Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clerical Officer 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sweetiesloth

If CO is based on similar questions to TCO all well and good but somehow I find it hard to believe that this is the case. Why is this CO 2020 different to the previous CO campaigns ..... they love using the aptitude tests which I find unfair as not everyone is good at these aptitude tests but it does not mean they cannot do the job! People shouldn't be judged on these tests to do the work. I myself have worked as a TCO and have done the job but when it comes to these bloody tests they knock my confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sweetiesloth

doc22 wrote: »
    I don't know about this, the questionnaire even if it were a good indicator can be done by someone else and no way check. And How will the panel move faster, if anything the panel will move alot slower as those with poor maths/verbal skills won't be weeded out.How will having no aptitude tests mean people will get more jobs?

Yes, I know what you are saying about weeding out poor math and verbal skills. They have to have some sort of aptitude test, they must have. There will be loads of people applying for thee positions, so I am sure there will have to be some sort of test to narrow down the applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭SB1982

tringle wrote: »
    Just applied, want to move location too and mobility shut down this Wednesday.

What do you mean when you say “mobility shut down”.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chaikhosi

Any idea if Brits can still go for this after Brexit? I looked at the eligibility rules Word document and it talks about EEA citizens or people with a stamp 4 visa. At the moment I'm neither.
    EO2019 wrote: »
    Just went live - nationwide incl Dublin. Looks like no aptitude tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

chaikhosi wrote: »
    Any idea if Brits can still go for this after Brexit? I looked at the eligibility rules Word document and it talks about EEA citizens or people with a stamp 4 visa. At the moment I'm neither.

Brits are unusual in that even after brexit, with the common travel area, they are likely to retain the right to live and work in Ireland - which is essentially the requirement you are referring too

UK are EEA until 31/12/2020 and I would assume your eligible, if you were eligible at the time of applying.

If your concerned, send PAS an email however you may need to point out the above in your email so to be clear why you believe you should be eligible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

chaikhosi wrote: »

I'm a Brit, living here 20+ years. I applied and was successful in the TCO campaign 2020 and I'm waiting for PAS to offer me a temp position, but in the meantime I'll be applying for the permanent position.

So I would say go for it - best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 the1eyedsnake

Has anyone tried applying through Irish Language? or has done it previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

SB1982 wrote: »
    What do you mean when you say “mobility shut down”.

Got an email from Peoplepoint last week (well actually 17 emails) saying my organisation has put everyones mobility on hold and will review it in 6 months. So applying for CO 2020 as may get through that quicker. Ive an hours commute each way to work and would like to be closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭SB1982

tringle wrote: »
    Got an email from Peoplepoint last week (well actually 17 emails) saying my organisation has put everyones mobility on hold and will review it in 6 months. So applying for CO 2020 as may get through that quicker. Ive an hours commute each way to work and would like to be closer to home.

I’m not eligible for mobility for another year but I’m on the list...didn’t get any email at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

SB1982 wrote: »
    I’m not eligible for mobility for another year but I’m on the list...didn’t get any email at all.

Im not eligible either but counting down the days😂. Must have been specific to our department, was tough on those ready to move in the next few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 DarceyEllie

Has anyone tried applying through Irish Language? or has done it previously?

Yes I was going to apply via the Irish language stream but worried my Irish wouldn't be good enough. Are you fluent ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I am also interested in applying for the Irish language position. I am worried that the counties I choose might limit my ability to exploit this extra skill? Or it my interest in the Irish language side evaluated separately?

Anybody know what standard is expect? It says a B2 will be required according to the European self assessment framework. Is that equivalent to the Leaving Cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭jackreacher

Applied now.

Does anyone know where you can practise the aptitude tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DarkJ

Applied now.

Try this. Links are at the bottom of the page.

https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/information-hub/our-recruitment-process/test-advice

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Applied now.

Not sure they are doing aptitude tests time around, or at least the information booklet didnt specify numerical/verbal reasoning was involved.

With the economy going so well, i dont think they were expecting high interest in these roles this time around... of course, that was before the economy collapsed last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Not sure they are doing aptitude tests time around, or at least the information booklet didnt specify numerical/verbal reasoning was involved.

With the economy going so well, i dont think they were expecting high interest in these roles this time around... of course, that was before the economy collapsed last weekend

I was gonna post earlier, does anyone else think the ways things have gone over the last few weeks and the inevitable downturn in upcoming months/years this campaign may not be a very active one ? The state is gonna be heavily indebted after all this, don't know is recruitment in the public sector gonna be high on their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 manus35

In the booklet it mentioned interviews / required tests in late April. I'm not sure of the exact wording because I don't now have the booklet. it it seems kind of odd. They will give you that behaviour / personality test,then give you an Order of Merit ,then a possible interview and test. Surely that aptitude test should be done online and before any interview not to waste anyone's time,the tests are useless anyway and don't reflect real life at all !!

Also wondering how the Coronavirus will impact the whole process.On one hand the economy is screwed but then there is increased need for more staff to deal with unemployment and backlog

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

manus35 wrote: »
    In the booklet it mentioned interviews / required tests in late April. I'm not sure of the exact wording because I don't now have the booklet. it it seems kind of odd. They will give you that behaviour / personality test,then give you an Order of Merit ,then a possible interview and test. Surely that aptitude test should be done online and before any interview not to waste anyone's time,the tests are useless anyway and don't reflect real life at all !!

Also wondering how the Coronavirus will impact the whole process.On one hand the economy is screwed but then there is increased need for more staff to deal with unemployment and backlog

Next step, there will be an online assessment questionnaire (multiple choice and situation based) that should not take more than an hour to complete. Candidates will then be given a panel number and will be called for interview based on this. PAS have confirmed there will be no aptitude tests for this competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

It's sick how little money they offer. Have they no shame? How are people especially in Dublin supposed to survive on such salaries? You'd think the government at least would look to match the salaries they offer, even for lower positions, with the costs of living. Does anyone in this country care for non-high paid workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Laura99

The_Brood wrote: »
    It's sick how little money they offer. Have they no shame? How are people especially in Dublin supposed to survive on such salaries? You'd think the government at least would look to match the salaries they offer, even for lower positions, with the costs of living. Does anyone in this country care for non-high paid workers?

It's not a bad salary scale for entry level work.

• Advertisement

Laura99 wrote: »
    It's not a bad salary scale for entry level work.

Suppose that depends on where you're located or looking to be placed or at what stage you are in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Its standard entry level pay for entry level workers, unfortunately there is no "premium" just because it's a State job.
    And for the first year you are on probation anyway, with a PMDS style meeting with your HEO every 90 days...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

The rate of remuneration is clearly set out from the start. If people are not happy with it, then they should not apply. You also have to take into consideration that it increases each year and you are pretty much guaranteed a job going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Its standard entry level pay for entry level workers, unfortunately there is no "premium" just because it's a State job.
    And for the first year you are on probation anyway, with a PMDS style meeting with your HEO every 90 days...

Actually there is a premium, but you don't get it until you've been there for a few years and are earning far more than anywhere else would pay for basic clerical work, with excellent job security.

How does anyone live on the money: house-sharing, and having a 2nd job at night and/or the weekend.

Got the message on my message board regarding the online questionnaire, it's to be completed by 30th March, shorter time frame than previous campaigns if i remember correctly (I may be wrong).

• Registered Users Posts: 13 I wonder why?

Got the message on my message board regarding the online questionnaire, it's to be completed by 30th March, shorter time frame than previous campaigns if i remember correctly (I may be wrong).

Same here. Familiarisation material also sent which is worth using and practicing with before doing the assessment. Again best of luck to everyone ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Calathea

Same here. Familiarisation material also sent which is worth using and practicing with before doing the assessment. Again best of luck to everyone ðŸ‘

I haven't received a link yet. Am in Galway. Wonder are they contacting Dublin applicants first?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Belle23

Calathea wrote: »
    I haven't received a link yet. Am in Galway. Wonder are they contacting Dublin applicants first?

I am in Clare and got the message

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Calathea wrote: »

I'm in Louth and didn't get it either, maybe they are doing it in batches?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Laura99

Just got the message now, in Kildare. Good Luck.

Advertisement