Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How's your work email inbox looking ?

• 23-11-2020 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Since Covid, between internal MS Teams calls, internal emails/requests and clients (customers) emails/requests, calls and meetings it's just all gone bonkers!

(**I'm thankful to have a job and be busy BTW)

It's like my day whilst WFH is spent communicating non stop rather than doing core work (actually doing stuff )

How do you handle this?
    It's like constant interruptions
    Any tips
    What works for you?
    Did you experience the same?
    Any advice that works for you?
    Do you have focus time?
    Are you constable getting calls/messages/ chats etc

It's like the messages/chats are constantly pinging. , going off non stop, constant quick messages here and there , random incoming calls which impact any focus or tasks I'm doing etc too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

We’ve been told to cut the number of meetings by a third and the time in half which is having a huge impact.

Other than that I just try not to get distracted by emails, I set aside time to read and respond to emails and other than that time I ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Give yourself certain times to go through emails. I do it first thing in the morning, then straight after each break (coffee and lunch breaks) and a final look at 4pm to finish up the day. If anybody needs an urgent answer, they'll ring you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

239 unread...and growing..

Ridiculous amount of cc'ing goes on where I work...

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

I’ve noticed this too. Decided today that I’m only giving time to what I’m actually supposed to be working on, ignored everything else. Got a lot done today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

I get an email nearly every morning warning my inbox is nearly full. I’m sick of deleting and trying to free up space

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

you should run your day from your calendar, not from emails. that helps put structure around your day and not spend time jumping to other people's requests. stick in a slot every 2 hours to check emails, and categorise them urgent and important, urgent not important, important not urgent and neuther urgent nor important, then see if you can delegate or reassign anything and if not, schedule time in for each category. you can run your work or your work can run you, personally i pick the first option. finally, make sure to block time off in your calendar every day to make sure you're not in back to back meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I just never get to read emails

534032.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

You can set up filters and actions easily

For example "mark as read where I am cc'd but not the To:" this cuts down hugely on the cc round robins

Group by conversation is another good one.

One primary thing to remember is email is just that , mail. There is no onus on you to read it immediately. Turn off the notifications for new email. Deal with email when YOU want to. If the matter was urgent and important , it should not have been in an email, someone will ring you to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I respond to all emails within 24 hours.
    If it's complex i phone instead.
    I don't usually respond to followup emails straight away.
    If it's not my area of responsibility i say so.
    If it's not a routine task and there's no SLA my response would be "im on annual leave next week and busy the week after, would you like to schedule in some time the following week"..
    Btw all my customers are internal. Obv different dynamic with external customers.

Oh yea, and if someone cc' s my manager they go to the bottom of the list if i reply at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭dennyk

What you can realistically do depends on your job duties and your employer's expectations. If you are expected to be available and respond immediately to communications as part of your normal job duties (e.g. you're in a support role of some sort and expected to be available when people reach out to you for help), then it's going to be harder to push back.

If such immediate responses aren't part of your normal job duties, then there are some things you can try:

- Turn off notifications for your emails, or configure your email client to only notify you on particularly important emails, e.g. with certain subject lines or from certain senders, if necessary.

- Schedule a few specific periods of time during your day for reading and responding to emails, and stick to that schedule religiously. Don't do any "quick checks" during the rest of the day; leave it all for your scheduled email time.

- If volume of email is a problem, try to trim it down. Remove yourself from any mailing lists or groups you don't need to be in. Set up email filters to automatically sort unimportant emails with certain subjects, senders, etc. into other folders so they don't clutter up your main inbox (and so you can mark them as read or delete them en masse easily).

- If emails are always unmanageable after returning from leave, then set up your autoresponder message to advise senders that you are out of the office and that they should either contact someone else or email you again after you return. Then when you get back, just delete everything in your inbox that came in during your leave. If it was important, someone will send it again.

- Block off a good stretch or two of time each day in your calendar as "Busy" and decline any meeting requests for those time periods. Mark yourself as "Away" during those times so that you don't receive IMs or calls; set up a polite away message or voicemail greeting advising that you are currently unavailable and will get back to the person as soon as you are free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’ve gotten a year high of 11 emails this week, 8 of those was a bunch of people back slapping over an award that was won.

In my last job I got 7-800 a week.

I like this job.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

_Brian wrote: »
    I’ve gotten a year high of 11 emails this week, 8 of those was a bunch of people back slapping over an award that was won.

In my last job I got 7-800 a week.

I like this job.

Public service?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

hurikane wrote: »
    Public service?

No
    Private company actually

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I currently have 19k unread emails. Some of them are over 10 years old.

The sad thing is I read over 100 a day and reply to about 50 of them. The first 3-4 hours of every day are purely for reading and replying to emails. It's ****ing ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I had to set up a few rules as I got put on a shared email to get access to a few things through our Active Directory, but it resulted in about 8000 mails a day coming in. Took about 3 days of testing and tweaking to get it to the point where I have less than 100 in the morning when I log in. But I'm still CC'd on so many random ones that of those 100, I might only need to review maybe 10 in depth, the rest I can usually tell by sender/subject that I don't need to worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Ridiculous amount of emails/ teams /skype going
    On since WFH,
    Instead of sticking the head over to a desk

Hitting about 100 mails a day

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My last job the problem was the company adding the mailing list for my team to every and other departments mailing list going, it was a fetish of the idiot supervisor...to the point that about 40-50% of the emails which we received had no bearing, relevance or interest to us or the work we did.... you’d come in on a Monday with about 180 new emails over the weekend , of which 80 plus approximately had no relevance or interest.

Youd spend about the first 45 minutes on a Monday morning just sorting through emails , deleting stuff, replying if time and basically managing emails...

We asked that the supervisor quit adding us but “ no I can’t do that, the guys feel that including you means they are part of your team, and you theirs”...

The same fûcking dope is having a heart attack if you fall behind on a report, is have a seizure if you accidentally delete or don’t see an email because you have 1349 extra and 100% unnecessary emails and issues and jobs that don’t concern you....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Ridiculous amount of emails/ teams /skype going
    On since WFH,
    Instead of sticking the head over to a desk

Hitting about 100 mails a day

Plenty of managed in multi-nationals would kill to have so few.

In one of my current jobs, when I'm "on duty" I'm responsible for answering and triaging service requests, which are delivered by email, within the hour. Get about 200-300 emails per day (includes followups, not all new issues). Some are auto-alerts but they want human eyes cast on them before filing so I cannot just use rules. The company has no appetite to move to a better system, it's not a problem they want to solve at the moment. So it keeps me employed. There are far worse jobs around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

wally1990 wrote: »
    Since Covid, between internal MS Teams calls, internal emails/requests and clients (customers) emails/requests, calls and meetings it's just all gone bonkers!

It's like my day whilst WFH is spent communicating non stop rather than doing core work (actually doing stuff )

How do you handle this?
    Any tips
    What works for you?
    Do you have focus time?

It's like the messages/chats are constantly pinging. , going off non stop, constant quick messages here and there , random incoming calls which impact any focus or tasks I'm doing etc too

Just ignore all but the important ones. At the very least be very slow at replying. or really short answers. Eventually they will get the message. I have my status to always busy. Anyone who needs to get me knows this and will ignore it, or drop a chat to see if I'm free. Those that do those long rambling phone calls, I don't answer. I send them an email to say I can't take the call and email. Most are too lazy and just go to someone else.

To people zone out, I put on the headphones and crank the music. Helps me focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Email usage should be declining as people get used to using Collaboration tools (e.g. Teams, Slack, JIRA etc).

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I set up a folder for ones I'm only on the CC, that never gets read. If i am needed then someone sends it to me again with me on the TO list.

I have a filter set so that emails I am the only one on the TO line it shows up as blue in my inbox. I know that has to be responded to.

I have disabled email notifications as no email is so important it needs to be responded to straight away. If it was that important they would call.

I work on 2 different projects and set the days i work on each. The emails are sorted into those folders on arrival and i only look at that folder on days assigned to that project.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭subpar

Work related emails outside of normal working hours is Electronic Terrorism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Email usage should be declining as people get used to using Collaboration tools (e.g. Teams, Slack, JIRA etc).

Email chat should be reduced. Email is still in my opinion a superior medium for more formal communications. People shouldn't use email for chat.

We use teams a lot, and can hook it into PowerApps, SharePoint etc. But as in interface its too basic for a lot of formal communications.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You should only use email when necessary... too many people and managers are guilty of this a... L O T Just think and email, think and email, think and email...ok it’s convenient and safe to have a paper trail but...

An example... “gents, I walked into the canteen at 14.10 and this is what I found., ( pic with half eaten food, drinks bottles and wrapping and newspaper left on the table ) is anybody willing to own up to leaving the place in such a mess, in contravention of wellness , hygiene and cleanliness policy ? “. Our canteen was used by 3 people, there was only 3 people out of 11 scheduled on lunch at 13.00-14.00... go fûckin talk to THEM !

When I and others finish break, we dump and wipe, leaving the area clean, clear and ready for the next persons to relax and enjoy the food in cleanliness and comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ya, but the other side is that for each tool, you have an extra "inbox" equivalent.

On the plus side, one of mine has just decided to do away with voicemail. If you call you get thru or you don't. If you want to leave a message, send an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

There's 3 in mine as of yesterday evening. All read.

I get plenty emails every day. The key is to be organised and don't let it dictate you.

I have one essential report that I must review every morning and take certain actions. It takes 30 minutes max. I don't check email until I have dealt with it.

When checking emails, I delete them if not needed. File them if necessary. If not for me or need to be dealt with somebody else, then I forward them accordingly and copy the sender. Take myself out of the loop.

Any that need a reply or action will be dealt with immediately if it's a short response that won't take much time (i.e. less than 2 minutes). If not, will leave in inbox and put a flag on them according to urgency. If I can't get back to somebody in a reasonable timeframe or a response will take longer than anticipated, then I let the sender know.

Once I have checked emails, I close Outlook and don't open until next checking time (maybe 2 / 3 hours later).

On the flipside, if I need a response and don't get it, I ring the person. If they don't respond to that, I will generally proceed without their input (not always possible).

I see two people doing the same job with the same number of customers - but with vastly different inboxes. Person #1 is overflowing with hundreds unread and is always under pressure, misses deadlines, slow to reply. Person #2 has a practically empty inbox and is very reliable. All comes down to how they manage it.

PS - when sending emails, always put a relevant title / description in the subject field - makes retrieval so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Since WFH I get an average of 200 emails a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

wally1990 wrote: »

How do you handle this?
    Any tips
    What works for you?
    Do you have focus time?

It doesn't bother me seen as Ive been out of a job since march.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

The only emails I get is stay safe, and let us know if you've everything you need.

Or if some tools I've ordered arrived, I was waiting on two silky saw's there for 3 week's and an electric Stihl chainsaw with two rechargeable batteries.

It was me who was emailing the store's, I'd say they were glad that order arrived.
    Never leave a woodsman waiting for his tools,
    I love my job, I'm in the woods, have a heated timber shed and workshop a stove WiFi for the laptop and it's just what I've always wanted since I watched grizzly Adams in the 80's

My friends in high end IT job's are off their rockers at home....it must be tough.

Has anyone considered leaving the office and getting outdoors, one friend of mine is considering doing a horticulture course, she's had enough of the pressure of the office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Work from Home made my life a lot easier, it put and end to people dropping down to my desk or ringing me and it forced us to put a proper external ticket system in place so the amount of emails we recieve has dropped off a cliff, for the rest of the company the use of Teams for chat has really dropped email usage too.

E-mail is now mostly used for all staff annoucements and the type of micromanagers who have to CC half a dozen people whenever they send an email, all of whom hate working from home because they can't wander around ambushing people at their desk.

Advertisement