Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Aaahhh! What the hell is she doing with her arm!?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,496 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Aaahhh! What the hell is she doing with her arm!?

Training partner of Rousey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

McGregor with his latest rubbish on facebook, "depression is a state of mind."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Davei141 wrote: »

Isn't it?

I better tell some of my friends they better just cheer up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Gumbi wrote: »
    Isn't it?

Technically yes - just like alcoholism and paedophilia are. However, stating them as such makes it sound like they are on the same level of seriousness as boredom or excitement.

Bit of a bull**** comment from Conor to be honest. Needs to be careful speaking about such topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭paulieeye

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Davei141 wrote: »

Did he say "depression is a state of mind"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

• Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

"SOOOO true"

"Too true hun Xx"

"OMG! So true"

Ugh!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I admire Conor's mental attitude and confidence, but to say depression is a choice is deeply ignorant on his part.

Nobody chooses to be depressed or to remain so. Even to choose to seek treatment can be a huge challenge to overcome.

I don't think he's coming from any kind of bad place, but having a positive mental attitude and battling depression are two entirely different situations and it's a disappointing argument he's making when he's in the position to influence a lot of people.
    The last thing we need is a harkening back to "Depression? Nah. Keep your chin up and keep positive and it'll be grand".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

There's a lot of paraphrasing and putting words in conor's mouth in those comments in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

And in fairness to him, he did respond to those who were pointing out that it's not really a choice, and he said that different things work for different people but that that's what worked for him.

There's a lot of paraphrasing and putting words in conor's mouth in those comments in fairness.
    Depression is a state of mind. And the mind can be controlled and influenced by yourself and by those around you. As long as you and those around you keep a positive outlook on life, things will get better. I never said it is easy. But to say you cannot choose whether or not you have it, is wrong. You are accepting the fact that you are allowing it to take over your mind. Stop with the negativity.

Ok. Well my approach has secured me for life. And I am only 25. But everybodies approach is different and can work for different people. Good luck with your approach. The mind can be your worst enemy or your best friend. I CHOSE the latter.

Fancy pointing out the selective paraphrasing? Nothing wrong with promoting a positive mental attitude, but come on telling people who are in dark dark places just be positive it is their choice that they are depressed is all kinds of wrong. Some seriously archaic views exist about mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I think it's a case of him wanting to say something, but wording it badly.
    I'd say he's aiming it at people with a negative attitude rather than someone with clinical depression.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    I think it's a case of him wanting to say something, but wording it badly.
    I'd say he's aiming it at people with a negative attitude rather than someone with clinical depression.

That is fair enough, but he could have clarified it easily enough but went further down the wrong path. It is a sensitive topic for lots of people, if you are going to partake choose your words carefully. You only need to see the comments on the status in question from other people abusing the guy who was talking about clinical depression to see those archaic views exist in abundance.

For the record promoting positivity is a great thing IMO, but choose the words carefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Well as conor said himself he doesnt know much about anything apart from fighting. Next he can say people in wheelchairs can walk just like him if they decide

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Does every little thing he says need to be analysed?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,015 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

seiphil wrote: »
    Does every little thing he says need to be analysed?

This.

It's even more ridiculous when you look at the fact he didn't originally bring up depression specifically. He's initial post was;
    You choose what you see through your eyes. Choose positivity.
    1926140_643104495757853_1125489111_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Mellor wrote: »
    This.

It's even more ridiculous when you look at the fact he didn't originally bring up depression specifically. He's initial post was;

Exactly. From what I took from it, he was talking about people choosing to be negative vs positive - those that are always complaining or finding fault in something.

I highly doubt he was referring to clinical depression.

Serious over analysis here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭thehairyone

When it comes to conor, some people are just looking for a reason to be offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭weemcd

When it comes to conor, some people are just looking for a reason to be offended.

Life in general, some people LOVE being offended

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

TBH I'm no Connor fan don't like his attitude, reminds me of Bisping, but I honestly can't see what he done wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pbee

And sometimes in life when there is a bandwagon, people wont care about the negatives they emit and they will brown nose regardless.

If he said "depression is a state of mind", its is a very ignorant and inconsiderate message. No two ways about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

There is a huge difference between a negative attitude and a chemical imbalance. I can see where Conor is coming from but he is way out of his depth on this one.

Stick to the fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Dethrone are certainly going to get their monies worth out of Conor McGregor. Too much, too soon? I'm a big fan of his and I think he has greatness in his future but this is a bit premature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

That video must of been his idea :) Just a bit of fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

This ad will be so embarrassing if he loses his next fight to a mid-tier guy in the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I think Connor think he's that famous although theres a poster saying Mcgregor Adlo 3.Do that mean Connor has lost at least once against Aldo.3 being a rubber match?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

He's also the champion in the third fight, so he must have gotten another shot at Aldo, having lost the first fight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement