Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ticket for not displaying tax

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

djimi wrote: »
    Parked on, used on, its the same thing with regards that form. The car is on a public road, therefore it is using the public road. It doesnt matter if it is stationary at the time.

I see what you are getting at, and by all means take a chance and try use it as a loophole, but if the guards dont like what you are doing and they deem it that you have signed a false declaration then you could be in a lot of trouble.

I really don't understand.
    It seems to be really simple sentence. I repeat it again:
    I declare that the vehicle had not been used by me or with my consent in public place in the period from .... to ....

There's only one way to understand it.
    Besides, "parked on" and "used on" is diffenet thing. That's for sure.
    You say that car is on public road, therefore it's using the public road. That's true. But again it has nothing to do with declaration.
    Because you didn't declare, that your car wasn't using the public road. You declared, that you didn't use the car on public road. And these two sentences have completely different point.

I could compare it to similar example.
    Let's say you want to declare, that you were not laying on your bed.
    Someone tells you that you did false declaration, because your bed is laying on the floor.
    Can you see the nonsense here?

And yes. I you get charged by making false declaration you will be in serious trouble.
    But by all means, this declaration we were talking about is not false.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

CiniO, it really depends on the strict meaning of 'use' in the particular context.

It could be that simply parking your car in a public place constitutes 'use'. I would say that 'use' is defined in the relevant Act somewhere.

I think it would be unsafe to rely on the normal meaning of the word in this instance.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

CiniO wrote: »
    There's only one way to understand it.
    Besides, "parked on" and "used on" is diffenet thing. That's for sure.
    You say that car is on public road, therefore it's using the public road. That's true. But again it has nothing to do with declaration.
    Because you didn't declare, that your car wasn't using the public road. You declared, that you didn't use the car on public road. And these two sentences have completely different point.

And yes. I you get charged by making false declaration you will be in serious trouble.
    But by all means, this declaration we were talking about is not false.

But the car is being used on a public road with your consent; youre the one who parked it there, or at least consented to it being parked there. You are consenting to it being used in a public place, therefore by signing that form it would be considered a false declaration.

Given that you can get a ticket for having a car parked in a public place without a current tax disc Im going to say with 90% certainty that in the case of the declaration of the car being off the road, the phrase "used by" also covers cars which are parked on a public road, but given that I am not a lawyer I cannot say for definate. Id be interested to see someone in the legal professions interpretation of it, but without a proper interpretation Id say you would be on very shakey ground to sign a declaration to say the car was off the road in this instance, especially given that if you have interpreted it wrong the car is already in the system as having been on the road in that time, and you would almost certainly be done for signing a false declaration.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

If I were you, I would pay the fines, move the car and leave it at that.
    But if it is a requirment to tax a parked but out of use car, the tickets were issued in August, so you could always get the car signed off the road up until July, and tax it from August for 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dubluc

The Road Traffic Acts define use as including to park.
    A car parked in a public place must be taxed and insured and have a national car test (if over four years old) and have the discs displayed.
    If the OP moves the car without first making sure he/she is insured then thats very serious.
    Also it is a serious offence to knowingly make a false declaration.

Solution: Pay the fines or riske higher fines and a conviction in court. Insure the car and move it to a private place or tow it away to a private place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 dulaman

yeah thanks dubluc and everyone else, that's the conclusion i've come to. jumped it any my friend drove it who had third party insurance.

got another fine in the post though.

does anybody know if the guards are required to put notice of a fine on windshield of the vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dubluc

dulaman wrote: »
    yeah thanks dubluc and everyone else, that's the conclusion i've come to. jumped it any my friend drove it who had third party insurance.

does anybody know if the guards are required to put notice of a fine on windshield of the vehicle?

You are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Just for future reference be very careful re insurance. Most 3rd party insurance polices don't permit you to drive other cars, it's generally an optional extra or a benefit given available with comprehensive policies.

No, a ticket is not required to be placed on the vehicle. The notice in the post is enough.

I'm sensing some déjà vu here.

Advertisement