Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Acer Laptop Support - Tech support only, read the rules or you will be banned

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Certainley, call me and I'll mail them to you. 0870 803 4915

I spoke to your support line several times over the past few weeks and I still haven't received the rubber pads for my C311XMI.

The motherboard was replaced a couple of weeks ago because the VGA out wasn't working and since then the track pad has developed a fault which means the courser drops to the corner of the screen and stays there when then the laptop is on for a few minutes.

The laptop is now unusable and the warranty which i presume is only 1 year is up a in a couple of weeks time.

• Hi Acer Service,

I have an Acer Aspire 7112WSMi, still under its 1 year warranty. A week ago I noticed that when I plugged in my charger, the laptop didn't charge. I at first assumed it was a faulty charger, but I then noticed that it felt like there was a slightly loose connection between the charger and the charger port in the laptop.
    I unfortunately don't know know anyone who has an Acer laptop or even a similar charger so I that can confirm what the problem is. Do you think there is a possiblilty that they might send me out a charger to check, to save me from posting that laptop for what could be no reason. And after testing the new charger I either:
    • pay for the new charger if it was the charger that was the problem
    • send the laptop to you if I find out that it wasn't the charger that was at fault

Any help is greatly appreciated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Acer Service

Hi Acer Service,

I have an Acer Aspire 7112WSMi, still under its 1 year warranty. *** Do you think there is a possiblilty that they might send me out a charger to check, to save me from posting that laptop for what could be no reason.

Unfortunately not, ACER don't supply us with parts for such a situation and usually only send us parts if we are returning the faulty parts at the same time. Also, this doesn't sound like it will be the PSU, it sounds more like you have broken the power pin off the main board to be honest, but I'd have to inspect it to tell that.

Send the entire unit including PSU back to us and we'll get it repaired for you asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Hi Acer Service,

Suspect there's nothing you can do for me, but no harm in asking.

My Travelmate 290 LCi died on me today. The screen went blank then the laptop tried to restart. It got as far as the Acer POST screen, but then restarted again. This happened a number of times, before stopping (though the machine was still powered on, and I had to hold down the power button to switch it off)

I don't believe the problem is HDD-related, as I replaced the HDD less than a year ago.

I tried entering the setup page from POST but after displaying some text the screen went blank completely (machine still needed to be powered off though)

I've googled and one of the first hits suggests the CMOS battery might need replacing http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=56804 Could that be the problem?

Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Hi,

this is not a big issue but hoping somebody could help me.

Bought an acer aspire 5612WLMi, when i was first setting it up had to make some selection for the keyboard type, cant remember what i chose, but now im finding that the keys are all messed up, eg. " is printed when the @ key is clicked & vice versa. The same for a lot of other keys.

Any suggestions on how to set the keyboard so that the keys print the right character, its getting a bit frustrating trying to find some of them!

• Advertisement

Hi Acer Service,

Suspect there's nothing you can do for me, but no harm in asking.

My Travelmate 290 LCi died on me today. The screen went blank then the laptop tried to restart. It got as far as the Acer POST screen, but then restarted again. This happened a number of times, before stopping (though the machine was still powered on, and I had to hold down the power button to switch it off)

Sounds definately main board related. You could possibly get away with a CMOS battery although a lot of the Acer ones are soldered on to the board and aren't easy to swap out. This will more than likely require an entire new main board though which wouldn't be economically viable.

sar84 wrote:
    Hi,

this is not a big issue but hoping somebody could help me.

Bought an acer aspire 5612WLMi, when i was first setting it up had to make some selection for the keyboard type, cant remember what i chose, but now im finding that the keys are all messed up, eg. " is printed when the @ key is clicked & vice versa. The same for a lot of other keys.

Any suggestions on how to set the keyboard so that the keys print the right character, its getting a bit frustrating trying to find some of them!

Hi,

You have accidently selected US keyboard settings, you will find the @ key gives you " symbols and vice versa. You must go into control panel, select reginal settings and change these settings to United Kingdom Keyboard settings

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Hi,

You have accidently selected US keyboard settings, you will find the @ key gives you " symbols and vice versa. You must go into control panel, select reginal settings and change these settings to United Kingdom Keyboard settings

Found it, Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭shane_by

I want to format my hard drive and reinstall Windows from the back up disk I made when I first got my laptop (I accidentally deleted the hidden partition on the hard drive so I can't restore factory settings). However, no matter what I do, the laptop will not boot from the CD ROM/DVD Drive. Neither changing the boot order within Acer eSettings Management or hitting F2 on startup and setting the drive to boot first works. On startup the computer briefly reads the CD but then boots into XP as normal.
    I can't think of anything I did to cause this. Another couple of weird things happened yesterday: first the time changed from 18.40 to 00.40 and the date changed to June 2005! Secondly, when I hit F2 and get into the setup screen the laptop's name is given as YYspire not Aspire. I never noticed that before so I can't say if this is something new.
    Any suggestions anybody??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

Hi,

My Acer laptop is still under warranty. Recently, the screen vibrates or jumps when I power up. It has happened on two occasions.

Can you advise please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

I don't know whether you can help with this or not. A friend of a friend has asked me to help him with an Aspire3633WLMi that he bought second hand. Somehow he managed to buy it without finding out what the BIOS password set on it was, so he can't get it to boot.

So, I'm wondering if there is any way in bypassing/resetting the BIOS password?

shane_by wrote:
    I want to format my hard drive and reinstall Windows from the back up disk I made when I first got my laptop (I accidentally deleted the hidden partition on the hard drive so I can't restore factory settings). However, no matter what I do, the laptop will not boot from the CD ROM/DVD Drive. Neither changing the boot order within Acer eSettings Management or hitting F2 on startup and setting the drive to boot first works. On startup the computer briefly reads the CD but then boots into XP as normal.
    I can't think of anything I did to cause this. Another couple of weird things happened yesterday: first the time changed from 18.40 to 00.40 and the date changed to June 2005! Secondly, when I hit F2 and get into the setup screen the laptop's name is given as YYspire not Aspire. I never noticed that before so I can't say if this is something new.
    Any suggestions anybody??

Sounds like your mainboard is faulty or at very least your CMOS battery. If you're setting the boot order then it's forgetting it because of a mainboard setting it will never boot from the CD. If it's under warranty then arrange for it to come in for repair www.acerwarranty.co.uk. If it's not under warranty the engineers could probably remaster the hard disk for you in another computer at very least and possibly repair the board for you at a small cost.

Hi,

My Acer laptop is still under warranty. Recently, the screen vibrates or jumps when I power up. It has happened on two occasions.

Can you advise please?

I've seen this on many 5100 range, return under warranty on www.acerwarranty.co.uk

Stky10 wrote:
    I don't know whether you can help with this or not. A friend of a friend has asked me to help him with an Aspire3633WLMi that he bought second hand. Somehow he managed to buy it without finding out what the BIOS password set on it was, so he can't get it to boot.

So, I'm wondering if there is any way in bypassing/resetting the BIOS password?

I wish I had better news, unfortunately, like dektop machines you have to either cross jumper terminals or remove the CMOS battery to reset/remove the BIOS password. If your not comfortable stripping the entire machine to get at the battery we will do it for £55 inc VAT, inc shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

I wish I had better news, unfortunately, like dektop machines you have to either cross jumper terminals or remove the CMOS battery to reset/remove the BIOS password. If your not comfortable stripping the entire machine to get at the battery we will do it for £55 inc VAT, inc shipping.

I reset the CMOS battery, but now its looking for the HDD password?. Any ideas?.

Stky10 wrote:
    I reset the CMOS battery, but now its looking for the HDD password?. Any ideas?.

That's basicly impossible I'm afraid. You need specific cracking software for that exact make/model/serial number of hard disk, which may be possible for some of the more common hard disk drives but in our experience it's not possible for Acer hard disks. You may have more luck than us (we don't spend much time trying to crack hdd passwords :P) but it's probably easier to buy a new hard disk to be honest, any laptop hard disk will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Heres a little history of the support I have received from Acer Support (ER Media) over the past three months.

Just of 3 months ago the VGA output failed on my Acer C311xmi (tablet) whilst I was watching a movie on my plasma. This is what happened....

- Told by The Laptop Shop thats its not their problem and I should contact Acer Support.
    - Spoke to Acer Support and booked laptop in for a warranty repair.
    - Got laptop back over a month later with a new motherboard. Memory was not seated in motherboard properly and some of the casing of the laptop was seperated. Rubber feet were removed from the bottom of the laptop. Sorted this myself in a few mins so no biggy.
    - The touchpad started to act up when I got the laptop back with the new motherboard and started taking on a life of its own.
    - After 2 weeks waiting for DHL to collect the laptop I found out that Acer had not booked the collection.
    - Laptop collected.
    - Received laptop back from repair with rubber feet installed, touchpad was not replaced and the laptop looks like its been dropped. Big dent in the corner and some of the plastics were seperated again all along the left hand side.

For the past 3 months I have been without a laptop, now it is just out of warrenty by 2 weeks. I am really appalled by the supposid support that Acer have provided.

Now I am left with an out of warranty broken laptop that I'm sure Acer will try to wash their hands of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 acerwarranty

Hi,

I am another staff member within ER-Media LTD.

In response to the previous post:

DHL sometimes state they dont receive our emails, we log everything that is done in our software and the collection is automatically emailed through to DHL. So somehow they must have mislead the collection request, something which we cant track due to the way DHL in the Republic Of Ireland work.

All laptops are inspected before they leave the repair centre to make sure that no scratches or dents were put in the chassis. Memory had more than likely become mis-aligned in transit. Touchpads have numerous components and although it may looked as if nothing was replaced it is more than likely an internal item was.

Please email me the current issues of the equipment along with the previous repair numbers and I will look into it for you.

Email: admin @ acerwarranty.co.uk (without the spaces - just to protect against automatic crawlers)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Hi,

I've been trying to get my laptop collected for repair, without much success for a few weeks now. I've rang many times and usually been told that they'd get back to me (which they haven't). I'd really like to get my laptop repaired within a reasonable time frame.

NeoSlicerZ wrote:
    Hi,

I've been trying to get my laptop collected for repair, without much success for a few weeks now. I've rang many times and usually been told that they'd get back to me (which they haven't). I'd really like to get my laptop repaired within a reasonable time frame.

Hi, Can you PM me your ERM reference number please, I'll take a look into it. Frankly couriers in the south of Ireland are terrible and unless you have static routes already set up with them they seem difficult to arrange definate times for collection. This is unfortunately the business environment in which we work, whilst we do everything we can to escalate the couriers to find the address and collect a parcel, if they cannot or will not travel to your address I suggest you drop the unit into a local depot or provide a more suitable address for collection.

• Advertisement

KTRIC wrote:
    Heres a little history of the support I have received from Acer Support (ER Media) over the past three months.

Just of 3 months ago the VGA output failed on my Acer C311xmi (tablet) whilst I was watching a movie on my plasma. This is what happened....

Please restrict your posts to Technical queries about Acer laptops, our aim is to help Acer customers within Ireland solve the issues they are having.

If you have specific issues with your repair contact us and discuss it with us. I would like this thread to remain positive and helpful to Acer customers.

As with any warranty service related business, it's an unfortunate truth that some customers will not feel satisfied with every part of the experience they have had. It is important to not accumulate these experiences here without the demonstrating the positive work that we do, creating an inaccurate representation of our service level.

We represent a large amount of very satisfied customers every week with whom we work closely to resolve the issues they are experiencing and appreciate the work we do. I want this thread to continue that work, providing a resource for known technical issues, thus helping our customers experience the continued working of their Acer product.

Regards,

Andrew Elwood

ACER Service Manager,
    ACER Warranty Centre Ireland,
    ER Media, IT Partner.

70 Scarva Street, Banbridge, Co. Down. BT32 3AD │ Tel: 0870 803 4915 │ Fax: 0870 803 4918 │ www .acerwarranty.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I would echo what Andrew is saying.

This is not the place to vent at Acer - if you have gripe (and taking it at face value, it certainly sounds like you have, KTRIC), an unofficial, public support forum like this is not the place to air those grievances. Take up directly with them in writing, or whatever.

I am updating the rules for this thread to reflect this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭curious_george

Apologies if this shouldn't be here but here goes:

I got a new Acer Aspire 5101 (WLMI I think) all's fine apart from when you are playing music or watching a DVD on it. It's like there is intermittent static when you listen, the quality is excellent but at different times you can here what can best be described as a 'fuzzy' sound. It happens with or without headphones connected.

Any ideas as to what it is?

Cheers.

Apologies if this shouldn't be here but here goes:

I got a new Acer Aspire 5101 (WLMI I think) all's fine apart from when you are playing music or watching a DVD on it. It's like there is intermittent static when you listen, the quality is excellent but at different times you can here what can best be described as a 'fuzzy' sound. It happens with or without headphones connected.

Any ideas as to what it is?

Cheers.

Hi,

This is what the thread is for :) It should certainley be here George.

We are unaware of any issues like that which you are describing. I may be that your volume settings need adjusting, sometimes if 1 volume control (wave volume for example) is too high and another (master volume for example) is lowered to compensate it can introduce hissing or static on the out line.

You could try using the Acer E-Recovery program to reset all software on the machine back to factory settings, this would rule out any software issues. BE AWARE THIS WILL WIPE ALL YOUR DATA!

If your still experiencing the problem after resetting the software and the machine is under warranty please log it with us on www.acerwarranty.co.uk and we will collect and repair the machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I've a Ferrari 4000 WLMI. The SD slot in the front does not read 2gb cards. If I use a PC card adaptor in the PC card slot on the side it does.

Is this a fault or a design limitation?

I've a Ferrari 4000 WLMI. The SD slot in the front does not read 2gb cards. If I use a PC card adaptor in the PC card slot on the side it does.

It's not something I've ever experienced, I'll look into this and come back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've seen this with my HP Laptop card reader - update the drivers, that should do it.

From what I read, Tom is correct. The new generation of larger cards are not recognisable by the old drivers present in your card reader. Update your drivers on Ferarri 4000 @ Acer.co.uk This should do the trick.

• Hi Acer Service.

I sent in my laptop as you recommened on June 11th. However it has not yet been returned. I have tried that phone number a few times but with no response. I was wondering if you could check on its progress? I've sent you my reference number via private message.

Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

Hi Acer Service.

I sent in my laptop as you recommened on June 11th. However it has not yet been returned. I have tried that phone number a few times but with no response. I was wondering if you could check on its progress? I've sent you my reference number via private message.

Thanks for your help.

I'll have a look for you now, see if I can sort it for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement