Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Instant access to 5000 newspapers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Trevord

branners69 wrote: »
    For the app I use my Dublin City library card number, just have to use a cap D and not a small d for it to be accepted.

Have you tried to create a temp library card selecting a Dublin City library, you should be able to login to the app that way. Until your library resolves whatever issue it is having!

I don’t need to do that because it works with my own library card. Much of the discussion on the thread in recent months was about the app not working for some people with library cards from particular counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Trying this today for the first time. Went to http://library.pressdisplay.com/ and put in 800 followed by my six-digit Mayo Library Card number, but guessing it can be any number. This worked fine on desktop using Firefox.

But I've installed the Pressreader app on my phone and can't get that to work. When I click sign-in there, one of the options is library. I chose Wicklow, then entered a nine-digit number starting with 800, but is also asked for a pin. What do you put in that field?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Try the last four digits of the number you used.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Try the last four digits of the number you used.
    Didn't work. Using Wicklow library, then 800123456, pin 3456. I got "invalid patron barcode or password"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭bromley52

leck wrote: »
    Didn't work. Using Wicklow library, then 800123456, pin 3456. I got "invalid patron barcode or password"

In the barcode just use 08 and any 7 numbers. No need to select liibrary

• Advertisement

bromley52 wrote: »
    In the barcode just use 08 and any 7 numbers. No need to select library
    I can't get to the barcode in the app without first selecting a library.

This is what I see on mobile app [three images attached].

On first screen, I choose library icon
    Next screen I'm forced to choose a library or I don't see field to input number
    Final screen I enter nine digit number 08xxxxxxx
    It won't let me past this without entering a pin, I tried the last four digits used for card number. But it doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Trying this today for the first time. Went to http://library.pressdisplay.com/ and put in 800 followed by my six-digit Mayo Library Card number, but guessing it can be any number. This worked fine on desktop using Firefox.

Should work the same on mobile browser without having to use the app (layout will be slightly different to desktop)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I got the app working. I think there are some libraries that don't use the pin number, e.g. Wexford Library.
    Just enter the 9 digit code starting with 08 and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

Trevord wrote: »
    This seems to be working again. Used Wicklow library in the drop-down with a card from Galway library.

This worked for me.The card from Cork library. Got 30 days. Will see how it goes after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

Anyone else having trouble with this in the last few days?

I had previously been using the pressreader app with a Wicklow CoCo library temporary card number I got off their website but I went to open a few papers yesterday and I couldn't open them without paying for the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

bricky06 wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble with this in the last few days?

I had previously been using the pressreader app with a Wicklow CoCo library temporary card number I got off their website but I went to open a few papers yesterday and I couldn't open them without paying for the issue.

Seems to be working okay for me at present with my Kerry Library card.

Maybe you haven’t used the card at the bricks ‘n mortar library for a while?
    You need to have your card physically scanned in your local library every twelve months or the card won’t work with any of the online services.

I imagine it’s a tactic to stop people in other countries from accessing or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭torrevieja

I can’t get this to work at all

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

duridian wrote: »

You need to have your card physically scanned in your local library every twelve months or the card won’t work with any of the online services.

I imagine it’s a tactic to stop people in other countries from accessing or something like that.

It's been working ok for me for the last few days, but tonight I got a blank page until I removed the cookie blocker. I used a dummy card number (9000000) and it opened ok for me. As for other countries, AFAIK it works abroad too (or, other countries have a similar service).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

New Home wrote: »
    It's been working ok for me for the last few days, but tonight I got a blank page until I removed the cookie blocker. I used a dummy card number (9000000) and it opened ok for me. As for other countries, AFAIK it works abroad too (or, other countries have a similar service).

I use the Pressreader app to access it. I have Adguard Pro, but I think it only affects the Safari browser so maybe that's why I haven't run into cookie problems.

Really what I was really thinking of on the overseas thing was a potential impact on personally owned library cards, where it could, for example, make emigrating and using the service long term impractical, since the card needed to be presented annually at local library.

I guess if using a dummy card number that wouldn't apply.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

duridian wrote: »

Oh! I was unaware of that. It would explain why my card doesn't seem to work any longer with these services.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

bromley52 wrote: »
    In the barcode just use 08 and any 7 numbers. No need to select liibrary

I have been using this website for years without issues and now it is not working.

I have tried multiple combinations of numbers including my valid library ID from DCC.

Anyone else having issues? What combo of numbers works for you?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭headnorth

JTMan wrote:
    Anyone else having issues? What combo of numbers works for you?

Stopped working for me last week, pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭bromley52

Press reader app still working perfectly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I just got into the website with no problem whatsoever, using a dummy card no. (9000000)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Thanks, 9000000 works. Prior number combos that were mentioned here no longer work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MunsterM

Has anyone used 9000000 on the app (android) ? I've tried it and it doesn't work - I get an error message saying "Invalid patron barcode or password".

I currently use the number on my UK library card but that card will eventually expire as I'm not using it in the UK, so I'd like to get the app working with Irish library service.

Thanks.

When you type 9000000 on the website it's not on the barcode or password boxes, so maybe that's where the problem is. Is there a "log in another way" type of option?

When you type 9000000 on the website it's not on the barcode or password boxes, so maybe that's where the problem is. Is there a "log in another way" type of option?

In the app, the sign options I see are : facebook,twitter, google, library or group or email address and password.
    If I select library and group I have to select a library from the drop-down. I select Dublin City and enter 9000000 in the library card number box and get the error I mentioned.
    I also tried selecting Wexford library, but that also gives an error - not the same error as with Dublin, just "An error has occurred, try again".
    I'm a member of Cork County library but that doesn't appear on the list in the drop-down.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

I just got into the website with no problem whatsoever, using a dummy card no. (9000000)

Whew. Nice one. 90000000 works for me too.

How did you figure out 90000000? Did someone tell you or did you just come across it after trying multiple other combinations? I tried various combinations of the 800+ six random digits that used to work but had no luck.

hgfj wrote: »
    Whew. Nice one. 90000000 works for me too.

How did you figure out 90000000? Did someone tell you or did you just come across it after trying multiple other combinations? I tried various combinations of the 800+ six random digits that used to work but had no luck.

9 is the first digit of my library card - then I added as many zeros as there are digits on my card n. :D

MunsterM wrote: »
    In the app, the sign options I see are : facebook,twitter, google, library or group or email address and password.
    If I select library and group I have to select a library from the drop-down. I select Dublin City and enter 9000000 in the library card number box and get the error I mentioned.
    I also tried selecting Wexford library, but that also gives an error - not the same error as with Dublin, just "An error has occurred, try again".
    I'm a member of Cork County library but that doesn't appear on the list in the drop-down.

The other thing I can suggest is to create a temporary email address (e.g., see this site, but there are many others), which you can keep active for the time it takes you to register on the Pressreader site, and then you can click on "forget me" and the email address will deactivate, but it should still work as a log on for Pressreader.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Rockin

Has anyone gotten this working since they moved to the new press reader platform ?

The app or the website? Or something else?

Using a different email address worked. Signed up to Wexford County library. Pressreader says the service is not available because I have too many devices on the account, but it then lets me continue to the newspapers.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Was using for last month using Wexford 8000.. number now expired have tried using 90000000 not working any suggestions

Advertisement