Mickey mansell, fined for "not playing to the best of his ability"

ando is a big gun,guys you mention have no future or ever have in darts.there just there to make up numbers etc etc darts would not lose sleep with out them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

That was utterly ridiculous. I don't know if Mansell ever appealed that decision but I hope he did.

As for McKinstry, I think he should have received a lifetime ban as he denied the charge.

Barry Hearn hinting at a couple of wildcard picks for the World Championship for people with no tour card. Fairly sickening for people on the tour grinding all year. I assume if it happens it will be Barney and or Sherrock

• Advertisement

Full interview here. I haven't watched it yet

https://twitter.com/BarryHearn/status/1332372151521972225?s=19

Advertisement