Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

krudler wrote: »
    just delete the app and reinstall it, should fix it

Just did this. Still not working won't even get to the sign in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Just looking back over the posts in this thread and the US version seems to be the way to go. I'm on the Irish version and I'll probably cancel it before the free month is up. In my opinion the content is very limited so there's nothing much there to keep me signed up. Hopefully this will improve over time but at the moment it's not worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Stay on topic please everyone. Recommendations and content discussion only.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Watched The Secret of Kells on US last night. Nice little film that looks gorgeous and explores Irish legend.

its a pity more Irish movies cant have as much charm as that instead of stupid comedies all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

Elvira - mistress of the dark.
    It's an oldie (Irish version)
    Bit it's intentionally bad like old horrors.
    I can recommend it for some light comical relief (if - for comedy - never been kissed and the likes of it just annoy you)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I watched Black Death with Sean Bean. It was actually pretty good, gorey and violent. An eerie sense of inevitable doom throughout the movie. Sean Bean pretty much plays a super religious Ned Stark.

Also my Netflix is working again, order has been restored!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    I watched Black Death with Sean Bean. It was actually pretty good, gorey and violent. An eerie sense of inevitable doom throughout the movie. Sean Bean pretty much plays a super religious Boromir.

Also my Netflix is working again, order has been restored!

fyp :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Passengers (Anne Hathaway) - not up to much tbh, just another predictable and cliched Supernatural drama.

Streets of Blood (Val Kilmer, Sharon Stone and, wait for it, Fiddy Cent :rolleyes: ) - a convoluted cop thriller with hammy dialogue, a pure time killer if ever there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭daredevil360

Watched Senna on Netflix (US) last night. I missed out on its release last year.

I'm not interested in F1 at all but it's an incredible film. Really powerful stuff. I'd strongly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

+1 Great flick whether you like F1 or not .Legend :)

My i recommend Inside Job

A good description about how the whole wall street crash came about ,well narrated

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched 3 documentaries last night.

Billabong Odyssey: Some great footage in it but a pretty dull film overall. Starts out saying they're going hunting the globe for the biggest wave but then the movie just spends the whole time focusing on the most well known and filmed big wave spots in the world. Some great footage in it though, if you're not into the sport that much I suggest watching the first 3 minutes!

King of Kong: Thought this was brilliant, plays out like a great underdog sports movie. You're really rooting for Steve by the end. Oh and regardless of any innacuracies in the film, screw you Billy Mitchell. Highly Recommended, brilliant film.

Being Elmo(US only): Another great documentary. A touching and honest portrait of the puppeteer behind elmo. Would work as a great double bill with the new Muppet movie. Enjoyed it immensely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Watched Senna just now aswell just fantastic recommended to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

The Princess Bride: great comedy fantasy adventure film from the late 80s. I'm sure most of you have seen it but, if you've missed out, it's up there on Irish NF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

I think this has been posted before so maybe this is more of an endorsement than a recommendation.

Dear Zachary is a documentary made by...well its hard to explain without ruining the story. You may already know it but in case you dont, and you want to see this movie, dont research it, just check it out. Very moving story about a man who touched so many different peoples lives. Check it out.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Watched 3 documentaries last night.

King of Kong: Thought this was brilliant, plays out like a great underdog sports movie. You're really rooting for Steve by the end. Oh and regardless of any innacuracies in the film, screw you Billy Mitchell. Highly Recommended, brilliant film.

love that movie, Billy Mitchell is indeed a cockbag no matter how he's portrayed, his beard is too well kept as well, thats always a sign of someone being shady.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Just seen doc there i seen over the christmas its called "the winnebagoman" . Its basically about the man on that youtube clip of the man trying to sell winabagos and swears alot.

On the phone so cant link to clip but check it out i thought it was good.

edit here the link to the youtube video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Watched Chaw last night, or Chawz as it's called in America, and I'm really not sure what to make of it... a darkly comedic pastiche of Jaws where a mutant wild boar terrorises a South Korean mountain village. At times the humour is spot on, at others it descends too far into utter farce imo, and undermined the film as a whole. Strange one, but definitely worth the watch.

Who'll Stop The Rain is one of those films that every cinema buff has heard about but few have seen. Largely unavailable over here and only on a sub par and over priced DVD in the US it's the very definition of a forgotten classic.

The story is simple, John Converse a jaded war correspondent stationed in Saigon asks his friend Ray Hicks to smuggle heroin back to the US for him. Once there Hicks is to leave the drugs with Converse's wife Marge. As is the way with things the plan doesn't exactly work out and Hicks soon finds himself on the run with Marge and the heroin in tow. Upon arriving home Converse finds himself kidnapped by a corrupt DEA agent and his two goons who want their heroin back.

It may sound generic as hell but in reality it's a complicated morality play about the Vietnam war the scars it left. Featuring a blistering performance from Nick and fine support from Michael Moriarity and Tuesday Weld it's a deeply cynical adult drama that deserves to be far better known than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Please no more recommendations for The King of Kong & Dear Zachary, we get it they are good documentaries.

love that movie, Billy Mitchell is indeed a cockbag no matter how he's portrayed, his beard is too well kept as well, thats always a sign of someone being shady.

I read the wiki page, apparently they edited the movie so he actually didn't look as bad as he really was!

Mickeroo wrote: »

I read the wiki page, apparently they edited the movie so he actually didn't look as bad as he really was!

Supposedly he's a very charming if self centred man. Much as I like the doc its unfair to all involved to judge them based upon what's on screen. Some selective editing can make even the nicest of people look like complete dicks and there's some obvious selective editing in the film.

The infamous "snub" scene is a point of contention with a lot of people, there's an additional 7 seconds or so of footage where Mitchell supposedly acknowledges him back. The whole who has high score argument involved another player in real life and the entire controversy aroused from it on screen was settled far quicker in real life.

• Advertisement

The infamous "snub" scene is a point of contention with a lot of people, there's an additional 7 seconds or so of footage where Mitchell supposedly acknowledges him back. The whole who has high score argument involved another player in real life and the entire controversy aroused from it on screen was settled far quicker in real life.

that where Mitchell is leading his wife around the arcade as Weibe is playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

You can now search by actor on US Netflix

Anyone else get an email invite to take part in a survey re Netflix's service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Anyone else get an email invite to take part in a survey re Netflix's service?

I didn't but my friend did. Looks like they are hitting random users. MAke you sure to tell them that we need better search functionality! :D

Skinfull wrote: »
    I didn't but my friend did. Looks like they are hitting random users. MAke you sure to tell them that we need better search functionality! :D
    Aye, was first on my list :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

+1 for The Bridge. Probably the most powerful documentary I've ever watched

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mrsscott

Just finished watching Wuthering Heights with Tom Hardy, Charlotte Riley and Andrew Lincoln. Absolutely brilliant two part drama and great performances by the three lead characters.

If you're a fan of Tom Hardy this one is definitely worth the watch. Yet again he nails the tortured character but yet brings an element of sex appeal even as he's being so threatening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭markc1184

Just finished the first season of Friday Night Lights. I've really enjoyed it. How do the other seasons compare to the first?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Title: Religulous
    Starring: Bill Maher

MV5BMTIxMDcxMTA3M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzk5NzU2MQ@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Just finished watching this really worth a watch ( unless you are a religious type ) it was funny and thought provoking all at the same time
    would give 4/5 stars , I would give it 5 but Bill for me did not have enough counter arguments

• Advertisement

markc1184 wrote: »
    Just finished the first season of Friday Night Lights. I've really enjoyed it. How do the other seasons compare to the first?

the 2nd was around the time of the writers strike so its meh to crap, but stick with it, it gets better and better. I thought I was gonna hate Tim Riggins from the first few episodes but he's my favourite character in it now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement