Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Nodin wrote: »
    I can't prove it, because I've no idea who voted or why. However the numbers for it vs the numbers in reality wearing it raise questions as to its veracity.

You could question any poll on this site. However i find it hard to believe ~380 people who voted yes did it purely for the purpose of wumming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Also, if the question had been 'will you be wearing a Poppy in Ireland on remembrance day to commemorate those who died fighting in the British Military' I suspect the 'Yes' vote would have been a little more reflective of reality (leaving aside the WUM factor).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

You could question any poll on this site. However i find it hard to believe ~380 people who voted yes did it purely for the purpose of wumming.
    But what if they did it purely for the purpose of bumming? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

O not all of them. However the approval rate of 42% seems far too high when you see the reality.

O not all of them. However the approval rate of 42% seems far too high when you see the reality.

The question is "Would you wear poppy?" not "Are you wearing a poppy?". They arent very widely available in Ireland so you're not going to see many people wearing them anyway for that reason alone.

• Advertisement

The question is "Would you wear poppy?" not "Are you wearing a poppy?". They arent very widely available in Ireland so you're not going to see many people wearing them anyway for that reason alone.

...thats one way of looking at it, but the fact is that I doubt even a quarter of that number could be seen on the streets wearing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

...thats one way of looking at it, but the fact is that I doubt even a quarter of that number could be seen on the streets wearing them.

I really can't believe this thread is still running - can't you leave until next November for now?

I think you will find the one of the reasons that many people choose to buy poppies but not wear them in public is for fear of harassment by 'patriots'. In much the same way that many people don't post in threads like this for fear that some psycho will try and identify them - they haven't gone away you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

many people don't post in threads like this for fear that some psycho will try and identify them

Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

Good points!
    I would like to ask the Gaelic purists on here if they think that the British colonialists are/ were morally inferior to Irish patriots.
    The reason that Britain subjugated a large part of the world is because they were able to, and it was the done thing at the time.
    Just as Irish slave traders raided the coast of western Briton back when they had the opportunity to do so. It was the ancient equivalent of Michael O'Leary trying to take over Aer Lingus.
    And it all happened so long ago!
    But our modern day wistful romantics continue to worship at the graves of Pearse and Tone and burn with resentment that a country, bigger than ours, more powerful than ours, better organised than ours and brave to the extent of foolhardiness took the liberty of invading us.
    In an ideal world it shouldn't have happened and we should have been left to our sport of stealing each others wives and driving each others cattle for another couple of hundred years. Unfortunately the world is seldom fair.
    I fail to see the point of working oneself into a lather of resentment about it.
    That kind of psychosis is corrosive to the soul and highly unlikely to bother the average Brit one jot.

Irish people were British...no one supported the 1916 rising until the British executed them.

You would have been hard pressed to distinguish the two....we were the BRITS they were us....Shaw was Irish and proudly so...he was also British.

Truthfully most people wanted to get on with their lives.

Many Irish were in the British Army...Padraig or Patrick Pearse was half English...infact others within the rising were English.

We were apart of Britain...not all of that was bad...not all of them were bad...not all of us were good....and who was British and who was Irish...he who cares is zenophobic.

We needed /need to establish civil rights universally....worrying about flower seems trivial...:confused:...the remembrance of Allied forces in ww2 is honorable....the idea that in doing so you are condoning something like Bloody Sunday is just stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Who's 'them'?
    The wolf tone deaf?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

Funny, I was certain that I'd generally concentrated on Africa during the thread. You might highlight a post or two of mine that shows this 'little islander' thing in action.....or are you going to do your usual when asked a question and dissappear into the ether?

I actually was not referring to anyone...you seem determined to refer personally to me however.
    I don't have hours to post i have work and a life.

The idea that wearing a poppy to commemorate the allies in WW2 or a relative or anything honorable somehow condones something like Bloody Sunday or slavery is stupid.

The Irish state repressed homosexuality ...does that mean if you sing amhrán na Bhfiann you are homophobic???

The British like all nations have done good and bad ...the poppy commemorates the good.

Stop pretending you are standing up for civil rights many black people in Britain wear the poppy.

You are just bitter for something that did not even happen personally to you.

The whole attitude is little islanderish....Ireland WAS Britain.

Anyway it was not a 'British' thing per say....but a class one....the aristocracy were the issue the fact is WW2 helped end that and the poppy actually is a symbol of that sacrifice ....that classless struggle for what is right. That is what it is MEANT to be ....it represents an ideal....and we all fall short of our ideals

But saying wearing a poppy means you are condoning atrocities in Africa makes no sense to me....

It is about supporting the good not the bad.
    When Irish people were waving American flags to welcome the president they did not think hey ..what about all the Atrocities committed in the name of this flag???

Would you have a problem with Irish people hanging a Union Jack if they wanted to ?

I actually was not referring to anyone...you seem determined to refer (...........) Union Jack if they wanted to ?

Slavery? I'm fairly sure I didn't throw that one in there.
    The British like all nations have done good and bad ...the poppy commemorates the good.

The fact is that funds from purchasing the poppy go to ex service personell, and these have been involved in various colonial actions, from the middle east to Africa to Asia. And yes, they were up north as well.
    The Irish state repressed homosexuality ...does that mean if you sing amhrán na Bhfiann you are homophobic???

Wtf?
    Stop pretending you are standing up for civil rights many black people in Britain wear the poppy.

And again - Wtf?
    But saying wearing a poppy means you are condoning atrocities in Africa makes no sense to me....

Thats because you don't understand the significance of it, and seem to be under the delusion its confined to WWI and II.

You're contributing financially to ex-british service personell. They did indeed - under orders - commit atrocities in Africa and elsewhere for the sole purpose of maintaining an empire.

You might take a read of this post and answer the question therein
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81679553&postcount=1229

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I think you will find the one of the reasons that many people choose to buy poppies but not wear them in public is for fear of harassment by 'patriots'. In much the same way that many people don't post in threads like this for fear that some psycho will try and identify them - they haven't gone away you know.

So says the Terminator from Diego Garcia:rolleyes:

Yeh sure, stay in your fantasy world, millions of people are terrified to buy a poppy:rolleyes: You sure you were not suppose to post that tripe in the Humour forum?!

It must really hurt the British Unionist point of view that Irish people want their own self determination, have zero interest in this British military poppy lark and don't want to be ruled by Britain. And in saying that does NOT mean Irish people are anti-British, the British Empire is long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

gurramok wrote: »

Yeh sure, stay in your fantasy world, millions of people are terrified to buy a poppy:rolleyes: You sure you were not suppose to post that tripe in the Humour forum?!

It must really hurt the British Unionist point of view that Irish people want their own self determination, have zero interest in this British military poppy lark and don't want to be ruled by Britain. And in saying that does NOT mean Irish people are anti-British, the British Empire is long gone.

It's true that most people in the Republic don't want to be ruled by Britian.
    What they do want is:
    To be at peace with modern Britian.
    To be able to come and go freely betwen the two nations.
    To share in the culture Britian has to offer.
    To share [ if that is their wish] in the common rites left in the afterglow of our shared history.
    To feel at ease with each other and f**king enjoy ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

gurramok wrote: »

Last post - I promise - in this worn out thread.

I was referring to Ireland - where some people feel intimidated if they wear a poppy and sellers have also been abused.

I don't know why you make such a big deal of my anonymous username and location - a bit of fun - and no less obscure than your own. :rolleyes:

PS This thread is about wearing poppies and nothing else - not being ruled by Britain or the British Empire but some people have succeeded in derailing the thread.

Bye now, until next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Sometimes I almost feel like wearing one of the damn things, just to irritate the uberpats and the "I'm more Irish than you" brigade :D

Anyways, I reckons that wraps it up for this year? See you again, same place, same argument, same result next yearzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

one not wishing to is a perfectly valid reason

I agree with you 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

if anyone who goes to another country to earn his living certainly if they are in the media,should leave his or her politics at home,what he did was upsetting to many people in the UK, and the idiot fringe jumped on it,the team should not of played him knowing his feelings,then none of this would be known

getz wrote: »
    if anyone who goes to another country to earn his living certainly if they are in the media,should leave his or her politics at home,what he did was upsetting to many people in the UK, and the idiot fringe jumped on it,the team should not of played him knowing his feelings,then none of this would be known

Justifying death threats eh? Nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Agreed nobody should be receiving death threats because they didn't wear a Poppy. Some people need to take a long hard look at themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

More proof that it doesn't take much to inspire someone from the idiot extreme of football fandom to make an empty online death threat.

I hope they catch him and lock him up as an example.

death threats ,is that not that the republican way,

death threats ,is that not that the republican way,

'Don't look at me, look at them, look at them!!!!!'

And you on here, justifying threats against a lad just because he refused to wear a poppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,135 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If we are to label not wearing a Poppy as being political..

i never said any threats against the football player is justified,and i never said that wearing the poppy was political you are making up your own agenda to create mischief,as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 26,135 ✭✭✭✭noodler

i never said any threats against the football player is justified,and i never said that wearing the poppy was political you are making up your own agenda to create mischief,as usual

I haven't posted on this thread before. Nor have I ever talked with you on boards before (have I?).

I did not mean to put words in your mouth - just a general comment that "not" wearing something has to be seen as a personal freedom rather than a political statement.

Otherwise all personal freedoms will be sacrificed for fear of upsetting others.

noodler wrote: »
    If we are to label not wearing a Poppy as being political..

A very, very salient point Sir.

It is a bit odd that getz stated

about young McClean, when he had previously stated
    Getz wrote:
    i am pointing out to you where the monies from the poppy appeal goes to,none of it has anything to do with politics,much to the dismay of those repubicaians who killed many old men and woman and maimed dozens of others by bombing a memorial service in enniskillen on poppy day,all they were doing was remembering their dead,
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81476581
    Getz wrote:
    as far as WW11 ireland is on its own in thinking the alies were wrong to stop nazi germany,even in germany its excepted there was no choice,the poppy is to commemorate the fallen not politics,something you do not seem to understand,
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79093801&postcount=486
    Getz wrote:
    the poppy is not political, its just about remembering those who gave up their lives ,sons husbands brothers uncles they never came back from the front,and yes many irishmen died in the wars,and the ones who joined up in the first world war,went with the blessing of all the irish political parties,and when they came back the irish people turned against them ,
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75278152&postcount=584
    (my bold etc)

You responded to an article about a man receiving death threats by criticising the man in question.

You went on to imply that his not wearing the poppy was a political act and he should leave his politics 'at home'. If not wearing the poppy is a political act, then obviously wearing it is one too.

• Advertisement

He shouldnt be forced to wear it. Forcing people and guilt tripping them into wearing just ruins the message and symbolism of the poppy.

Advertisement